image crash when saving a method

Damien Pollet
I have an image that reliably crashes the VM whenever I save a method
in a particular class.

I tried opening a different browser, saving an empty method, restoring
the method from changes… crash, and no PharoDebug.log
It seems I can still modify other classes.

This is the 1.1.1 image (#11414) with a few packages (PetitParser,
Filesystem, Autotest) on John's 5.8b10 VM.

What to do ?

--
Damien Pollet

Re: image crash when saving a method

Stéphane Ducasse

can you file out this class and load it in a 12414 and does it crash?

> I have an image that reliably crashes the VM whenever I save a method
> in a particular class.

Strange.

> I tried opening a different browser, saving an empty method, restoring
> the method from changes… crash, and no PharoDebug.log
> It seems I can still modify other classes.
>
> This is the 1.1.1 image (#11414) with a few packages (PetitParser,
> Filesystem, Autotest) on John's 5.8b10 VM.

does it mean with cog?

> What to do ?
>
> --
> Damien Pollet
> type less, do more [ | ] http://people.untyped.org/damien.pollet

Re: image crash when saving a method

Nicolas Cellier
I'd say peek latest binary COG compiled by Eliot and test again (can't
remember exact address, you'll have to browse...).
Then forward the problem to vm-dev with more details.

Nicolas

2010/9/29 Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]>:

> can you file out this class and load it in a 12414 and does it crash?
>
>> I have an image that reliably crashes the VM whenever I save a method
>> in a particular class.
>
> Strange.
>
>> I tried opening a different browser, saving an empty method, restoring
>> the method from changes… crash, and no PharoDebug.log
>> It seems I can still modify other classes.
>>
>> This is the 1.1.1 image (#11414) with a few packages (PetitParser,
>> Filesystem, Autotest) on John's 5.8b10 VM.
>
> does it mean with cog?
>

>> What to do ?
>>
>> --
>> Damien Pollet
>> type less, do more [ | ] http://people.untyped.org/damien.pollet

Re: image crash when saving a method

Henrik Sperre Johansen
  On 29.09.2010 20:54, Damien Pollet wrote:

> I have an image that reliably crashes the VM whenever I save a method
> in a particular class.
>
> I tried opening a different browser, saving an empty method, restoring
> the method from changes… crash, and no PharoDebug.log
> It seems I can still modify other classes.
>
> This is the 1.1.1 image (#11414) with a few packages (PetitParser,
> Filesystem, Autotest) on John's 5.8b10 VM.
>
> What to do ?
For the last time, Autotest uses Objects as Methods.
Cog VMs until recently crash when you use that.
5.8b10 is one of those.

So if the method you edit would trigger a test, the image will crash.

Re: image crash when saving a method

Damien Pollet
On Wed, Sep 29, 2010 at 21:15, Henrik Sperre Johansen
<[hidden email]> wrote:

>  On 29.09.2010 20:54, Damien Pollet wrote:
>>
>> I have an image that reliably crashes the VM whenever I save a method
>> in a particular class.
>>
>> I tried opening a different browser, saving an empty method, restoring
>> the method from changes… crash, and no PharoDebug.log
>> It seems I can still modify other classes.
>>
>> This is the 1.1.1 image (#11414) with a few packages (PetitParser,
>> Filesystem, Autotest) on John's 5.8b10 VM.
>>
>> What to do ?
>
> For the last time, Autotest uses Objects as Methods.
> Cog VMs until recently crash when you use that.
> 5.8b10 is one of those.
>
> So if the method you edit would trigger a test, the image will crash.

OK, I closed the autotest window, and could save my method (which was
indeed a unit test).

--
Damien Pollet