how to remove World?

EstebanLM
Hi,
I want to prevent squeak to load the world morph... it is for a process
running on background, anyway, and I want to prevent the time taken to
draw the main window... so, I tried some simple things like:

Smalltalk at: World put: nil.

but that doesn't work... so, any idea?

Thanks,
Esteban

Re: how to remove World?

EstebanLM
s/squeak/pharo (sorry)

On 2010-02-22 13:02:36 -0300, Esteban Lorenzano
<[hidden email]> said:

> Hi,
> I want to prevent squeak to load the world morph... it is for a process
> running on background, anyway, and I want to prevent the time taken to
> draw the main window... so, I tried some simple things like:
>
> Smalltalk at: World put: nil.
>
> but that doesn't work... so, any idea?
>
> Thanks,
> Esteban

Re: how to remove World?

Lukas Renggli
> but that doesn't work... so, any idea?

     Project uiProcess suspend

And the inverse is

      Project uiProcess resume

For obvious reasons you won't be able to evaluate the resume from the
frozen GUI, so you need to make some external trigger to reactivate
the UI process (see WAScreenshot or WAVNCController in Seaside).

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: how to remove World?

Stefan Marr-4

On 22 Feb 2010, at 17:16, Lukas Renggli wrote:

>> but that doesn't work... so, any idea?
>
>     Project uiProcess suspend
>
> And the inverse is
>
>      Project uiProcess resume

Is that also necessary for a headless Pharo/Squeak?

http://code.google.com/p/pharo/wiki/CommandLine

Best regards
Stefan

Re: how to remove World?

Lukas Renggli
> Is that also necessary for a headless Pharo/Squeak?

No, it is not necessary. It saves a few CPU cycles because the event
polling stops, the #step methods on the visible morphs are not called
anymore, and the display is not updated any longer.

Programmatically you can still do everything (headless or
non-headless). For example you can open morphs and move them around,
you just won't see a change on the screen. Code that have some
interaction with the GUI thread (like the debugger) might deadlock (or
hang) the system.

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: how to remove World?

EstebanLM
I tried by starting pharo with a script:

Project uiProcess suspend.
Smalltalk
        snapshot: true
        andQuit: true.

...and the processing stop working after the #suspend (no
snapshot:andQuit: happens :( )

On 2010-02-22 13:43:05 -0300, Lukas Renggli
<[hidden email]> said:

>> Is that also necessary for a headless Pharo/Squeak?
>
> No, it is not necessary. It saves a few CPU cycles because the event
> polling stops, the #step methods on the visible morphs are not called
> anymore, and the display is not updated any longer.
>
> Programmatically you can still do everything (headless or
> non-headless). For example you can open morphs and move them around,
> you just won't see a change on the screen. Code that have some
> interaction with the GUI thread (like the debugger) might deadlock (or
> hang) the system.
>
> Lukas

Re: how to remove World?

Lukas Renggli
On 22 February 2010 20:21, Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I tried by starting pharo with a script:
>
> Project uiProcess suspend.
> Smalltalk
>        snapshot: true
>        andQuit: true.
>
> ...and the processing stop working after the #suspend (no
> snapshot:andQuit: happens :( )

I guess that means that the startup scripts are evaluated in the
UI-Proces, so you suspend yourself ;-)

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: how to remove World?

this is a really good experiment
please continue
and let us know the results.
Stef
On Feb 22, 2010, at 8:21 PM, Esteban Lorenzano wrote:

> I tried by starting pharo with a script:
>
> Project uiProcess suspend.
> Smalltalk
> snapshot: true
> andQuit: true.
>
> ...and the processing stop working after the #suspend (no
> snapshot:andQuit: happens :( )
>
> On 2010-02-22 13:43:05 -0300, Lukas Renggli
> <[hidden email]> said:
>
>>> Is that also necessary for a headless Pharo/Squeak?
>>
>> No, it is not necessary. It saves a few CPU cycles because the event
>> polling stops, the #step methods on the visible morphs are not called
>> anymore, and the display is not updated any longer.
>>
>> Programmatically you can still do everything (headless or
>> non-headless). For example you can open morphs and move them around,
>> you just won't see a change on the screen. Code that have some
>> interaction with the GUI thread (like the debugger) might deadlock (or
>> hang) the system.
>>
>> Lukas

Re: how to remove World?

Mariano Martinez Peck
I think that maybe it is a good idea to use the DummyUIManager and the MorphicUIManager  from Pavel MinimalImage.

We can put those classes in a repository called PharoMinimal or something similar. Then, you will be able to load both classes, run your image headless and before, evaluate something to set those classes as the current.

Just an idea...

On Tue, Feb 23, 2010 at 10:18 AM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
this is a really good experiment
please continue
and let us know the results.
Stef
On Feb 22, 2010, at 8:21 PM, Esteban Lorenzano wrote:

> I tried by starting pharo with a script:
>
> Project uiProcess suspend.
> Smalltalk
>       snapshot: true
>       andQuit: true.
>
> ...and the processing stop working after the #suspend (no
> snapshot:andQuit: happens :( )
>
> On 2010-02-22 13:43:05 -0300, Lukas Renggli
> <[hidden email]> said:
>
>>> Is that also necessary for a headless Pharo/Squeak?
>>
>> No, it is not necessary. It saves a few CPU cycles because the event
>> polling stops, the #step methods on the visible morphs are not called
>> anymore, and the display is not updated any longer.
>>
>> Programmatically you can still do everything (headless or
>> non-headless). For example you can open morphs and move them around,
>> you just won't see a change on the screen. Code that have some
>> interaction with the GUI thread (like the debugger) might deadlock (or
>> hang) the system.
>>
>> Lukas

Re: how to remove World?

Stéphane Ducasse
Yes this is a good idea.
May be the DummyUIManager should be by default in the system.
Can you open a ticket?

Stef

> I think that maybe it is a good idea to use the DummyUIManager and the MorphicUIManager  from Pavel MinimalImage.
>
> We can put those classes in a repository called PharoMinimal or something similar. Then, you will be able to load both classes, run your image headless and before, evaluate something to set those classes as the current.
>
> Just an idea...
>
> On Tue, Feb 23, 2010 at 10:18 AM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
> this is a really good experiment
> please continue
> and let us know the results.
> Stef
> On Feb 22, 2010, at 8:21 PM, Esteban Lorenzano wrote:
>
> > I tried by starting pharo with a script:
> >
> > Project uiProcess suspend.
> > Smalltalk
> >       snapshot: true
> >       andQuit: true.
> >
> > ...and the processing stop working after the #suspend (no
> > snapshot:andQuit: happens :( )

> >> No, it is not necessary. It saves a few CPU cycles because the event
> >> polling stops, the #step methods on the visible morphs are not called
> >> anymore, and the display is not updated any longer.
> >>
> >> Programmatically you can still do everything (headless or
> >> non-headless). For example you can open morphs and move them around,
> >> you just won't see a change on the screen. Code that have some
> >> interaction with the GUI thread (like the debugger) might deadlock (or
> >> hang) the system.
> >>
> >> Lukas

Re: how to remove World?

Mariano Martinez Peck

On Tue, Feb 23, 2010 at 6:37 PM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
Yes this is a good idea.
May be the DummyUIManager should be by default in the system.
Can you open a ticket?

Stef

> I think that maybe it is a good idea to use the DummyUIManager and the MorphicUIManager  from Pavel MinimalImage.
>
> We can put those classes in a repository called PharoMinimal or something similar. Then, you will be able to load both classes, run your image headless and before, evaluate something to set those classes as the current.
>
> Just an idea...
>
> On Tue, Feb 23, 2010 at 10:18 AM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
> this is a really good experiment
> please continue
> and let us know the results.
> Stef
> On Feb 22, 2010, at 8:21 PM, Esteban Lorenzano wrote:
>
> > I tried by starting pharo with a script:
> >
> > Project uiProcess suspend.
> > Smalltalk
> >       snapshot: true
> >       andQuit: true.
> >
> > ...and the processing stop working after the #suspend (no
> > snapshot:andQuit: happens :( )

> >> No, it is not necessary. It saves a few CPU cycles because the event
> >> polling stops, the #step methods on the visible morphs are not called
> >> anymore, and the display is not updated any longer.
> >>
> >> Programmatically you can still do everything (headless or
> >> non-headless). For example you can open morphs and move them around,
> >> you just won't see a change on the screen. Code that have some
> >> interaction with the GUI thread (like the debugger) might deadlock (or
> >> hang) the system.
> >>
> >> Lukas

Re: how to remove World?

EstebanLM
Ok, I tried passing a .st by command line:

UIManager default: DummyUIManager new.

Project uiProcess terminate.

SmalltalkImage current snapshot: true andQuit: true.

but I fail miserably :'(
(it stops do anything after "Project uiProcess terminate"... and the
same using "Project uiProcess suspend")

Any idea of how can I proceed from here? (I confess: I'm totally lost here)

Cheers,
Esteban

On 2010-02-23 06:44:18 -0300, Mariano Martinez Peck
<[hidden email]> said:

> [...]
> headless and before, evaluate something to set those classes as the current=
> .
>
> Just an idea...
>
> On Tue, Feb 23, 2010 at 10:18 AM, St=E9phane Ducasse <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> this is a really good experiment
>> please continue
>> and let us know the results.
>> Stef
>> On Feb 22, 2010, at 8:21 PM, Esteban Lorenzano wrote:
>>
>>> I tried by starting pharo with a script:
>>>
>>> Project uiProcess suspend.
>>> Smalltalk
>>> snapshot: true
>>> andQuit: true.
>>>
>>> ...and the processing stop working after the #suspend (no
>>> snapshot:andQuit: happens :( )

> I think that maybe it is a good idea to use the DummyUIManager and the Morp=
> hicUIManager=A0 from Pavel MinimalImage.<br><br>We can put those classes in=
>  a repository called PharoMinimal or something similar. Then, you will be a=
> ble to load both classes, run your image headless and before, evaluate some=
> thing to set those classes as the current.<br>
> at 10:18 AM, St=E9phane Ducasse <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:ste=
> [hidden email]">[hidden email]</a>&gt;</span>
> wrote:<br>=
> 204, 204); margin: 0pt 0pt 0pt 0.8ex; padding-left: 1ex;">
> this is a really good experiment<br>
> please continue<br>
> and let us know the results.<br>
> Stef<br>
> nzano wrote:<br>
> &gt; I tried by starting pharo with a script:<br>
> &gt;<br>
> &gt; Project uiProcess suspend.<br>
> &gt; Smalltalk<br>
> &gt; =A0 =A0 =A0 snapshot: true<br>
> &gt; =A0 =A0 =A0 andQuit: true.<br>
> &gt;<br>
> &gt; ...and the processing stop working after the #suspend (no<br>
> &gt; snapshot:andQuit: happens :( )<br>
> &gt;<br>
> &gt; On 2010-02-22 13:43:05 -0300, Lukas Renggli<br>
> &gt; &lt;<a
> href=3D"mailto:[hidden email]">[hidden email]</a>&gt;
> sai=
> d:<br>
> &gt;<br>
> &gt;&gt;&gt; Is that also necessary for a headless Pharo/Squeak?<br>
> &gt;&gt;<br>
> &gt;&gt; No, it is not necessary. It saves a few CPU cycles because the eve=
> nt<br>
> &gt;&gt; polling stops, the #step methods on the visible morphs are not cal=
> led<br>
> &gt;&gt; anymore, and the display is not updated any longer.<br>
> &gt;&gt;<br>
> &gt;&gt; Programmatically you can still do everything (headless or<br>
> &gt;&gt; non-headless). For example you can open morphs and move them aroun=
> d,<br>
> &gt;&gt; you just won&#39;t see a change on the screen. Code that have some=
> &gt;&gt; interaction with the GUI thread (like the debugger) might deadlock=
ists.gforge.inria.fr</a><br>
&gt;

> -project" target=3D"_blank">http://lists.gforge.inria.fr/cgi-bin/mailman/li=
> stinfo/pharo-project</a><br>
> o/pharo-project</a><br>

Re: how to remove World?

Pavel Krivanek-3
Hi,

you do not need only the DummyUIManager but some modifications to
MorphicUIManager from Pharo-Kernel.

You should start with the scripts:
DummyUIManager.st
MorphicUIManager.st
patch.st
unload.st - here the UIProcess is stopped

There's updated version of Pharo-Kernel here:
http://gforge.inria.fr/frs/download.php/26462/PharoKernel-1.1-11229-UNSTABLE.zip
However it's still very dirty and a lot of things will change soon.

Cheers,
-- Pavel

On Thu, Feb 25, 2010 at 1:49 PM, Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>> d:<br>
>> &gt;<br>
>> &gt;&gt;&gt; Is that also necessary for a headless Pharo/Squeak?<br>
>> &gt;&gt;<br>
>> &gt;&gt; No, it is not necessary. It saves a few CPU cycles because the eve=
>> nt<br>
>> &gt;&gt; polling stops, the #step methods on the visible morphs are not cal=
>> led<br>
>> &gt;&gt; anymore, and the display is not updated any longer.<br>
>> &gt;&gt;<br>
>> &gt;&gt; Programmatically you can still do everything (headless or<br>
>> &gt;&gt; non-headless). For example you can open morphs and move them aroun=
>> d,<br>
>> &gt;&gt; you just won&#39;t see a change on the screen. Code that have some=
>> &gt;&gt; interaction with the GUI thread (like the debugger) might deadlock=

Re: how to remove World?

Henrik Sperre Johansen
Den 25.02.2010 13:49, skrev Esteban Lorenzano:

> Ok, I tried passing a .st by command line:
>
> UIManager default: DummyUIManager new.
>
> Project uiProcess terminate.
>
> SmalltalkImage current snapshot: true andQuit: true.
>
> but I fail miserably :'(
> (it stops do anything after "Project uiProcess terminate"... and the
> same using "Project uiProcess suspend")
>
> Any idea of how can I proceed from here? (I confess: I'm totally lost here)
>
> Cheers,
> Esteban

As Lukas already said, that's not very strange if the script is being
executed by the uiProcess. (which it is if you're using the ProjectLauncher)

You can't plan to kill yourself, then afterwards send a goodbye-letter
to your friends, you need to get someone else to perform the actions if
you want to be sure it happens. (ie. fork off the execution)

Cheers,
Henry