httpProxyServer username and password

Geert Claes
Administrator
I am running my Pharo image from a USB stick and I am having problems connecting to the internet at work .  I can't seem to find how to set the corporate http proxy username and password anywhere ... I did manage to find the httpProxyPort and httpProxyServer settings using the preference browser but how do I specify the username and password?

Re: httpProxyServer username and password

Michael van der Gulik-2

On Mon, Feb 16, 2009 at 11:38 AM, Geert <[hidden email]> wrote:

I am running my Pharo image from a USB stick and I am having problems
connecting to the internet at work .  I can't seem to find how to set the
corporate http proxy username and password anywhere ... I did manage to find
the httpProxyPort and httpProxyServer settings using the preference browser
but how do I specify the username and password?

I don't know about Pharo, and I don't use that fancy smanchy Preference browser, but in Squeak 3.10 you can execute:

HttpSocket proxyUser: 'username' password: 'fish'.

Replacing, of course, username and fish.

Gulik.

--
http://people.squeakfoundation.org/person/mikevdg
http://gulik.pbwiki.com/

Re: httpProxyServer username and password

Geert Claes
Administrator
Thanks Michael, I'll give that a go soon.

Michael van der Gulik wrote
I like fancy smanchy ... I actually think it's not fancy smanchy enough :)

Re: httpProxyServer username and password

Geert Claes
Administrator
I am struggling in understanding Proxy settings (I am still very new here and I am now using the latest pharo0.1-10236dev09.02.2 image).  I specified the httpProxyServer and httpProxyPort in the http proxy category in the preferences browser.  Since the corporate proxy here requires everyone to authenticate, I also specified my username and password using: HTTPSocket proxyUser: 'myUsername' password: 'myPassword' in a Workspace.  I am not really getting an error message, but when trying to do an system update for example I get a message saying that "all code update servers seem to be unavailable" and when trying to install refresh a list of packages from the network in the Universe (Basic) browser nothing happens?

I did an "Inspect It" of HTTPSocket and I noticed it says "Proxy-Authorization: Basic"?  When I type "InternetConfiguration useHTTPProxy" in my Workspace and do "Print It" I get "false"?  I am sure I am doing something wrong here but can't seem to figure out what?

On a side note, maybe the proxy settings in the preference browser should be in a category called "Network" rather then "http proxy" and be more in the standard format of:

Network
- No Proxy
- Manual Proxy Configuration
    -- HTTP Proxy _____ Port __
    -- Username ___ Password _____ (this is currently missing)
- Automatic Proxy Configuration URL
    -- ___________ (this is missing too)

Anyway, any help or advice is very much appreciated.

Geert wrote