ifNil supported?

Stefan Schmiedl
I'm seeing "isNil ifTrue" and similar constructs.
Are ifNil and friends not available on all supported swazoo platforms?

Thanks,
s.

Re: ifNil supported?

Janko Mivšek
Stefan Schmiedl wrote:

> I'm seeing "isNil ifTrue" and similar constructs.
> Are ifNil and friends not available on all supported swazoo platforms?

Exactly. Or at least were not until recently. In any case it is more
safe not to use them.

Janko

--
Janko Mivšek
AIDA/Web

Re: ifNil supported?

Philippe Marschall
2008/11/23 Stefan Schmiedl <[hidden email]>:
> I'm seeing "isNil ifTrue" and similar constructs.
> Are ifNil and friends not available on all supported swazoo platforms?

#ifNil: is fine unless you support some platforms that Seaside
doesn't. When in doubt do as Seaside does and write a test that
documents your assumptions about the underlying platform. This way by
running all tests you also test your assumptions.

Speaking of portability there is a lot of Swazoo code that seems to be
written for VW. A good example is code that assumes #new does not send
#initialize. Well on Squeak it does. This results in Swazoo object
creation behaving differently under VW and Squeak. Instances of Site
for example receive #initialize thrice (3 times !) upon creation in
Squeak.

Cheers
Philippe

Re: ifNil supported?

Janko Mivšek
Philippe Marschall wrote:

> Speaking of portability there is a lot of Swazoo code that seems to be
> written for VW. A good example is code that assumes #new does not send
> #initialize. Well on Squeak it does. This results in Swazoo object
> creation behaving differently under VW and Squeak. Instances of Site
> for example receive #initialize thrice (3 times !) upon creation in
> Squeak.

This #initialize mess would be nice to be cleaned up. Stefan, have you
maybe some time to try that?

Janko

--
Janko Mivšek
AIDA/Web
Smalltalk Web Application Server
http://www.aidaweb.si

Re: ifNil supported?

Bruce Badger
On 23/11/2008, Philippe Marschall <[hidden email]> wrote:
>  Speaking of portability there is a lot of Swazoo code that seems to be
>  written for VW.

This is indeed true for the code is in the older branch of the HTTP
server.  The Hyper branch was specifically set up to be portable, and
was set up to be part of Swazoo before Janko made version one ... but
excluded Hyper keeping the old non-portable code.

You can use Hyper HTTP library with Swazoo today if you wish.  It was
always tested along side the Swazoo resource management code, even
though we never used that for OpenSkills.

All the best,
    Bruce
http://www.openskills.org/

Re: ifNil supported?

Stefan Schmiedl
On Sun, 23 Nov 2008 16:21:58 +0100
Janko Mivšek <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Philippe Marschall wrote:
>
> > Speaking of portability there is a lot of Swazoo code that seems to
> > be written for VW. A good example is code that assumes #new does
> > not send #initialize. Well on Squeak it does. This results in
> > Swazoo object creation behaving differently under VW and Squeak.
> > Instances of Site for example receive #initialize thrice (3
> > times !) upon creation in Squeak.
>
> This #initialize mess would be nice to be cleaned up. Stefan, have
> you maybe some time to try that?

Depending on some external issues, I might be able to work on it
during the next week.

s.