http://www.salesforce.com/

stephane ducasse
Can be interesting for seasiders. I think that we will see other of
these ideas popping up in the future.

A web site to host/develop/compose web applications

http://www.salesforce.com/platform/

Re: http://www.salesforce.com/

Jason Rogers-4
Our company has been using Salesforce.com since 2004.  It's a great platform.

One thing I have always wanted since then was to be able to connect to
Salesforce from a Squeak image.  It requires SSL.

On Jan 31, 2008 3:35 PM, stephane ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Can be interesting for seasiders. I think that we will see other of
> these ideas popping up in the future.
>
> A web site to host/develop/compose web applications
>
> http://www.salesforce.com/platform/
>
> Stef

Jason Rogers

"I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live;
yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life
which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of
the Son of God, who loved me, and gave
himself for me."
    Galatians 2:20

Re: http://www.salesforce.com/

Sophie424
"Jason Rogers" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
> One thing I have always wanted since then was to be able to connect to
> Salesforce from a Squeak image.

Using Squeak as a client for some Salesforce apps? Or do you want to
implement your own Squeak SalesForce app that your users would access
through browsers (if that even possible)? Or something else?

- Sophie
(Not a SalesForce expert, but interested)

Re: Re: http://www.salesforce.com/

Jason Rogers-4
Using Squeak as a client for some Salesforce apps.  Salesforce hosts
our data, users interact with it via many interfaces, but we still run
servers to automatically update data in Salesforce (to keep it sane)
and to integrate our internal services with Salesforce.  Currently
those servers are written in (blegh*!*!@#&*!) Java.

Having a Squeak server to do all of this would be really nice!!

On Jan 31, 2008 9:00 PM, itsme213 <[hidden email]> wrote:

> "Jason Rogers" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
> > One thing I have always wanted since then was to be able to connect to
> > Salesforce from a Squeak image.
>
> Using Squeak as a client for some Salesforce apps? Or do you want to
> implement your own Squeak SalesForce app that your users would access
> through browsers (if that even possible)? Or something else?
>
> - Sophie
> (Not a SalesForce expert, but interested)

Jason Rogers

"I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live;
yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life
which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of
the Son of God, who loved me, and gave
himself for me."
    Galatians 2:20

Re: http://www.salesforce.com/

Andreas.Raab
Jason Rogers wrote:
> Using Squeak as a client for some Salesforce apps.  Salesforce hosts
> our data, users interact with it via many interfaces, but we still run
> servers to automatically update data in Salesforce (to keep it sane)
> and to integrate our internal services with Salesforce.  Currently
> those servers are written in (blegh*!*!@#&*!) Java.
>
> Having a Squeak server to do all of this would be really nice!!

Out of curiosity what is the problem connecting with Squeak? It looks
like a plain Soap interface from a glance at the docs
(http://www.salesforce.com/us/developer/docs/api/apex_api.pdf).

Cheers,
   - Andreas

> On Jan 31, 2008 9:00 PM, itsme213 <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> "Jason Rogers" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
>>> One thing I have always wanted since then was to be able to connect to
>>> Salesforce from a Squeak image.
>> Using Squeak as a client for some Salesforce apps? Or do you want to
>> implement your own Squeak SalesForce app that your users would access
>> through browsers (if that even possible)? Or something else?
>>
>> - Sophie
>> (Not a SalesForce expert, but interested)

Re: Re: http://www.salesforce.com/

Philippe Marschall
2008/2/1, Andreas Raab <[hidden email]>:

> Jason Rogers wrote:
> > Using Squeak as a client for some Salesforce apps.  Salesforce hosts
> > our data, users interact with it via many interfaces, but we still run
> > servers to automatically update data in Salesforce (to keep it sane)
> > and to integrate our internal services with Salesforce.  Currently
> > those servers are written in (blegh*!*!@#&*!) Java.
> >
> > Having a Squeak server to do all of this would be really nice!!
>
> Out of curiosity what is the problem connecting with Squeak? It looks
> like a plain Soap interface from a glance at the docs
> (http://www.salesforce.com/us/developer/docs/api/apex_api.pdf).

"plain Soap"

Cheers
Philippe

> Cheers,
>    - Andreas

> >> Using Squeak as a client for some Salesforce apps? Or do you want to
> >> implement your own Squeak SalesForce app that your users would access
> >> through browsers (if that even possible)? Or something else?
> >>
> >> - Sophie
> >> (Not a SalesForce expert, but interested)

Re: http://www.salesforce.com/

Jason Rogers-4
The SSL connection / certificate is the issue.  The SOAP and/or XMLRPC
can be negotiated easily, even if it means crafting the SOAP envelopes
by hand.

Philippe Marschall wrote:
> 2008/2/1, Andreas Raab <[hidden email]>:
>> Out of curiosity what is the problem connecting with Squeak? It looks
>> like a plain Soap interface from a glance at the docs
>> (http://www.salesforce.com/us/developer/docs/api/apex_api.pdf).
>
> "plain Soap"

Okay, I'll play along ;-) Given that you are surely aware of
http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/1399 which lists three frameworks for
Soap, what's the problem?

[BTW, I'm not just randomly asking - as it so happens I'll probably have
to look at talking to Salesforce in the next couple of months]

Cheers,
   -Andreas

Re: Re: http://www.salesforce.com/

Philippe Marschall
2008/2/1, Andreas Raab <[hidden email]>:

> Philippe Marschall wrote:
> > 2008/2/1, Andreas Raab <[hidden email]>:
> >> Out of curiosity what is the problem connecting with Squeak? It looks
> >> like a plain Soap interface from a glance at the docs
> >> (http://www.salesforce.com/us/developer/docs/api/apex_api.pdf).
> >
> > "plain Soap"
>
> Okay, I'll play along ;-) Given that you are surely aware of
> http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/1399 which lists three frameworks for
> Soap, what's the problem?

SOAP itself. It is simply not interoperable despite WS-I. The sole
existence of WS-I actually says a lot about SOAP. Cincom invested and
still does heavy resources on WS-*, just check out "James Robertson:
Cincom Smalltalk's VisualWorks and .NET White Paper". Yet still, after
all those years and resources they gave up on achieving
interoperability with the SAP SOAP implementation. I'm sure both
implementations are perfectly compliant to the SOAP spec. Instead they
decided to write a proprietary connector (without SOAP).

Cheers
Philippe

> [BTW, I'm not just randomly asking - as it so happens I'll probably have
> to look at talking to Salesforce in the next couple of months]
>
> Cheers,
>    -Andreas

Re: http://www.salesforce.com/

Sophie424
"Jason Rogers" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
> The SSL connection / certificate is the issue.

Could you use a lower-level solution outside squeak ? e.g. stunnel
http://www.visoracle.com/squeak/faq/stunnel.html

- Sophie

Re: Re: http://www.salesforce.com/

Jason Rogers-4
I tried stunnel-ing once, but was not successful at setting it up.

On Feb 2, 2008 11:19 AM, itsme213 <[hidden email]> wrote:

> "Jason Rogers" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
> > The SSL connection / certificate is the issue.
>
> Could you use a lower-level solution outside squeak ? e.g. stunnel
> http://www.visoracle.com/squeak/faq/stunnel.html
>
> - Sophie

Jason Rogers

"I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live;
yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life
which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of
the Son of God, who loved me, and gave
himself for me."
    Galatians 2:20

RE: Re: http://www.salesforce.com/

Ron Teitelbaum
Hi Jason,

There is a SSL package that works quite well for squeak.

1) load the cryptography package from squeak source.
2) get yourself a certificate from CACert (www.cacert.com)
3) import the cert using Rob's PCKS reader
4) start the ssl server if you need to be a server or us the ssl client to
connect to the server.  (if you are only connecting with the client you
don't need a certificate)

There is an SSL workspace that will open up when you load the code that has
examples of both the server and the client.  I've been using our SSL code
and it works quite well.  Oh and make sure you have the DESPlugin plugin
code for windows, or build the plugin for other platforms.  The performance
may not be adequate without it.

Hope that helps,

Ron Teitelbaum
Squeak Cryptography Team Leader

> From: Jason Rogers
>
> I tried stunnel-ing once, but was not successful at setting it up.
>
> On Feb 2, 2008 11:19 AM, itsme213 <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > "Jason Rogers" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
> > > The SSL connection / certificate is the issue.
> >
> > Could you use a lower-level solution outside squeak ? e.g. stunnel
> > http://www.visoracle.com/squeak/faq/stunnel.html
> >
> > - Sophie

> Jason Rogers
>
> "I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live;
> yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life
> which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of
> the Son of God, who loved me, and gave
> himself for me."
>     Galatians 2:20

Re: Re: http://www.salesforce.com/