http://ss3.gemstone.com/ is EXTREMELY slow?

12

http://ss3.gemstone.com/ is EXTREMELY slow?

Mariano Martinez Peck
Hi guys. I cannot work today with SS3 because it gives me time outs all the time. The site is not down, but terrible slow.
I am the only one seeing this?

thanks

--
Mariano
http://marianopeck.wordpress.com

Re: http://ss3.gemstone.com/ is EXTREMELY slow?

Sven Van Caekenberghe

On 03 Apr 2012, at 11:34, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

> Hi guys. I cannot work today with SS3 because it gives me time outs all the time.
> The site is not down, but terrible slow.
> I am the only one seeing this?

Yes, sometimes it feels a bit slow for certain operations.

But in doing my own MC storage ( http://mc.stfx.eu ) I came to the conclusion that the speed of the storage, although important, is not the only factor contributing to MC feeling slow for your daily work.

MC does many operations that are often not really necessary (always checking in all related repos, updating indexes; these make repo X feel slow even though it is really repo Y).

We have to support the work started by Camillo (speeding up local cache and much more, questioning every long held assumption).

Sven

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment

On Tue, Apr 3, 2012 at 12:00 PM, Sven Van Caekenberghe <[hidden email]> wrote:

On 03 Apr 2012, at 11:34, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

> Hi guys. I cannot work today with SS3 because it gives me time outs all the time.
> The site is not down, but terrible slow.
> I am the only one seeing this?

Yes, sometimes it feels a bit slow for certain operations.

Yes, but this is different. It is now just slow, it is slow enough to get a timeout exception for the most basic stuff. In other words, you cannot work.

But in doing my own MC storage ( http://mc.stfx.eu ) I came to the conclusion that the speed of the storage, although important, is not the only factor contributing to MC feeling slow for your daily work.

+9999

MC does many operations that are often not really necessary (always checking in all related repos, updating indexes; these make repo X feel slow even though it is really repo Y).

We have to support the work started by Camillo (speeding up local cache and much more, questioning every long held assumption).

+9999

Sven

--
Mariano
http://marianopeck.wordpress.com

Re: http://ss3.gemstone.com/ is EXTREMELY slow?

Stefan Marr-3

On 03 Apr 2012, at 12:40, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

> Yes, but this is different. It is now just slow, it is slow enough to get a timeout exception for the most basic stuff. In other words, you cannot work.

Perhaps it is worthwhile to adapt another workflow?

My personal projects reside all in /home/smarr/.monticello and I use that as my main repo.

I commit to that one, and only if I really want to do a 'push' like with git, I copy stuff to public repos.

Works very smooth, even on the road.

Best regards
Stefan

--
Stefan Marr
Software Languages Lab

Re: http://ss3.gemstone.com/ is EXTREMELY slow?

Tobias Pape

Am 2012-04-03 um 11:34 schrieb Mariano Martinez Peck:

> Hi guys. I cannot work today with SS3 because it gives me time outs all the time. The site is not down, but terrible slow.
> I am the only one seeing this?

it's fast from Berlin, tho…

Best
        -tobias

Am 2012-04-03 um 13:03 schrieb Stefan Marr:

> On 03 Apr 2012, at 12:40, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:
>
>> Yes, but this is different. It is now just slow, it is slow enough to get a timeout exception for the most basic stuff. In other words, you cannot work.
>
> Perhaps it is worthwhile to adapt another workflow?
>
> My personal projects reside all in /home/smarr/.monticello and I use that as my main repo.
>
> I commit to that one, and only if I really want to do a 'push' like with git, I copy stuff to public repos.
>
> Works very smooth, even on the road.

If only the tools supported that better ;)
The first thing I do with a new image is making
a sym-link for the package-cache to my local
all-images-share-this package-cache.
  From there on, the workflow is not unlike a
hg or git one, with the notable exception that
I have to copy (read: push) all local versions
manually to my remote repo.

Best
        -Tobias

Re: http://ss3.gemstone.com/ is EXTREMELY slow?

Stéphane Ducasse

On Apr 3, 2012, at 3:15 PM, Tobias Pape wrote:

> Am 2012-04-03 um 13:03 schrieb Stefan Marr:
>

>> On 03 Apr 2012, at 12:40, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:
>>
>>> Yes, but this is different. It is now just slow, it is slow enough to get a timeout exception for the most basic stuff. In other words, you cannot work.
>>
>> Perhaps it is worthwhile to adapt another workflow?
>>
>> My personal projects reside all in /home/smarr/.monticello and I use that as my main repo.
>>
>> I commit to that one, and only if I really want to do a 'push' like with git, I copy stuff to public repos.
>>
>> Works very smooth, even on the road.
>
> If only the tools supported that better ;)

but with Gofer you can sync your local….

STef

Am 2012-04-03 um 16:33 schrieb Stéphane Ducasse:

> On Apr 3, 2012, at 3:15 PM, Tobias Pape wrote:

>>> Perhaps it is worthwhile to adapt another workflow?
>>>
>>> My personal projects reside all in /home/smarr/.monticello and I use that as my main repo.
>>>
>>> I commit to that one, and only if I really want to do a 'push' like with git, I copy stuff to public repos.
>>>
>>> Works very smooth, even on the road.
>>
>> If only the tools supported that better ;)
>
> but with Gofer you can sync your local….

sure. but actually, i only want to 'push' the
missing versions and, even more important, I want
a non-DoIt way (ie, a button) for it.
You know, when I first saw that it is possible to
'copy' a version to different repos from the ui, i was thrilled…
but it takes too much time to copy 10 versions to 3 repos.
Gofer is better but not yet good in this regard ;)

best
        -tobias

Re: http://ss3.gemstone.com/ is EXTREMELY slow?

Dale Henrichs
Mariano,

We are on shared hardware in the VMware data center and I've seen occasional high i/o delays that are not related to GemStone activity...we're looking into this...

Dale

| Hi guys. I cannot work today with SS3 because it gives me time outs
| all the time. The site is not down, but terrible slow.
| I am the only one seeing this?
|
| thanks
|
| --
| Mariano
| http://marianopeck.wordpress.com

SS3 downtime - today 2pm PDT

Dale Henrichs
We are in the process of tracking down the root cause of inordinate i/o delays on http://ss3.gemstone.com[1].

In the meantime, we're going to tweak some of the system settings and will cycle the stone.

The plan is to cycle the stone this afternoon at 2PM PDT and the system should be down for just a few minutes ... if that will cause any inconvenience let me know and I'll reschedule ...

Dale

[1] http://forum.world.st/http-ss3-gemstone-com-is-EXTREMELY-slow-td4528259.html

http://marianopeck.wordpress.com

Re: [squeak-dev] SS3 downtime - today 2pm PDT

Dale Henrichs
Mariano,

This downtime won't get us out of the woods ... there's something funky going on with i/o, but it should help a bit ...

Dale

On 03 Apr 2012, at 15:12, Tobias Pape wrote:

> Am 2012-04-03 um 11:34 schrieb Mariano Martinez Peck:
>
>> Hi guys. I cannot work today with SS3 because it gives me time outs all the time. The site is not down, but terrible slow.
>> I am the only one seeing this?
>
> it's fast from Berlin, tho…

While we are complaining: did anyone ever look at the issues I posted into the issue tracker?
 And, did anyone ever use the project search and got a result back?
 Every time I try to use the search, I do not seem to get a proper HTTP response and the browser is just indicating that it is loading.

Best regards
Stefan

Am 2012-04-03 um 19:52 schrieb Stefan Marr:

> On 03 Apr 2012, at 15:12, Tobias Pape wrote:
>

>> Am 2012-04-03 um 11:34 schrieb Mariano Martinez Peck:
>>
>>> Hi guys. I cannot work today with SS3 because it gives me time outs all the time. The site is not down, but terrible slow.
>>> I am the only one seeing this?
>>
>> it's fast from Berlin, tho…
>
> While we are complaining: did anyone ever look at the issues I posted into the issue tracker?

Yes I have. Some of them are solved and being staged onto ss3, which
hopefully will happen soon ;) I'll take care of the rest of the issues
once my currently primary issue is resolved …

> And, did anyone ever use the project search and got a result back?
> Every time I try to use the search, I do not seem to get a proper HTTP response and the browser is just indicating that it is loading.

Hmm, doesn't happen at
http://www.hpi.uni-potsdam.de/hirschfeld/squeaksource
so this should be resolved and being staged, too :)

best
        -Tobias

Re: http://ss3.gemstone.com/ is EXTREMELY slow?

Dale Henrichs
We pushed SS3 out last summer as an Alpha because SS3 looked like it could be a better alternative to SqueakSource, so it was opened for general use "known bugs and all"... there are a number of "known bugs" that have been fixed and they are in the queue waiting on a number of open bugs/tasks that still need to be fixed before we can upgrade SS3[1][2] ...

The particular issue you have is most likely related to the current i/o problems, which we are working on addressing ...

Dale

[1] http://code.google.com/p/squeaksource3/issues/list?can=2&q=Milestone%3D3.0-rc2+type%3Dtask&colspec=ID+Type+Status+Priority+Version+Milestone+Owner+Verified+Summary&cells=tiles
[2] http://code.google.com/p/squeaksource3/issues/list?can=2&q=Milestone%3D3.0-rc2+type%3Ddefect&colspec=ID+Type+Status+Priority+Version+Milestone+Owner+Verified+Summary&cells=tiles
| On 03 Apr 2012, at 15:12, Tobias Pape wrote:
|

| > Am 2012-04-03 um 11:34 schrieb Mariano Martinez Peck:
| >
| >> Hi guys. I cannot work today with SS3 because it gives me time
| >> outs all the time. The site is not down, but terrible slow.
| >> I am the only one seeing this?
| >
| > it's fast from Berlin, tho…
|
| While we are complaining: did anyone ever look at the issues I posted
| into the issue tracker?
|  And, did anyone ever use the project search and got a result back?
|  Every time I try to use the search, I do not seem to get a proper
|  HTTP response and the browser is just indicating that it is
|

| Best regards
| Stefan
|
| --
| Stefan Marr
| Software Languages Lab
| Vrije Universiteit Brussel
| Pleinlaan 2 / B-1050 Brussels / Belgium
| http://soft.vub.ac.be/~smarr
| Phone: +32 2 629 2974
| Fax:   +32 2 629 3525

Re: http://ss3.gemstone.com/ is EXTREMELY slow?

philippeback
And the version pushed will be +1 each time isn't it?

How do I put the same version to two places?

2012/4/3 Tobias Pape <[hidden email]>

Am 2012-04-03 um 16:33 schrieb Stéphane Ducasse:

> On Apr 3, 2012, at 3:15 PM, Tobias Pape wrote:

>>> Perhaps it is worthwhile to adapt another workflow?
>>>
>>> My personal projects reside all in /home/smarr/.monticello and I use that as my main repo.
>>>
>>> I commit to that one, and only if I really want to do a 'push' like with git, I copy stuff to public repos.
>>>
>>> Works very smooth, even on the road.
>>
>> If only the tools supported that better ;)
>
> but with Gofer you can sync your local….

sure. but actually, i only want to 'push' the
missing versions and, even more important, I want
a non-DoIt way (ie, a button) for it.
You know, when I first saw that it is possible to
'copy' a version to different repos from the ui, i was thrilled…
but it takes too much time to copy 10 versions to 3 repos.
Gofer is better but not yet good in this regard ;)

best
       -tobias

--
Philippe Back
"Helping you hit the top 3 outcomes you really want to achieve"

Mob: +32(0) 478 650 140 | Fax: +32 (0) 70 408 027 Mail: [hidden email] | Web: http://philippeback.eu | Blog:

High Octane SPRL
rue cour Boisacq 101
1301 Bierges

Re: http://ss3.gemstone.com/ is EXTREMELY slow?

Stefan Marr-3
Hi Dale:

On 03 Apr 2012, at 20:05, Dale Henrichs wrote:

> [1] http://code.google.com/p/squeaksource3/issues/list?can=2&q=Milestone%3D3.0-rc2+type%3Dtask&colspec=ID+Type+Status+Priority+Version+Milestone+Owner+Verified+Summary&cells=tiles
> [2] http://code.google.com/p/squeaksource3/issues/list?can=2&q=Milestone%3D3.0-rc2+type%3Ddefect&colspec=ID+Type+Status+Priority+Version+Milestone+Owner+Verified+Summary&cells=tiles

Think I made the mistake assuming that you guys eat your own dog food ;)

http://ss3.gemstone.com/ss/ss3.html/Issues

Perhaps that should be disabled and include a note about the issue tracker on the overview page?

Thanks
Stefan

--
Stefan Marr
Software Languages Lab
Vrije Universiteit Brussel
Pleinlaan 2 / B-1050 Brussels / Belgium
http://soft.vub.ac.be/~smarr
Phone: +32 2 629 2974
Fax:   +32 2 629 3525

Re: http://ss3.gemstone.com/ is EXTREMELY slow?

Dale Henrichs
Good point:) The Issues list in SS3 is not quite as full-featured as the one on Google:)

Good point about disabling it though ... There is a note about the issue tracker on the SS3 Home page, but not on the SS3 project page ... good point.

Am 2012-04-03 um 20:24 schrieb [hidden email]:

> And the version pushed will be +1 each time isn't it?
>
> How do I put the same version to two places?

when you commit a version, you get a window with several options, eg,
browse … diff… etc. The last is ‘copy’
click on it and you can copy the very same version to
different repos. This does not work with the ‘save’ button in
the working copy overview.
‘save’ -> commit
‘copy’ -> push.

best
        -tobias

Re: http://ss3.gemstone.com/ is EXTREMELY slow?

Guillermo Polito

On Tue, Apr 3, 2012 at 10:49 PM, Tobias Pape <[hidden email]> wrote:

Am 2012-04-03 um 20:24 schrieb [hidden email]:

> And the version pushed will be +1 each time isn't it?
>
> How do I put the same version to two places?

when you commit a version, you get a window with several options, eg,
browse … diff… etc. The last is ‘copy’
click on it and you can copy the very same version to
different repos. This does not work with the ‘save’ button in
the working copy overview.
‘save’ -> commit
‘copy’ -> push.

Hey, I'd vote for changing the buttons' labels!

best
       -tobias

12