(igor) Help for 1.1: condenseChanges does not work anymore

12

Re: (igor) Help for 1.1: condenseChanges does not work anymore

Igor Stasenko
On 9 May 2010 23:17, Alain Plantec <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> Ok, i took the 11343
>> - fixed the #condenseChanges
>> - ran  Smalltalk condenseChanges
>> - changed the single method
>> - saved image
>> - ran   Smalltalk condenseChanges again
>>
>> no crash reported.
>>

> Indeed, with 11343 it seems ok.
> With 11326 (updated -> 11346), crash during the second condenseChanges :(

Alain, could you please send me an image +.changes saved just before
running a second condenseChanges?
I'll try to find the cause of it.

> Alain
>>

>>> Alain

Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Re: (igor) Help for 1.1: condenseChanges does not work anymore

Nicolas Cellier
Sorry for the infinite loop, it was my fault.
I thought it had been detected and solved already (in squeak ?).

Destroying source pointer of un-installed methods was just a
workaround to be used in case of already broken sources.
There is another strategy : detect the source pointer of un-installed
methods and store them in the new change log.
This has to be done before logging source code of installed methods.

Nicolas

2010/5/9 Igor Stasenko <[hidden email]>:

> On 9 May 2010 23:17, Alain Plantec <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Ok, i took the 11343
>>> - fixed the #condenseChanges
>>> - ran  Smalltalk condenseChanges
>>> - changed the single method
>>> - saved image
>>> - ran   Smalltalk condenseChanges again
>>>
>>> no crash reported.
>>>

>> Indeed, with 11343 it seems ok.
>> With 11326 (updated -> 11346), crash during the second condenseChanges :(
>
> Alain, could you please send me an image +.changes saved just before
> running a second condenseChanges?
> I'll try to find the cause of it.
>
>> Alain

> Best regards,
> Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Re: (igor) Help for 1.1: condenseChanges does not work anymore

Stéphane Ducasse
nicolas

do you have an idea where we can look?

Stef

On May 10, 2010, at 6:26 PM, Nicolas Cellier wrote:

> Sorry for the infinite loop, it was my fault.
> I thought it had been detected and solved already (in squeak ?).
>
> Destroying source pointer of un-installed methods was just a
> workaround to be used in case of already broken sources.
> There is another strategy : detect the source pointer of un-installed
> methods and store them in the new change log.
> This has to be done before logging source code of installed methods.
>
> Nicolas

>>> Indeed, with 11343 it seems ok.
>>> With 11326 (updated -> 11346), crash during the second condenseChanges :(
>>
>> Alain, could you please send me an image +.changes saved just before
>> running a second condenseChanges?
>> I'll try to find the cause of it.
>>
>>> Alain

>> --
>> Best regards,
>> Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Re: (igor) Help for 1.1: condenseChanges does not work anymore

Igor Stasenko
On 10 May 2010 19:26, Nicolas Cellier
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Sorry for the infinite loop, it was my fault.
> I thought it had been detected and solved already (in squeak ?).
>
> Destroying source pointer of un-installed methods was just a
> workaround to be used in case of already broken sources.
> There is another strategy : detect the source pointer of un-installed
> methods and store them in the new change log.
> This has to be done before logging source code of installed methods.

I'd like to point, that some trailer kinds don't need to be altered
even if you condensing changes.
They are completely self sufficient and not related to 'standard'
source management system.
In fact, a condense changes _should_ take care only about methods
which having a trailers carrying the source pointers
("001000" #VarLengthSourcePointer,  "111111" #SourcePointer ) while
others don't need any changes.
There is a test method in CompiledMethodTrailer, #hasSourcePointer
which can be used to check if you need to deal with this method when
condensing .changes or not.

But since currently the variety of trailers its not widely adopted
(most of methods just storing a source pointers there), its
fine to destroy trailers of non-installed methods. In future, it could
be made more clever.

> Nicolas

>>> Indeed, with 11343 it seems ok.
>>> With 11326 (updated -> 11346), crash during the second condenseChanges :(
>>
>> Alain, could you please send me an image +.changes saved just before
>> running a second condenseChanges?
>> I'll try to find the cause of it.
>>
>>> Alain

>> --
>> Best regards,
>> Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

2010/5/10 Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]>:
> nicolas
>
> do you have an idea where we can look?
>
> Stef

Sorry, I don't have time to dig into it...
But I think invent is a more appropriate verb than look in this case.
The ideas of Igor sound good to me, delegate some to CompiledMethods
and maybe use a mass becomeForward

Nicolas

> On May 10, 2010, at 6:26 PM, Nicolas Cellier wrote:
>
>> Sorry for the infinite loop, it was my fault.
>> I thought it had been detected and solved already (in squeak ?).
>>
>> Destroying source pointer of un-installed methods was just a
>> workaround to be used in case of already broken sources.
>> There is another strategy : detect the source pointer of un-installed
>> methods and store them in the new change log.
>> This has to be done before logging source code of installed methods.
>>
>> Nicolas

>>> Alain, could you please send me an image +.changes saved just before
>>> running a second condenseChanges?
>>> I'll try to find the cause of it.

>>> --
>>> Best regards,
>>> Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Re: (igor) Help for 1.1: condenseChanges does not work anymore

Mariano Martinez Peck
Ok...now it seems to be working again. However, It takes MUCH more time than in Pharo 1.0. I really don't care too much, I just want to know if this is expected or not.

Cheers

Mariano

On May 13, 2010, at 11:33 PM, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

> Ok...now it seems to be working again. However, It takes MUCH more time than in Pharo 1.0.

can you be more precise?
Apparently they are a lot of methods hanging around and they should be cleaned. Now we do not care that condense
Changes is fast or not. It works so perfect.

On Fri, May 14, 2010 at 12:15 AM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:

On May 13, 2010, at 11:33 PM, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

> Ok...now it seems to be working again. However, It takes MUCH more time than in Pharo 1.0.

can you be more precise?

Yes, I can:

"In PharoCore 10517"
MessageTally time: [Smalltalk condenseChanges]. -> 8127

"In PharoCore 11357"
MessageTally time: [Smalltalk condenseChanges]. 490523

Apparently they are a lot of methods hanging around and they should be cleaned. Now we do not care that condense
Changes is fast or not. It works so perfect.

Yes. But I am intrigued why.

2010/5/14 Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]>:

> On Fri, May 14, 2010 at 12:15 AM, Stéphane Ducasse
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> On May 13, 2010, at 11:33 PM, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:
>>
>> > Ok...now it seems to be working again. However, It takes MUCH more time
>> > than in Pharo 1.0.
>>
>> can you be more precise?
>
> Yes, I can:
>
> "In PharoCore 10517"
> MessageTally time: [Smalltalk condenseChanges]. -> 8127
>
> "In PharoCore 11357"
> MessageTally time: [Smalltalk condenseChanges]. 490523
>

>> Apparently they are a lot of methods hanging around and they should be
>> cleaned. Now we do not care that condense
>> Changes is fast or not. It works so perfect.
>>

> Yes. But I am intrigued why.

array := ByteArray new: 100.

Try compare speed between

array at: 1 put: 10.

and:

arrayCopy := array copy.
arrayCopy at: 1 put: 10.
arrayCopy becomeForward: array.

>> > I really don't care too much, I just want to know if this is expected or
>> > not.
>> >
>> > Cheers
>> >
>> > Mariano
>> >
>> > On Tue, May 11, 2010 at 8:41 PM, Nicolas Cellier
>> > <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> > Sorry, I don't have time to dig into it...
>> > But I think invent is a more appropriate verb than look in this case.
>> > The ideas of Igor sound good to me, delegate some to CompiledMethods
>> > and maybe use a mass becomeForward
>> >
>> > Nicolas

Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.