how to determine server is inactive

Yanni Chiu
I would like to have a Seaside image automatically save&quit, if it is
inactive. Now, how should the inactive state be determined?

IIRC, in Seaside-2.8 you could scan the WASession instances and look at
a timestamp that each instance held. The WACache stuff in Seaside-3.0
looks very different. Should I scour the WACache usage, to figure out
whether the server is inactive (i.e. not handled any requests recently,
or alternatively, all sessions have expired)? Or, is there some other
simple way to know that the server is inactive.

Re: how to determine server is inactive

Randal L. Schwartz

Yanni> I would like to have a Seaside image automatically save&quit, if it is
Yanni> inactive. Now, how should the inactive state be determined?

I'd set a timer to trigger the save and quit, and on every request,
reset the timer to its full time again.  Not sure where to hook it in
for each request, but maybe with a bit of poking, you can find it.

See http://methodsandmessages.posterous.com/ for Smalltalk discussion

Re: how to determine server is inactive

Philippe Marschall
2010/10/28 Randal L. Schwartz <[hidden email]>:

> Yanni> I would like to have a Seaside image automatically save&quit, if it is
> Yanni> inactive. Now, how should the inactive state be determined?
>
> I'd set a timer to trigger the save and quit, and on every request,
> reset the timer to its full time again.  Not sure where to hook it in
> for each request, but maybe with a bit of poking, you can find it.

Wrapping a request filter around the default dispatcher should do the trick.

Cheers
Philippe

On 28/10/10 10:15 AM, Philippe Marschall wrote:

>> Yanni>  I would like to have a Seaside image automatically save&quit, if it is
>> Yanni>  inactive. Now, how should the inactive state be determined?
>>
>> I'd set a timer to trigger the save and quit, and on every request,
>> reset the timer to its full time again.  Not sure where to hook it in
>> for each request, but maybe with a bit of poking, you can find it.
>
> Wrapping a request filter around the default dispatcher should do the trick.
Thank you both, for the two parts of the solution. The code is attached,
released under MIT license. Please add to Seaside 3.0 Addons, if it's
generally useful.

Seaside-InactiveServerDetector-YanniChiu.2.mcz (6K) Download Attachment

save image from teminal

Alexandre BP
Help!
My application pharo crashed but I haven't closed it yet.
Is it possible to save the image with the terminal.
Please tell me there is a way to keep my current work...
thx
alex

Re: save image from teminal

Ryan Simmons-2
You can try command + full stop that should bring up the debugger.

If that fails you can force close your image restart it and then from the menu choose Tools -> Recover lost changes. You should be able to recover your work from there.

Re: save image from teminal

sebastianconcept@gmail.co
<base href="x-msg://36/">
I'd never ever save an image in a sort of chrashing state.

Is far more secure (for your last changes) to choot it (just hard kill the process of that VM) and then start it again and recover changes