image/vm mismatch on raspberry pi model 3

image/vm mismatch on raspberry pi model 3

Greg Lewin
Hi,

Having copied a viable pair of image+changes and its associated
sources file to a pi 3,  in the same directory as the directory from
the zip file (from
https://ci.inria.fr/pharo/view/RaspberryPi/job/RaspberryPi-Publish/ws/64.zip)
containing the VM code for a rpi,

on running

./PharoS Pharo6.1

I get the message

"This interpreter (vers. 6505) cannot read image file (vers. 6521)."

How does one ensure a match between VM and image+sources on raspberry pi ?

I have also tried one image pair from an earlier version and get a
similar message.

thanks

Greg

Re: image/vm mismatch on raspberry pi model 3

Greg Lewin
(I want to try https://github.com/pharo-iot/PharoThings on the pi) - I
now see there is another VM on there ... I have just tried it with
better results.  Matching image-VM versions does seem to be a problem
with Smalltalk.

On 28 December 2017 at 02:34, Greg Lewin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>

> Having copied a viable pair of image+changes and its associated
> sources file to a pi 3,  in the same directory as the directory from
> the zip file (from
> https://ci.inria.fr/pharo/view/RaspberryPi/job/RaspberryPi-Publish/ws/64.zip)
> containing the VM code for a rpi,
>
> on running
>
> ./PharoS Pharo6.1
>
> I get the message
>
> "This interpreter (vers. 6505) cannot read image file (vers. 6521)."
>
> How does one ensure a match between VM and image+sources on raspberry pi ?
>
> I have also tried one image pair from an earlier version and get a
> similar message.
>
> thanks
>
> Greg

Re: image/vm mismatch on raspberry pi model 3

Denis Kudriashov
Hi Greg.

(I want to try https://github.com/pharo-iot/PharoThings on the pi) - I
now see there is another VM on there ... I have just tried it with
better results.  Matching image-VM versions does seem to be a problem
with Smalltalk.

So with github instruction you are succeed, right?

Problem that CI job which you found is super outdated. Probably we should remove it.
There was major VM release called Spur VM which produced incompatibility with old image versions. Normally you will not see such problems because major updates are very rare.

On 28 December 2017 at 02:34, Greg Lewin <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi,
>

> Having copied a viable pair of image+changes and its associated
> sources file to a pi 3,  in the same directory as the directory from
> the zip file (from
> https://ci.inria.fr/pharo/view/RaspberryPi/job/RaspberryPi-Publish/ws/64.zip)
> containing the VM code for a rpi,
>
> on running
>
> ./PharoS Pharo6.1
>
> I get the message
>
> "This interpreter (vers. 6505) cannot read image file (vers. 6521)."
>
> How does one ensure a match between VM and image+sources on raspberry pi ?
>
> I have also tried one image pair from an earlier version and get a
> similar message.
>
> thanks
>
> Greg

Re: image/vm mismatch on raspberry pi model 3

Greg Lewin
Hi Denis,

Thank you for replying.

I need to do further checks on dates of images and VMs, I realise I
may have been confused by different date formats (D-M-Y and Y-M-D)
among other things.

the code on https://ci.inria.fr/pharo/view/RaspberryPi/job/RaspberryPi-Publish/ws/
does seem to be in error and perhaps that should be flagged.

I will post again soon,

thanks

Greg