image shrinking and cleanup

Peter Uhnak
Hi,

I know that I can cleanup the image with `Smalltalk cleanUp: true except: {} confirming: false.`, however that doesn't seem to help much.
My guess is that there are some objects that the system is permanently unable to GC, however I have no idea how to find them (or even where to begin the search).

Just as a note, the size of the image by itself is not an issue (I have plenty of disk space), however it is severly slowing down image saving.

I remember that there was some issue with image shrinking, but I am not sure what is the state of that.

Oh, and I am using Pharo 5.

Thanks,
Peter

Re: image shrinking and cleanup

Ben Coman
Spur has a known poor compaction algorithm that I understand from past
vm-dev posts is near the top of the list for next action.

For the moment you might try Spur32BitPreen...
* http://forum.world.st/unused-method-removal-vs-Spur-compaction-td4916008.html
* http://forum.world.st/Fwd-Vm-dev-unused-method-removal-vs-Spur-compaction-td4916093.html
* http://forum.world.st/VM-Maker-Cog-eem-328-mcz-td4911122.html

cheers -ben