how to print to a generic printer

Theo Pronk
Hi,

I have an application that need to send strings and commands to a zebra
barcode printer. The language is specific to the printer and usually I
would just send data to lpt1 or a generic printer. This is a bit like
sending/redirecting dos output (  eg dir *.* > lpt1  )

Anyone know how to do this in smalltalk?

Thanks
Theo

Re: how to print to a generic printer

James Foster-3
Hi Theo,

I'm using Dolphin to print to a Zebra barcode printer as well. It turns out
that what you want to do is really trivial:

    (File open: 'LPT1') write: aString; close.

How's that?

James Foster
Fargo, North Dakota, USA

"theo" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
news:bvunt8$1165bh$[hidden email]...

> Hi,
>
> I have an application that need to send strings and commands to a zebra
> barcode printer. The language is specific to the printer and usually I
> would just send data to lpt1 or a generic printer. This is a bit like
> sending/redirecting dos output (  eg dir *.* > lpt1  )
>
> Anyone know how to do this in smalltalk?
>
> Thanks
> Theo

[OT] Barcode printing, was Re: how to print to a generic printer

Stefan Schmiedl
I have it in my guts that sometime next week one of my clients
is going to ask me how to print barcode labels now that he has
got himself a shiny new barcode reader.

Of course, this has to happen on a "normal" printer (deskjet iirc).

I'd be grateful for any recommendations.

thanks,
s.

Re: [OT] Barcode printing, was Re: how to print to a generic printer

James Foster-3
One approach is to Google for 'barcode truetype font', then just use your
new font like any other font:
    aPen setFont: myBarcodeFont.

James Foster
Fargo, North Dakota, USA

"Stefan Schmiedl" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
news:c00mfv$114t5j$[hidden email]...

> I have it in my guts that sometime next week one of my clients
> is going to ask me how to print barcode labels now that he has
> got himself a shiny new barcode reader.
>
> Of course, this has to happen on a "normal" printer (deskjet iirc).
>
> I'd be grateful for any recommendations.
>
> thanks,
> s.

Re: [OT] Barcode printing, was Re: how to print to a generic printer

Udo Schneider
You may want to tree free3of9. It's available at
http://www.barcodesinc.com/free-barcode-font/ and works fine for me.

CU,

Udo

On Fri, 06 Feb 2004 17:11:47 -0600, James Foster wrote:

> One approach is to Google for 'barcode truetype font', then just use your
> new font like any other font:
>     aPen setFont: myBarcodeFont.
>
> James Foster
> Fargo, North Dakota, USA
>

> "Stefan Schmiedl" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
> news:c00mfv$114t5j$[hidden email]...
>> I have it in my guts that sometime next week one of my clients
>> is going to ask me how to print barcode labels now that he has
>> got himself a shiny new barcode reader.
>>
>> Of course, this has to happen on a "normal" printer (deskjet iirc).
>>
>> I'd be grateful for any recommendations.
>>
>> thanks,
>> s.

Re: [OT] Barcode printing, was Re: how to print to a generic printer

Dan Antion
I have been working on a library for VAST that produces all 2d barcode
symbologies.  Rather than using a font, the library generates a DIB that
you can print, display, save, etc.  Also, the code takes care of
calculating the check digit(s).  The VAST version is working well, but
needs some refactoring and some convenience methods.  My plan is to port
this to Dolphin.

I hope to have both libraries completed before Smalltalk Solutions.  I
realize that's not next week, but it may still be of interest to you.  I
would be interested in knowing what specific requirements are out there
for printing and/or displaying barcodes.

Thanks
Dan Antion