image lockdown/deployment mode

Hans Baveco

Is there a way to disable the programmer facilities and produce a locked image for an end user? I would be happy if I could at least replace the world menu with a custom menu.

In the developers-list archives I only found an old discussion (May 26 2010 Image Lockdown/Deployment mode), without actual solutions. Maybe these are available now?

TIA

Hans

Re: image lockdown/deployment mode

Vincent Blondeau

Hi Hans,

Not available yet, but soon ;)

I am hired by a company, Lam Research, to make that possible with Pharo. I just began to work on it, but I’ll announce it when I’ll have a first working version.

Our goal being to be able to package and deploy easily desktop applications thanks to a tool that customize the deployed image.

To avoid the right click on the World, a quick solution could be to open a full window in the world and define a right click here. Look openWorldWithSpec method.

Thanks,

Vincent

Re: image lockdown/deployment mode

Stephane Ducasse-3
Check the handling of the world menu item pragma and disable it.

<worldMenu>

BTW vincent I think that we should not go into the direction of
UserPreferences (with checks everywhere on a kind of global facade as
ben did and that we remove) but
more into the design of Settings. Did you read the setting chapter?
In essence every part of the system that requires Setting should be
made particularisable and refers to its own hooks (often
classVariables) and then such hoocks can be access via a
representation by the tools such the setting browser.

We can have a chat about it if you want.

Stef

On Tue, Feb 6, 2018 at 9:11 AM, Vincent BLONDEAU
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Hans,
>

> Not available yet, but soon ;)
>
> I am hired by a company, Lam Research, to make that possible with Pharo. I
> just began to work on it, but I’ll announce it when I’ll have a first
> working version.
>
> Our goal being to be able to package and deploy easily desktop applications
> thanks to a tool that customize the deployed image.
>

> To avoid the right click on the World, a quick solution could be to open a
> full window in the world and define a right click here. Look
> openWorldWithSpec method.
>

> Thanks,
>
> Vincent

Thanks for the suggestions!

Two simple methods on the class side seem to do the trick:

replaceWorldMenu
        "replace the current World menu with an empty one"
        WorldState desktopMenuPragmaKeyword: 'myWorldMenu'

menuCommandOn: aBuilder
        <myWorldMenu>
        ^ self

And to get back the default world menu:
restoreWorldMenu
        "restore the default World menu"
        WorldState defaultWorldMenu
Hans

Check the handling of the world menu item pragma and disable it.

<worldMenu>

BTW vincent I think that we should not go into the direction of UserPreferences (with checks everywhere on a kind of global facade as ben did and that we remove) but more into the design of Settings. Did you read the setting chapter?
In essence every part of the system that requires Setting should be made particularisable and refers to its own hooks (often
classVariables) and then such hoocks can be access via a representation by the tools such the setting browser.

We can have a chat about it if you want.

Stef

On Tue, Feb 6, 2018 at 9:11 AM, Vincent BLONDEAU <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Hans,
>

> Not available yet, but soon ;)
>
> I am hired by a company, Lam Research, to make that possible with
> Pharo. I just began to work on it, but I’ll announce it when I’ll have
> a first working version.
>
> Our goal being to be able to package and deploy easily desktop
> applications thanks to a tool that customize the deployed image.
>

> To avoid the right click on the World, a quick solution could be to
> open a full window in the world and define a right click here. Look
> openWorldWithSpec method.
>

> Thanks,
>
> Vincent

Ah this is good so we will be able to use this customisation point.