how to call a javascript function with no arguments?

how to call a javascript function with no arguments?

Alexis Argyris
Hello,

I am very newbie at smalltalk, amber, helios, etc, so please bear with me.

I followed the directions at getting-started and everything went surprisingly well. So I got a bit ambitious and tried to load an external javascript library (pathjs). I did that, I can see its methods in the class browser and call all its functions that have one or more arguments. But I don't know how to call a javascript function with no arguments - presumably the simplest case! I tried this:

Path listen value

but I get a "type error: object is not a function" on "listen" and I'm stuck. Can you please help me out?

Thanks in advance

Alexis

Re: how to call a javascript function with no arguments?

Herby Vojčík
Path listen

Alexis Argyris <[hidden email]>napísal/a:

Hello,

I am very newbie at smalltalk, amber, helios, etc, so please bear with me.

I followed the directions at getting-started and everything went surprisingly well. So I got a bit ambitious and tried to load an external javascript library (pathjs). I did that, I can see its methods in the class browser and call all its functions that have one or more arguments. But I don't know how to call a javascript function with no arguments - presumably the simplest case! I tried this:

Path listen value

but I get a "type error: object is not a function" on "listen" and I'm stuck. Can you please help me out?

Thanks in advance

Alexis

Re: how to call a javascript function with no arguments?

Alexis Argyris
thanks a lot for the reply, actually i tried that too, what i got is: "type error object is not a function" on "listen".

any other ideas?

On Thursday, January 29, 2015 at 9:46:29 AM UTC+2, Herby wrote:
Path listen

Alexis Argyris <<a href="javascript:" target="_blank" gdf-obfuscated-mailto="JnMk_wHbRCAJ" rel="nofollow" onmousedown="this.href='javascript:';return true;" onclick="this.href='javascript:';return true;">alexis....@...>napísal/a:

I followed the directions at <a href="http://docs.amber-lang.net/getting-started.html" target="_blank" rel="nofollow" onmousedown="this.href='http://www.google.com/url?q\75http%3A%2F%2Fdocs.amber-lang.net%2Fgetting-started.html\46sa\75D\46sntz\0751\46usg\75AFQjCNHpQS1UBuuRisySefGL4GbYjZs0Eg';return true;" onclick="this.href='http://www.google.com/url?q\75http%3A%2F%2Fdocs.amber-lang.net%2Fgetting-started.html\46sa\75D\46sntz\0751\46usg\75AFQjCNHpQS1UBuuRisySefGL4GbYjZs0Eg';return true;">getting-started and everything went surprisingly well. So I got a bit ambitious and tried to load an external javascript library (pathjs). I did that, I can see its methods in the class browser and call all its functions that have one or more arguments. But I don't know how to call a javascript function with no arguments - presumably the simplest case! I tried this:

Path listen value

but I get a "type error: object is not a function" on "listen" and I'm stuck. Can you please help me out?

Thanks in advance

Alexis

Re: how to call a javascript function with no arguments?

Alexis Argyris
let me give you some more infor to potentially save time. here is what i've tried:

Path map: '#/home' to: [ self goHome ].
Path map: '#/about' to: [ self goAbout ].
Path root: '#/home'.
Path listen

I get an error at last line

Thanks

I followed the directions at <a href="http://docs.amber-lang.net/getting-started.html" rel="nofollow" target="_blank" onmousedown="this.href='http://www.google.com/url?q\75http%3A%2F%2Fdocs.amber-lang.net%2Fgetting-started.html\46sa\75D\46sntz\0751\46usg\75AFQjCNHpQS1UBuuRisySefGL4GbYjZs0Eg';return true;" onclick="this.href='http://www.google.com/url?q\75http%3A%2F%2Fdocs.amber-lang.net%2Fgetting-started.html\46sa\75D\46sntz\0751\46usg\75AFQjCNHpQS1UBuuRisySefGL4GbYjZs0Eg';return true;">getting-started and everything went surprisingly well. So I got a bit ambitious and tried to load an external javascript library (pathjs). I did that, I can see its methods in the class browser and call all its functions that have one or more arguments. But I don't know how to call a javascript function with no arguments - presumably the simplest case! I tried this:

Alexis Argyris wrote:
> thanks a lot for the reply, actually i tried that too, what i got is:
> "type error object is not a function" on "listen".
>
> any other ideas?

No "other ideas". It _is_ Path listen. In case that typeof Path.listen
=== "function", of course, and you want to call Path.listen(). If not,
than I don't know what you wanted. To read more on how to use JavaScript
from Amber, there is a dedicated wiki page for that in github amber
repository.

Getting "type error object is not a function" when evaluating `Path
listen` is very strange, though. There is no reason why that error
should appear there (Either listen is a function and is called, or it is
an object, and then it is returned - or, the Path.listen() actually gets
called, but the error happens inside of it - do you use Path.listen()
call correctly? Isn't it trying to "call" something inside which happens
to be an object?)

Investigate what is there in (JS) Path.listen and if it does not throw
the same exception to you when you call it from JS console as
`Path.listen()` (in which case, Amber is proven non-guilty; calling
Path.listen() itself is).

Herby

Re: how to call a javascript function with no arguments?

Ryan Simmons-2
A brief look at pathjs leads me to think that you should try

(Path map: '#/home') to: [ self goHome ].
(Path map: '#/about') to: [ self goAbout ].
Path root: '#/home'.
Path listen
--------------

Path map: '#/home' to: [ self goHome ]. translates to javascript as Path.map('#/home', function() { .....}) and you want to do Path.map('#/home').to(function () {.....})

Ryan Simmons wrote:

> A brief look at pathjs leads me to think that you should try
>
> (Path map: '#/home') to: [ self goHome ].
> (Path map: '#/about') to: [ self goAbout ].
> Path root: '#/home'.
> Path listen
> --------------
>
> Path map: '#/home' to: [ self goHome ]. translates to javascript as
> Path.map('#/home', function() { .....}) and you want to do
> Path.map('#/home').to(function () {.....})

That can explain the "object is not a function" when listen assumes function was mapped but it in fact was not.

> On 29 January 2015 at 11:15, Herby Vojčík <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>

>     Alexis Argyris wrote:
>
>         thanks a lot for the reply, actually i tried that too, what i
>         got is:
>         "type error object is not a function" on "listen".
>
>         any other ideas?
>

>     No "other ideas". It _is_ Path listen. In case that typeof
>     Path.listen === "function", of course, and you want to call
>     Path.li
sten(). If not, than I don't know what you wanted. To read

>     more on how to use JavaScript from Amber, there is a dedicated
>     wiki page for that in github amber repository.
>
>     Getting "type error object is not a function" when evaluating
>     `Path listen` is very strange, though. There is no reason why that
>     error should appear there (Either listen is a function and is
>     called, or it is an object, and then it is returned - or, the
>     Path.listen() actually gets called, but the error happens inside
>     of it - do you use Path.listen() call correctly? Isn't it trying
>     to "call" something inside which happens to be an object?)
>
>     Investigate what is there in (JS) Path.listen and if it does not
>     throw the same exception to you when you call it from JS console
>     as `Path.listen()` (in which case, Amber is proven non-guilty;
>     calling Path.listen() itself is).
>
>     Herby

Re: how to call a javascript function with no arguments?

sebastianconcept
Welcome Alexis!
Thanks for the feedback on getting started, we are working on documentation and I was wondering if that one was updated.

Regarding to routing, you can take a look at how flow uses rlite, a 1kb routing library:

Also, to get you unstuck on some situations, remember that you can inline javascript in any object method like this:

MyObject>>doThisWithJS
  <console.log(self)>

from mobile

On 29/01/2015, at 05:29, Alexis Argyris <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello,

I am very newbie at smalltalk, amber, helios, etc, so please bear with me.

I followed the directions at getting-started and everything went surprisingly well. So I got a bit ambitious and tried to load an external javascript library (pathjs). I did that, I can see its methods in the class browser and call all its functions that have one or more arguments. But I don't know how to call a javascript function with no arguments - presumably the simplest case! I tried this:

Path listen value

but I get a "type error: object is not a function" on "listen" and I'm stuck. Can you please help me out?

Thanks in advance

Alexis

Re: how to call a javascript function with no arguments?

Alexis Argyris
Hi Seb,

FYI, from my experience it is possible for a complete novice to successfully install the environment and start playing around with the examples just by following through the documentation available.

To make things better you don't need to write any more material (at least not as a first priority). Just review the already existing text, hide all information about previous versions in an obscure link or something and leave visible prominently only information regarding the current version. This was my only difficulty.

I was not aware of rlite, I will most certainly have a look.

I will keep in mind the inline trick.

Still, my question remains: why "Path listen" (or "Path listen value") fail? It should be a trivial call. Calling other methods (functions with arguments) of the same library works with no problem.

Alexis

On 29/01/2015, at 05:29, Alexis Argyris <<a href="javascript:" target="_blank" gdf-obfuscated-mailto="82_UQl8j6kAJ" rel="nofollow" onmousedown="this.href='javascript:';return true;" onclick="this.href='javascript:';return true;">alexis....@...> wrote:

[...]

Cool!

We are about to publish a how to create, publish and use libraries made with Amber (for Amber) so people start creating an Amber ecosystem of handy and cool things around it.

For the team, PR here:

Also you might want to take a look at:

I’m upgrading it today

On 29/01/2015, at 05:29, Alexis Argyris <alexis....@gmail.com> wrote:

Hello,

I am very newbie at smalltalk, amber, helios, etc, so please bear with me.

I followed the directions at getting-started and everything went surprisingly well. So I got a bit ambitious and tried to load an external javascript library (pathjs). I did that, I can see its methods in the class browser and call all its functions that have one or more arguments. But I don't know how to call a javascript function with no arguments - presumably the simplest case! I tried this:

Path listen value

but I get a "type error: object is not a function" on "listen" and I'm stuck. Can you please help me out?

Thanks in advance

Alexis

Re: how to call a javascript function with no arguments?

Alexis Argyris
Ryan & Herby,

Thanks a lot for your efforts. I was not aware of what Ryan pointed out and it seems a good explanation of why I was getting that error. I switched to rlite as Seb suggested and it worked immediately (probably because I copy/pasted Seb's detailed example...)

Thanks a lot for your help

Alexis