import scope and existing Smalltalk framework integration

import scope and existing Smalltalk framework integration

Les Hazlewood
I view this question as somewhat tangential to the import scope discussion in the other thread, so I'll ask it here.

I just thought of something:  one of the big appeals to me of modern Smalltalk is the ability to program with frameworks like Seaside (it might be the biggest reason at the moment driving my desire to use Smalltalk).

AFAICT, most existing frameworks/libraries in Metacello (like Seaside) don't have any notion of package scope, since they're built for 'traditional' Smalltalk environments.  Does this mean we couldn't load them into Redline?

Or, my hope would be, that it might be possible:  could these things still be loaded, but at the root (nameless) package?

To visualize this, it'd be akin to exporting Seaside's classes to a Maven project where everything just happens to reside in a flat structure directly in the src/main/smalltalk directory (i.e. no package).

Thoughts?

Cheers,

Les

Re: import scope and existing Smalltalk framework integration

James Ladd
You do not have to use packages.
Everything at the root level is not in a package.
This is where something like Seaside would reside.

Have you had a look at STout? Its very neat -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gO2K2fjNxPQ