ideas for a new Famix

Nicolas Anquetil

Hi guys,

Food for thoughts.
It's a long one, but it is literally the result of years of thinking and
discussing Famix in our group.
This is still work in progress so that those who might want to
participate have a chance to do it before everything is already decided.

You can call it a vision for the next Famix (and Fame incidentally)

Although the goal of Famix is to be able to model systems in any
language, the reality of it is that it focuses very much on OO, and more
precisely on ST and Java.
And even with only these two languages, it is already difficult.
Famix is the union of ST + Java which means unneeded complexity when you
deal with only one of the two.

Same happen when considering something outside the current scope.
For example something as a C function calling another C function is
currently represented as an invocation, which means it has a receiver
(the object on which a message is sent, useless in C) and also a
collection of candidates (whereas in C function names must be unique).

When working with different languages, mostly not OO, it started to
annoy me, and I wanted to see how we could redesign a new Famix so that:
- we have a bare core metamodel that is really language independent
- something that is easily extensible so that one does not have to
redefine basic stuff (what is a variable, a class, a method)
- no "hidden" associations as the declaredType of a FamixStructuralEntity
- it is completely model driven, which means we can regenerate all the
code in Smalltalk, Java and other languages from the metamodel. Having
Fame (and thus Famix) in Java helped a lot when I did VerveineJ. I can
imagine having a C implementation of Fame could be nice to reuse old
parsers based on Bison+Flex :-)

I had two other requirements steming from the way I see metamodels:
primarily as conceptual representations of some domain. They should be
as clear as possible about what is meant by the concepts and their
relationships, and also it should be as close as possible from the human
conception of the domain.
This implies:
- I want it to be typed. C and Java have types to guard the developer
from making mistakes, I want types to clarify the meaning of the
concepts, like defining an ontology
- I want it to have multiple inheritance, with as little restrictions as
possible (typical multiple inheritance problems in programming
languages) to try to be closer from the abstract conception of the domain.

In short, we are looking for the Graal, nothing new here :-)
Now the question is how far we can push it and how close can we get?

Discussing we had the idea of a GenericEntity, probably equivalent to
the current FamixSourcedEntity.
We could have generic FunctionEntity, VariableEntity, ClassEntity
inheriting from GenericEntity; MethodEntity inheriting from FunctionEntity.
And all these only stating consensual things like a class defines
methods, a function defines variables.

Independent of that (meant to be used through multiple inheritance) we
would have the idea that there are ContainerEntity, BehavioredEntity,
TypedEntity, maybe even NamedEntity.
So that FunctionEntity (which is a GenericEntity) would also be a
BehavioredEntity + a NamedEntity.

Invocation would occur between two BehavioredEntity

And we could create new entities by combining all these things.
For example, a JavaMethodEntity would inherit from MethodEntity +
TypedEntity + ContainerEntity (may define classes)
A PascalProgram could be a GenericEntity+ContainerEntity (contains
functions)+BehavioredEntity

All this would be declarative in the new Famix and translated in some
way by Fame into different languages (lets concentrate on Pharo and Java
for now).
In a first step, behaviour to be reused (like navigation between a
ContainerEntity and its members) could be stored directly in the
metamodel for each target language and then copied appropriately when
generating actual code.
In a second step I also dream of using FAST (AST metamodeling, see
http://youtu.be/dRr3WHOD3x4) to model the behaviour abstractly and then
generate the code from that.

I believe this would introduce only two real changes to Moose: First
Fame would have to allow for multiple inheritance, second MooseChef
would have to be re-designed to allow for new queries (at least
ContainerEntity, BehavioredEntity).
And of course, we would need to using it concretely to see whether it
really helps considering new languages

So this is about it.
If you have any idea or comment on this, we will be glad to here from you.
If you want to participate, we will be even gladder because we are not
that many and it is a lot of work.

nicolas

--
Nicolas Anquetil -- RMod research team (Inria)

Re: ideas for a new Famix

Tudor Girba-2
Hi,

Thanks for taking the time to lay this out. I am certainly interested in participating. I agree with most of it, except one thing: multiple inheritance.

As I said before, we should use Traits instead. There are only benefits from using Traits:
- Traits are already supported by Pharo, making it easy to integrate meta-descriptions with existing code due to the 1-to-1 mapping between meta-descriptions and code, and thus benefits from tooling.
- Traits are better at dealing with conflicts.
- Java anyway does not have multiple inheritance, so choosing between Traits and multiple inheritance has a similar impact.
- Traits can be used as types as well.
- Chef showed that we can nicely use Traits for navigation.
- And we already have a first version of a Traits extension to Fame (built by Alain Plantec).

Cheers,
Doru

On Tue, Apr 9, 2013 at 11:44 AM, Nicolas Anquetil <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

I believe this would introduce only two real changes to Moose: First Fame would have to allow for multiple inheritance, second MooseChef would have to be re-designed to allow for new queries (at least ContainerEntity, BehavioredEntity).
And of course, we would need to using it concretely to see whether it really helps considering new languages

So this is about it.
If you have any idea or comment on this, we will be glad to here from you.
If you want to participate, we will be even gladder because we are not that many and it is a lot of work.

nicolas

--
Nicolas Anquetil -- RMod research team (Inria)

"Every thing has its own flow"

Re: ideas for a new Famix

Nicolas Anquetil

thank you for you contribution.

I had a similar discussion with Damien Cassou (about traits).

First, it depends a lot on what you call a Trait.

What I understood is that traits boil down to an inheritance mechanism where you can specify how each property is inherited.
Typically, you don't specify anything ("normal inheritance") but when you multiply inherit the same property from two super-class, you can rename one of the 2 property (aliasing) or reject it (restriction).

So from this point of view, yes we will use Traits because we also need to deal with name collision in multiple inheritance.

Second we want to have attributes in the Famix concepts.
Again, as I understand, in Pharo, traits are currently stateless due to compilation/optimization issue.
But Fame and Famix or not real programming languages. They need to be compiled to a programming language which is compiled to a low level language.
Because the first "compilation" goes to a language with symbols (instead of accessing attributes by their position), there does not seem to be any difficulty in considering "statefull traits" in Fame/Famix.
Both methods and attributes would be treated the same (inheritance + possible aliasing/restriction)

So in this sense, we can say that we will be using statefull traits.

But in the end, I am not too sure whether it makes sense to speak of Traits at this level of abstraction.
We are currently aiming at multiple inheritance of both attributes+methods with the aliasing/restriction mechanisms.
Is this traits?

As for compiling Famix to programming languages, this is a very different story.
Currently the way it works is that we program things in Pharo, add the appropriate pragmas to the Pharo methods, and then generate Famix from the Pharo classes.
What I would like to have is more top-down: we generate everything in Famix (will need a bit of tooling here), and then we generate Pharo code automatically.

Done that way, the discussion about trait and inheritance can be eliminated because actually, one can generate a flat set of Pharo classes where all inheritance has been inlined.
In some sense, it is again similar to current implementation of Traits in Pharo where the Traits methods are compiled inside the Pharo class.

So again it will be kind of using traits again.

As for Alain's work.
I have it on my disk, but did not have the time to look at it yet.

nicolas

On Wed, Apr 10, 2013 at 8:36 AM, Nicolas Anquetil <[hidden email]> wrote:

thank you for you contribution.

I had a similar discussion with Damien Cassou (about traits).

First, it depends a lot on what you call a Trait.

Trait has only one meaning in programming languages, and it denotes a mechanism for reuse. Multiple inheritance is also a mechanism for reuse. The difference lies in the semantics of specifying and handling the reuse.

[...]

Yes. And the way we can get around the current Pharo Trait implementation is by using state dictionary, like we are doing now in MooseEntity.

But in the end, I am not too sure whether it makes sense to speak of Traits at this level of abstraction.

It does.

We are currently aiming at multiple inheritance of both attributes+methods with the aliasing/restriction mechanisms.
Is this traits?

No. we are aiming at composing meta-models and for that we need a language mechanism. Hence, talking about the mechanism makes perfect sense. And we will use Traits because it is the best on the market.

As for compiling Famix to programming languages, this is a very different story.
Currently the way it works is that we program things in Pharo, add the appropriate pragmas to the Pharo methods, and then generate Famix from the Pharo classes.
What I would like to have is more top-down: we generate everything in Famix (will need a bit of tooling here), and then we generate Pharo code automatically.
Done that way, the discussion about trait and inheritance can be eliminated because actually, one can generate a flat set of Pharo classes where all inheritance has been inlined.
In some sense, it is again similar to current implementation of Traits in Pharo where the Traits methods are compiled inside the Pharo class.
So again it will be kind of using traits again.

I disagree. We keep a 1-to-1 mapping to Pharo. This is critical because we are using Pharo as the execution language and we do not want to deal with two model abstractions. Of course, we should also build tools, such as the MetaBrowser that make it easier for us to handle the meta-descriptions, but in the end we want to keep a clear mapping to Pharo code. This will save us a ton of trouble down the road.

Given that Traits are already supported in the execution language (Pharo), we can directly use this 1-to-1 mapping without any problems. So, we will not rely on generation at all. The same as it is now. And we put in place tests that check the meta-descriptions.

Generation only looks cheap, but as soon as you want to manipulate anything at the lower level, it becomes highly expensive. We managed to keep away from this and it payed off until now. I insist on this point :).

As for Alain's work.
I have it on my disk, but did not have the time to look at it yet.

I think we should start from this one and see how we can support Fame-Traits in Java.

Doru

[...]

stephane ducasse
Nicolas

I would really like if you could (with camille/anne/damien/usman) have a document (can a couple of slide)
where you precisely shows the problem synectiquers encountered with FAMIX.
It will help for the solution/paper :)
And it will help me to understand what are the key problems.

Stef

On 04/10/2013 08:57 AM, Tudor Girba wrote:
Hi,

On Wed, Apr 10, 2013 at 8:36 AM, Nicolas Anquetil <[hidden email]> wrote:

thank you for you contribution.
I had a similar discussion with Damien Cassou (about traits).
First, it depends a lot on what you call a Trait.

Trait has only one meaning in programming languages, and it denotes a mechanism for reuse. Multiple inheritance is also a mechanism for reuse. The difference lies in the semantics of specifying and handling the reuse.
Glad to see we have the same definition of traits.

Yet I will object on your assumptions: I am talking metamodeling, you are talking programming.

Long time ago, there was a warning on not using inheritance for reuse but for subtyping (and it even came out of Smalltalk that used to "cancel" some of the inherited methods of a class).
I want to talk about multiple INHERITANCE because I want to talk about subtyping.

Metamodelling is abstract, a description of a "domain".
I want to be careful to describe things "the right way", meaning not for implementation, but for understanding.
Because I believe that only by keeping as close as possible to the domain (the concepts in our heads) we will have a proper implementation.

Basically we have the same idea of 1-to-1 mapping (see your answer further down), but you are thinking of pharo as the programming language and I was trying to think of Famix as the implementation language ...

[...]

Everybody uses code generation everyday because compiling is just generating to byte code.
So the question might be whether we can do without "[manipulating] anything at the lower level", or else to find a way to manipulate directly Famix entities in Pharo.

nicolas

On 04/11/2013 09:04 AM, stephane ducasse wrote:
Nicolas

I would really like if you could (with camille/anne/damien/usman) have a document (can a couple of slide)
where you precisely shows the problem synectiquers encountered with FAMIX.
It will help for the solution/paper :)
And it will help me to understand what are the key problems.

Stef

Some problems we see with current Famix.
Several of them just say that entities have too many properties that do not make sense for them.
Other could be solved by adding more properties to generic entities.
This is what prompted us to think about multiple inheritance (or traits :-) ) to compose new entities from a set of simple "properties" (not in Famix sense of property).

- Invocation is designed for OO. There is no receiver in procedural languages. This is a semantical problem, but practical too as 'printOn:' has to be redefined to show 'from -> to' instead of 'from -> receiver'

- Invocation is designed for "non-typed language". In statically typed languages or procedural languages one knows (or has a pretty good idea) the function/method called. In these cases, 'candidates' adds unnecessary complexity

- Some relations between entities are reified (Associations) other not. E.g. Access is an association, but the type of a variable is a "simple" relation. BelongsTo is not reified, neither is AnnotationInstances, ...

- Abstract Famix classes like NamedEntity inlude many properties that are Java specific (isAbstract, isFinal, isPublic, ...), so that a Function, a Package or a LocalVariable have the isAbstract, isFinal properties and AnnotationInstances relation.

- This is further complicated by the fact that these properties are derived from 'modifiers'. So when looking at the meta-description of NamedEntites, one sees many redundant properties.

- A language like Cobol has no functions, it has paragraph that is a sequence of statement with a label to go to it and a return statement (with no value) at the end. For them 'signature' and 'parameters' are meaningless.

- 'functions' are defined for ScopingEntity which is not a BehaviouralEntity. But there are cases where we want both (a Pascal program would be an example)

- all sourcedEntities have a sourceAnchor and comments, which does not make sense for ScopingEntities, or ImplicitVariables

- for synectique we want an alternative notion of container where a container only contains BehaviouralEntity, not other entities (a Smalltalk method would not be a container).

nicolas

On Apr 12, 2013, at 1:32 PM, Nicolas Anquetil <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 04/11/2013 09:04 AM, stephane ducasse wrote:
>> Nicolas
>>
>> I would really like if you could (with camille/anne/damien/usman) have a document (can a couple of slide)
>> where you precisely shows the problem synectiquers encountered with FAMIX.
>> It will help for the solution/paper :)
>> And it will help me to understand what are the key problems.
>>
>> Stef
>
> Some problems we see with current Famix.
> Several of them just say that entities have too many properties that do not make sense for them.
        give example

> Other could be solved by adding more properties to generic entities.
        but usless for others :).

> This is what prompted us to think about multiple inheritance (or traits :-) ) to compose new entities from a set of simple "properties" (not in Famix sense of property).

        traits-based :)
        indeed traits should be good for that.
        Probably what you want is to have pair of traits that you apply to both end of a relation also.

> - Invocation is designed for OO. There is no receiver in procedural languages. This is a semantical problem, but practical too as 'printOn:' has to be redefined to show 'from -> to' instead of 'from -> receiver'

        but we could have a superclass for call and a subclass for invocation?

> - Invocation is designed for "non-typed language". In statically typed languages or procedural languages one knows (or has a pretty good idea) the function/method called. In these cases, 'candidates' adds unnecessary complexity

        Really? In Java there are cases where you do not know. For example if you have an interface: you may have different classes?

> - Some relations between entities are reified (Associations) other not. E.g. Access is an association, but the type of a variable is a "simple" relation.
        this is the question of what is your domain and if you have to attach information to the relation.
        To me I do not see why I would like a relation for type.

> BelongsTo is not reified,
        Why do you want to have pointers as relations?
        To me it will blow up metamodels for not. I do not see the value of having a method belongs to a class as a relation.

> neither is AnnotationInstances, …

        there it could make sense.

> - Abstract Famix classes like NamedEntity inlude many properties that are Java specific (isAbstract, isFinal, isPublic, ...), so that a Function, a Package or a LocalVariable have the isAbstract, isFinal properties and AnnotationInstances relation.

        Yes the tyranny of the dominant decomposition but now do you want to have to express everywhere where

> - This is further complicated by the fact that these properties are derived from 'modifiers'. So when looking at the meta-description of NamedEntites, one sees many redundant properties.

        yes probably should be rethought

> - A language like Cobol has no functions, it has paragraph that is a sequence of statement with a label to go to it and a return statement (with no value) at the end. For them 'signature' and 'parameters' are meaningless.

        so you will have a hard job to always compose a new model for each language if you do not accept some interpretation.
        It also means that you will have hard time to reuse tools.

> - 'functions' are defined for ScopingEntity which is not a BehaviouralEntity. But there are cases where we want both (a Pascal program would be an example)
        this is a nice one :)

> - all sourcedEntities have a sourceAnchor and comments, which does not make sense for ScopingEntities, or ImplicitVariables
>
> - for synectique we want an alternative notion of container where a container only contains BehaviouralEntity, not other entities (a Smalltalk method would not be a container).

        so it would be interesting to start identifying the traits you want to have a build a libraries.

> nicolas
>
> --
> Nicolas Anquetil -- RMod research team (Inria)

Re: ideas for a new Famix

Anne Etien
Hi,

Sorry for arriving after the battle.

I just want to talk about my experiment in metamodel and model generation.

It is clear for me that the concept of Trait should not appear in Fame. It can be use in its implementation, but can't be considered at the same level than Element, Class, Property or Package.

I fully agree with Nicolas, when he says that Doru is talking programming and he is talking metamodelling.

So Fame is a metametamodel. What is the concept that we want to implement with Traits (or something else) that does not exist currently in Fame? This concept is reuse. A class can reuse several properties from another or several other classes. Sometimes, we want to specify that the property is not reuse as such but using alias...

There exist different way to implement this thing. Smalltalk calls it Traits, Eiffel calls it inheritance (there exist perhaps other). There are certainly some differences that are yet too subtle for me.
Moreover, methods do not appear in Fame so according to me Traits should neither not appear. But it may happen that I do not understand how it should be introduced.

Considering the generation. It is currently performed a lot. It makes sense only if we don't touch the intermediary nor the final level, otherwise the high level and the low level are no more align.

I hope it can help in the discussion.
Anne

Le 13 avr. 2013 à 09:08, stephane ducasse a écrit :

> [...]
> It also means that you will have hard time to reuse tools.
>
>> - 'functions' are defined for ScopingEntity which is not a BehaviouralEntity. But there are cases where we want both (a Pascal program would be an example)
> this is a nice one :)
>
>> - all sourcedEntities have a sourceAnchor and comments, which does not make sense for ScopingEntities, or ImplicitVariables
>>
>> - for synectique we want an alternative notion of container where a container only contains BehaviouralEntity, not other entities (a Smalltalk method would not be a container).
>
> so it would be interesting to start identifying the traits you want to have a build a libraries.
>

>> nicolas
>>
>> --
>> Nicolas Anquetil -- RMod research team (Inria)

Hi Nicolas, hi Anne,

I agree with the distinction of implementation reuse and sub-typing. When I said reuse, I did not refer to implementation reuse, but to typing reuse.

When you say "Famix as implementation language", I presume you mean "the structure of FAMIX as implementation language". As soon as you will talk about "FAMIX as executable language" you will run into the little problem of having an executable language in the first place. In Moose, we want to have Smalltalk as the executable language. This is not just a matter of implementation. It is an important meta-modeling aspect.

Fame is indeed a meta-meta-model, but Traits should be captured there as well. Obviously not the Smalltalk Traits, but the Fame Traits. As I said before, the important part of the reuse mechanism resides in its ability to deal with conflicts. Multiple-inheritance in its known language incarnations (e.g., C++) is a mechanism that comes with ambiguities. That is why I do not like this term. Traits comes with an explicit conflict resolution mechanism. That is why I like this one and I would like to see this mechanism in Fame.

The most important part for me is that when we will come down from the paper discussion into the programming trenches, the mapping to the underlying implementation is decisive. Take PetitParser, for example. It also has a meta-model, but it also come with a neat mapping to Smalltalk classes. This helps us develop and debug with Smalltalk tools. Of course, if we get a dedicated tool, we can do even more cool things, like we do in the PPBrowser.

As for generation, I completely agree that we are doing it all the time, but it only works when we do not get to see it. But, we get to see FAMIX all the time, and as a consequence, FAMIX should be editable at plain Smalltalk level. Doing it otherwise would be shooting ourselves in the foot. So, I do not want to rely on generation in the Smalltalk incarnation of FAMIX.

Anyway, it seems we are making progress and I think we are actually not disagreeing, only picking up on names. I think this is a really exciting direction that was long on the roadmap, but never really tackled.

Cheers,
Doru

On Mon, Apr 15, 2013 at 11:12 AM, Anne Etien <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

>       so it would be interesting to start identifying the traits you want to have a build a libraries.
>

>> nicolas
>>
>> --
>> Nicolas Anquetil -- RMod research team (Inria)

"Every thing has its own flow"

Re: ideas for a new Famix

stephane ducasse

On Apr 15, 2013, at 11:12 AM, Anne Etien <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Sorry for arriving after the battle.
>
> I just want to talk about my experiment in metamodel and model generation.
>
> It is clear for me that the concept of Trait should not appear in Fame. It can be use in its implementation, but can't be considered at the same level than Element, Class, Property or Package.

Why?

> I fully agree with Nicolas, when he says that Doru is talking programming and he is talking metamodelling.

I do not see why this is an important difference.

On Apr 15, 2013, at 11:34 AM, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

I do not get it. Do we generate?

> [...]

>       It also means that you will have hard time to reuse tools.
>
>> - 'functions' are defined for ScopingEntity which is not a BehaviouralEntity. But there are cases where we want both (a Pascal program would be an example)
>       this is a nice one :)
>
>> - all sourcedEntities have a sourceAnchor and comments, which does not make sense for ScopingEntities, or ImplicitVariables
>>
>> - for synectique we want an alternative notion of container where a container only contains BehaviouralEntity, not other entities (a Smalltalk method would not be a container).
>
>       so it would be interesting to start identifying the traits you want to have a build a libraries.
>

>> nicolas
>>
>> --
>> Nicolas Anquetil -- RMod research team (Inria)

Hi Stef,

Nicolas and Anne argued that generation is used all the time, for example when compiling. So, I agreed that we use it like that only that we do not want to see it :).

Doru

On Apr 15, 2013, at 11:11 PM, stephane ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>> >       this is the question of what is your domain and if you have to attach information to the relation.
>> >       To me I do not see why I would like a relation for type.

>> >       Why do you want to have pointers as relations?
>> >       To me it will blow up metamodels for not. I do not see the value of having a method belongs to a class as a relation.

>> >       there it could make sense.

>> >       Yes the tyranny of the dominant decomposition but now do you want to have to express everywhere where

>> >       yes probably should be rethought

>> >       so you will have a hard job to always compose a new model for each language if you do not accept some interpretation.
>> >       It also means that you will have hard time to reuse tools.

>> >       this is a nice one :)

>> >       so it would be interesting to start identifying the traits you want to have a build a libraries.

www.tudorgirba.com

"Problem solving efficiency grows with the abstractness level of problem understanding."

Re: ideas for a new Famix

stephane ducasse

On Apr 16, 2013, at 7:08 AM, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Stef,
>
> Nicolas and Anne argued that generation is used all the time, for example when compiling. So, I agreed that we use it like that only that we do not want to see it :).

Yes but we do not want to compile smalltalk code from Fame :)

> [...]
>>> Moreover, methods do not appear in Fame so according to me Traits should neither not appear. But it may happen that I do not understand how it should be introduced.
>>>
>>> Considering the generation. It is currently performed a lot. It makes sense only if we don't touch the intermediary nor the final level, otherwise the high level and the low level are no more align.
>>>
>>> I hope it can help in the discussion.
>>> Anne

>>> --
>>> www.tudorgirba.com
>>>
>>> "Every thing has its own flow"

> www.tudorgirba.com
>
> "Problem solving efficiency grows with the abstractness level of problem understanding."

Precisely :). This is exactly my point. Given that we want to use Smalltalk as an executable language, we will get to see this code all the time, so we do not want to depend on generation.

Doru

On Tue, Apr 16, 2013 at 1:00 PM, stephane ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]

>>> Moreover, methods do not appear in Fame so according to me Traits should neither not appear. But it may happen that I do not understand how it should be introduced.
>>>
>>> Considering the generation. It is currently performed a lot. It makes sense only if we don't touch the intermediary nor the final level, otherwise the high level and the low level are no more align.
>>>
>>> I hope it can help in the discussion.
>>> Anne

>>> --
>>> www.tudorgirba.com
>>>
>>> "Every thing has its own flow"

> www.tudorgirba.com
>
> "Problem solving efficiency grows with the abstractness level of problem understanding."

So about traits, we agreed with Doru that we probably are all talking
about the same thing with different names.

I want multiple inheritance in Fame in the sense that I want to be able
to say that a JavaMethod is an Entity + a BehaviouredEntity +
TypedEntity + a ContainerEntity

Conflicts needs to be resolved ans traits are the best solution, we
agree, but I am reluctant to call it trait because it seems like a
strong reference to Pharo's traits.
Anyway, let's call it traits as long as we agree that they don't suffer
from Pharo traits limitations

FameTraits should be "statefull traits" (unlike PharoTraits) because
Famix primarily defines structure.

I don't like Alain's proposal (sorry Alain) because it introduces a new
concept in the metametamodel where I don't think it is needed.

About Fame (or any metametamodel) Damien talks about boxes and links,
and it seems an appropriate  level of abstraction. I don't like the idea
of having to say Fame has blue boxes with "normal inheritance" and green
boxes with "trait inheritance".

The immediate solution could be:
- Fame has only one kind of boxes and all inheritance allows for
aliasing and restriction of the inherited properties ("traits
inheritance" therefore)

The problem is how does this map to a Pharo implementation?
Because Pharo Traits are stateless and Pharo classes don't have "trait
inheritance"

I don't know right now especially if we insist on having 1-to-1 mapping
between a Pharo class and a Famix box.
But let's try not to limit our solution to what we can implement (as
much as we can)

The idea of having code generation was exactly to avoid this problem.
Even if I don't know how to do it nicely for now.

As for another question of steph: why would we represent things like the
type of a variable as an association, it is because it would allow to
build mooseChef queries directly on this.

nicolas

On Apr 16, 2013, at 1:10 PM, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:

Precisely :). This is exactly my point. Given that we want to use Smalltalk as an executable language, we will get to see this code all the time, so we do not want to depend on generation.

Especially if we run smalllint and others tools.

On Apr 16, 2013, at 4:15 PM, Nicolas Anquetil <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> So about traits, we agreed with Doru that we probably are all talking about the same thing with different names.
>
> I want multiple inheritance in Fame in the sense that I want to be able to say that a JavaMethod is an Entity + a BehaviouredEntity + TypedEntity + a ContainerEntity
>
> Conflicts needs to be resolved ans traits are the best solution, we agree, but I am reluctant to call it trait because it seems like a strong reference to Pharo's traits.
> Anyway, let's call it traits as long as we agree that they don't suffer from Pharo traits limitations

But why don't you define a Smalltalk-level

> FameTraits should be "statefull traits" (unlike PharoTraits) because Famix primarily defines structure.
>
> I don't like Alain's proposal (sorry Alain) because it introduces a new concept in the metametamodel where I don't think it is needed.
>
> About Fame (or any metametamodel) Damien talks about boxes and links, and it seems an appropriate  level of abstraction. I don't like the idea of having to say Fame has blue boxes with "normal inheritance" and green boxes with "trait inheritance".
>
> The immediate solution could be:
> - Fame has only one kind of boxes and all inheritance allows for aliasing and restriction of the inherited properties ("traits inheritance" therefore)

Frankly I do not understand what are the problems.
Because I would just define traits at the Smalltalk level
        for BehavioredEntity, TypedEntity…..
and I would describe that with Fame
and see if it working because I have the impression that this is.

> The problem is how does this map to a Pharo implementation?
> Because Pharo Traits are stateless and Pharo classes don't have "trait inheritance"

But in Pharo traits you simply define accessors and in the composite class you define the instance variables
and you are done.

> I don't know right now especially if we insist on having 1-to-1 mapping between a Pharo class and a Famix box.
> But let's try not to limit our solution to what we can implement (as much as we can)
>
> The idea of having code generation was exactly to avoid this problem.
> Even if I don't know how to do it nicely for now.

> As for another question of steph: why would we represent things like the type of a variable as an association, it is because it would allow to build mooseChef queries directly on this.

Ah. Ok
But may be moose chef can be abstracted so that one query returns the same object and you "simulate" a relation.
This way we can have either relation or attributes-based relationship navigated the same way and this is decoupled
from the implementation storage.

Because from a space point of view we should pay attention.
What do you think about that?