iOS partial relaxation on executing downloaded code

iOS partial relaxation on executing downloaded code

Ben Coman

This might be good news for some. I'm not sure whether it helps JITing.

Apple made several changes to the App Store Review Guidelines during WWDC this week, including an easing of the prohibition against downloading and executing code on an iOS device. The ban on executable code remains intact, but rule 2.5.2 [1] now also provides that: Apps designed to teach, develop, or test executable code may, in limited circumstances, download code provided that such code is not used for other purposes. Such apps must make the source code provided by the Application completely viewable and editable by the user.

cheers -ben

Re: iOS partial relaxation on executing downloaded code

timrowledge

> On 13-06-2017, at 10:22 AM, Ben Coman <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> This might be good news for some. I'm not sure whether it helps JITing.

I suspect it’s part of Apple preparing for an iOS XCode and similar development tools running on iPads. Now that the high-end iPads are essentially the same performance as decent laptops it would make sense to allow use of those ‘pro’ tools.

It certainly reads like it would cover having a real Squeak/Pharo (indeed, VA Smalltalk, VW, Smalltalk/X etc) running on an iPad. Given the glacial pace of many of these things it could even be ready for a 50th anniversary of Alan Kay’s PhD thesis.

tim
Useful random insult:- One of the early failures of electroshock therapy.

Re: iOS partial relaxation on executing downloaded code

johnmci

I do have a 64 bit cog(spur) stack VM working on the iPhone. Maybe later this summer will merge. Early adopters who can compile/run/explore can email me if they want early access.

The issue of JIT is completely different. You cannot get a page of Executable Read/Write memory to work with. Apps with the Safari attribute can, which they need for the JavaScript JIT, so it can grab some executable memory. But my understanding is that request is granted once at startup time (by the JIT engine) and application code doesn't have the ability to grab a page because it is too late in the process for the request. So no proper page(s) of memory, no JIT for you.

John M. McIntosh. Corporate Smalltalk Consulting Ltd https://www.linkedin.com/in/smalltalk