how to install for oracle on windows 7

Tudor Girba-2
Hi,

I would like to give DBXTalk a try and install it for an Oracle DB on
Windows 7. I tried to look for documentation, but the page from:
http://dbxtalk.smallworks.com.ar/pier/Documentation/compiling-and-installing-opendbx-native-driver

seems to be private (I guess it's unintentional).

Could you point me to some directions on how to install the driver?

Cheers,
Doru

--
www.tudorgirba.com

"Every thing has its own flow"

Re: how to install for oracle on windows 7

Mariano Martinez Peck

On Mon, Feb 13, 2012 at 2:36 PM, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

I would like to give DBXTalk a try and install it for an Oracle DB on
Windows 7. I tried to look for documentation, but the page from:
http://dbxtalk.smallworks.com.ar/pier/Documentation/compiling-and-installing-opendbx-native-driver

seems to be private (I guess it's unintentional).

Now, it is is not private, just not yet done ;)
We are porting/cleaning/improving the doc from the previous SqueakDBX website.
Maybe these links help:

http://squeakdbx.smallworks.com.ar/Compiling%20and%20installing%20OpenDBX
http://squeakdbx.smallworks.com.ar/Oracle%20for%20Win

In summary, what you need is to install the oracle client library (C library) in 32 bits. Then install OpenDBX dlls which you can find in: http://www.linuxnetworks.de/doc/index.php/OpenDBX/Download#Windows_DLLs. And finally install ConfigurationOfOpenDBXDriver.
Then be sure to use latest Cog (some old Cog vms have problem with FFI).

Let us know

http://marianopeck.wordpress.com

Re: how to install for oracle on windows 7

Tudor Girba-2
Hi Mariano,

> Maybe these links help:
>
> http://squeakdbx.smallworks.com.ar/Compiling%20and%20installing%20OpenDBX
> http://squeakdbx.smallworks.com.ar/Oracle%20for%20Win
>
> In summary, what you need is to install the oracle client library (C
> library) in 32 bits.

I have done that: I installed the 11gR2 client.

> Then install OpenDBX dlls which you can find in:
> http://www.linuxnetworks.de/doc/index.php/OpenDBX/Download#Windows_DLLs.

Where do I put the DLLs?

> And
> finally install ConfigurationOfOpenDBXDriver.
> Then be sure to use latest Cog (some old Cog vms have problem with FFI).

I did that already as well.

Cheers,
Doru

"Every thing has its own flow"

Re: how to install for oracle on windows 7

Mariano Martinez Peck

On Mon, Feb 13, 2012 at 4:23 PM, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Mariano,

> Maybe these links help:
>
> http://squeakdbx.smallworks.com.ar/Compiling%20and%20installing%20OpenDBX
> http://squeakdbx.smallworks.com.ar/Oracle%20for%20Win
>
> In summary, what you need is to install the oracle client library (C
> library) in 32 bits.

I have done that: I installed the 11gR2 client.

Excellent.

> Then install OpenDBX dlls which you can find in:
> http://www.linuxnetworks.de/doc/index.php/OpenDBX/Download#Windows_DLLs.

Where do I put the DLLs?

Well...you are entering to the black magic of Windows dll handiling...a.k.a as DLL hell ;)
The DLL MUST be findable by the normal procedure of finding shared libraries of the OS so that it can be found by FFI. In Windows, there is an order in which dlls are searched (because you can even have the same dll in different places). First it starts in the same place where the "sender" (the guy who is searching the library, in this case cog vm) is. So in this case it means putting the dlls in the same directory where you have the CogVM executable. The windows also searches in $PATH and in c:/windows/system32 or something like that. I don't remember exactly the order, but my recommendation is to include them together with the VM.

> And
> finally install ConfigurationOfOpenDBXDriver.
> Then be sure to use latest Cog (some old Cog vms have problem with FFI).

I did that already as well.

Good.

Cheers,
Doru

> Let us know
>

>> Could you point me to some directions on how to install the driver?
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Doru
>>
>> --
>> www.tudorgirba.com
>>
>> "Every thing has its own flow"
>

> --
> Mariano
> http://marianopeck.wordpress.com

--
www.tudorgirba.com

"Every thing has its own flow"

--
Mariano
http://marianopeck.wordpress.com

Re: how to install for oracle on windows 7

Guillermo Polito

On Mon, Feb 13, 2012 at 4:23 PM, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Mariano,Where do I put the DLLs?

Well...you are entering to the black magic of Windows dll handiling...a.k.a as DLL hell ;)
The DLL MUST be findable by the normal procedure of finding shared libraries of the OS so that it can be found by FFI. In Windows, there is an order in which dlls are searched (because you can even have the same dll in different places). First it starts in the same place where the "sender" (the guy who is searching the library, in this case cog vm) is. So in this case it means putting the dlls in the same directory where you have the CogVM executable. The windows also searches in $PATH and in c:/windows/system32 or something like that. I don't remember exactly the order, but my recommendation is to include them together with the VM.

Hmm, windows documents the order of library loading in here:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/ms682586%28v=vs.85%29.aspx

(see section Standard Search Order for Desktop Application)

What I don't know is if FFI is using the standard loading or not, or if it is using any special flag... :/

Guille

Re: how to install for oracle on windows 7

Tudor Girba-2
Excellent. I got the connection going. It took a while. I will follow
with some more remarks.

For archive purposes, I did the following:

1. Use Pharo 1.3 and CogWin (from Eliot) version 2522

2. Load DBXTalk
Gofer it
    squeaksource: 'MetacelloRepository';
    package: 'ConfigurationOfOpenDBXDriver';
    load.

(((Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfOpenDBXDriver)
    perform: #project)
        perform: #version: with: #stable)
            load

3. Download OpenDBX:
http://linuxnetworks.de/opendbx/download/opendbx-1.4.5_win32.zip

4. place the contents of the archive in the folder where the VM was
\Cogwin
  Croquet.exe
  libopendbx-1.dll
  libopendbxplus-1.dll
  \opendbx
    ...*.dll

4. Install the Oracle client
(I had it already, but you should be able to install if from
http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/database/enterprise-edition/downloads/112010-win32soft-098987.html)

Cheers,
Doru

--
www.tudorgirba.com

"Every thing has its own flow"

Re: how to install for oracle on windows 7

Mariano Martinez Peck
Thanks Doru. Good knows then :)
We will add this to the website.

--