html brush chaining messages

Jeff Gray
Hi all. Proud day - my first post :-)

In my renderContentOn: method I have the following line:

html tableData with: (account balance printShowingDecimalPlaces: 2); align: 'right'

I get the data out ok but it doesn't add the align attribute to the
 tag.
If I switch around the order of the messages then the alignment works:

html tableData align: 'right'; with: (account balance printShowingDecimalPlaces: 2)

What's going on there?

Re: html brush chaining messages

tfleig
I had a similar problem. The secret is that the with: parameter must be the last in the chain. Once the with: parameter is found, no further methods are processed.

This is documented in some book or article -- I don't remember where I saw it.

TF

On Tue, Oct 26, 2010 at 7:05 PM, Jeff Gray <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi all. Proud day - my first post :-)

In my renderContentOn: method I have the following line:

html tableData with: (account balance printShowingDecimalPlaces: 2); align:
'right'

I get the data out ok but it doesn't add the align attribute to the <td>
tag.
If I switch around the order of the messages then the alignment works:

html tableData align: 'right'; with: (account balance
printShowingDecimalPlaces: 2)

What's going on there?

Re: html brush chaining messages

Lukas Renggli
You can find it here

    http://book.seaside.st/book/fundamentals/rendering-components/brush-structure

but I am sure that it is mentioned in any other introductory Seaside text too.

Lukas

On 27 October 2010 04:32, Tony Fleig <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I had a similar problem. The secret is that the with: parameter must be the
> last in the chain. Once the with: parameter is found, no further methods are
> processed.
> This is documented in some book or article -- I don't remember where I saw
> it.
> TF
>
> On Tue, Oct 26, 2010 at 7:05 PM, Jeff Gray <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi all. Proud day - my first post :-)
>>
>> In my renderContentOn: method I have the following line:
>>
>> html tableData with: (account balance printShowingDecimalPlaces: 2);
>> align:
>> 'right'
>>
>> I get the data out ok but it doesn't add the align attribute to the <td>
>> tag.
>> If I switch around the order of the messages then the alignment works:
>>
>> html tableData align: 'right'; with: (account balance
>> printShowingDecimalPlaces: 2)
>>
>> What's going on there?
>> --

Lukas Renggli
www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: html brush chaining messages

Julian Fitzell-2
The point being that once you begin rendering the *content* of a tag,
you can logically no longer modify the attributes of the tag itself.
Clearly in a non-streaming case, you could still make this work, but
since we allow you to toggle between streaming and non-streaming just
by changing the Response type, everything works on the basis that the
tag has been written once you start setting its contents.

Julian