iliad on VisualWorks

jhancock
Does anyone have a VisualWorks port of Iliad?
I know pharo is a great "go forward" platform, but for now I need to
use VisuaLWorks 7.7.1.

thanks, Jon

Re: iliad on VisualWorks

sebastien audier
Hi Jon, not yet implemented,

I know that Steven Costiou tried to port it with Nicolas, but too many bug which were never fixed...

Do you plan to port it, may be ?

--
Sébastien AUDIER

ObjectFusion S.A.R.L.
Applications web, consulting, design
http://www.objectfusion.fr

Re: iliad on VisualWorks

jhancock
Do I plan to port it?  I'll look into it, but probably not.  I am in a situation now where it would be good to use one Smalltalk and my paying client has an old project in VW which cannot be ported and was hoping to not constantly switch environs.

I would love to just stick with pharo or maybe get into GNU/St, but there is no paying work in that so far as I can find ;(

thanks, Jon

On 04/06/2011 12:10 PM, sebastien audier wrote:
Hi Jon, not yet implemented,

I know that Steven Costiou tried to port it with Nicolas, but too many bug which were never fixed...

Do you plan to port it, may be ?

--
Sébastien AUDIER

ObjectFusion S.A.R.L.
Applications web, consulting, design
http://www.objectfusion.fr

Re: iliad on VisualWorks

Steven Costiou
Hi,

so far Nico and I ported two versions of Iliad to VW (7.6 and 7.7), but each time we were facing bugs that seem related to the environment (i.e. iliad Pharo sources direct port + VW) - or to our inefficiency.

We had no time to investigate at the moment, so we kind of decided to wait...

I don't know if you're in a schedule or not, but if we had some time we could try to port it again from Iliad 0.9 versions.

I think it is possible to get really fast to where we were stuck (like in two days), and then ask for help from the community (which we should have done the first time by the way =p).

Anyway, it is something that has to be done, if it is worked out by somebody before i do, then its cool =p I will not be able to do anything until at least four weeks because i have no access to my stuff (in a hotel in Paris with no computer).

-Steven Costiou-

2011/4/6 Jon Hancock <[hidden email]>
Do I plan to port it?  I'll look into it, but probably not.  I am in a situation now where it would be good to use one Smalltalk and my paying client has an old project in VW which cannot be ported and was hoping to not constantly switch environs.

I would love to just stick with pharo or maybe get into GNU/St, but there is no paying work in that so far as I can find ;(

thanks, Jon

On 04/06/2011 12:10 PM, sebastien audier wrote:
Hi Jon, not yet implemented,

I know that Steven Costiou tried to port it with Nicolas, but too many bug which were never fixed...

Do you plan to port it, may be ?

--
Sébastien AUDIER

ObjectFusion S.A.R.L.
Applications web, consulting, design
http://www.objectfusion.fr

Re: iliad on VisualWorks

Janko Mivšek
Hi guys,

Would you send me the code please? Maybe I as a long year VisualWorks
developer can help here a bit.

Best regards
Janko

--
Janko Mivšek
Aida/Web
Smalltalk Web Application Server
http://www.aidaweb.si

Re: iliad on VisualWorks

Nicolas Petton
Thanks a lot Janko :)

Steven has the code, I'll ask him to email you.

Cheers,
Nico

--
Nicolas Petton
http://www.nicolas-petton.fr

Re: iliad on VisualWorks

Steven Costiou
Hmmm yeah, about that...

I do not have access to it right now :/

I won't be back home from Paris until at least maybe three or four weeks and since then, i have no access to my computers where the source code is.

I'm really sorry :/

The iliad version that was "ported" was the 0.8, and i dont think the way we did it will allow to simply upgrade to higher versions.

Maybe it would be best to start again from the latest version, and maybe defining a "good" way to port and maintain a VW version would be usefull.

What do you think ? (i'm saying all that but i have no specific idea...).

-Steven Costiou-

--
Nicolas Petton
http://www.nicolas-petton.fr

Re: iliad on VisualWorks

Janko Mivšek
Hi Steven,

Ok, I'll try from start and in write the how-to procedure for the next
time. Would you be later willing to maintain that VW port? That is,
syncing it with all news from new Iliad versions. A bit boring but not
too difficult and long task ...:)

Best regards
Janko

--
Janko Mivšek
Svetovalec za informatiko
faks: 01 514 22 56
gsm: 031 674 565

Re: iliad on VisualWorks

Steven Costiou
Hi Janko,

sure i'd like to (try to) maintain the port once it is done (i still need to come back on the Pharo one but i still can't do anything, sorry Seb).

Also, here is a list of problems i had while porting the Pharo code to Visual Works 7.6 & 7.7 (assuming you are willing to do it from Pharo and not from GST, but i believe problems will remain identical):

- Packages to create manually to fit as possible to the Pharo package version

- Classes to sort manually into those  packages (through some smalltalk script its easy)

- A lot of classes are ported with a nil super class - most of them have the same superclass though, it is quite easy to script a fix once they are sorted out

- Bloody Squeak dynamic arrays not compatible with VW, while importing the code a few methods (around 10) need their code to be fixed (mostly creation and init of dictionaries)

- Bloddy character " _ " that is supposed to mean " := " but didnt work in VW (around 20 fixes in different methods)

- Some unit test with problems that Nico solved (but can't remember what exactly)

- Many singletons and class initializations not done because of those previous problems, so once each class were correctly defined into the system, i filedout and filedin the whole bundle so everything initialized automatically (simpliest way i found but maybe theres an other one)

Note that the last point solves a lot of unit test failures, and after every unit test successfully ran, we had some other "Iliad-VW related" bugs.

Maybe Nico has other things to add.

Hope this help, if however you do not have time to do it, i plan to work on it (but as i said i don't have time right now).

Good luck =)

-Steven Costiou-

--
Janko Mivšek