improving audio/video quality of pharo days recordings

improving audio/video quality of pharo days recordings

Peter Uhnak
Hi,

we had a small discussion on discord about improving the audio/video quality of recordings of past pharo days, where many recordings are really hard to see (or completely unreadable), or the presenter is really hard to understand (especially if they speak quietly or have a strong accent).

Obviously making really good recordings requires several people to focus on it (which is hard on a small meetup), however two things could be imho introduced that could help a lot, with little demand on attendees.

1) clip-on microphone
        * camera's mic will not capture good sound from 10 meters away over a crowd of people making noises
2) VGA recorder (which goes between the presenter's computer and projector)
        * then we would have crisp video and not relying on the quality of the camera

in fact this is very common format where in the final video you see primarily the VGA output, and not camera capture from a distance (only on the presenter), e.g. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XA2WjJbmmoM

Unfortunately I am not attending Pharo Days this year (scheduling conflict), so I can't help on-site, but I could help with post-processing where possible, e.g. converting the raw audio/video/VGA streams into one (as in the linked video) or something.

Peter

Re: improving audio/video quality of pharo days recordings

Stephane Ducasse-3
Thanks for the help. We will see what we can do but these videos are always a problem to the point I was not sure that we will record them.
Last year thibaut did a great job and I will ask him.

On Tue, Apr 25, 2017 at 9:04 PM, Peter Uhnak <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Peter Uhnak wrote
clip-on microphone
Yes! Even a cheap lapel mic like the Sony ECM-CS3 would make a world of difference
Cheers,
Sean

Re: improving audio/video quality of pharo days recordings

Stephane Ducasse-3
Ok we will have a mic now I do not know how to record it.

On Thu, Apr 27, 2017 at 5:18 AM, Sean P. DeNigris <[hidden email]> wrote:
Peter Uhnak wrote
> clip-on microphone

Yes! Even a cheap lapel mic like the Sony ECM-CS3 would make a world of
difference

-----
Cheers,
Sean

Re: improving audio/video quality of pharo days recordings

Ben Coman
I've been reading around this topic, and just picked out some good bits...

The big question is, do you want presenters to be tethered?

But wireless can have problems...

So an alternative can be to use a pocket recorder and mix the audio in later...

Screen capture can be via any software.  Make sure it can also capture audio so everything can be synchronised later.
This looks like an interesting option...

cheers -ben

On Fri, Apr 28, 2017 at 6:58 PM, Stephane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
Ok we will have a mic now I do not know how to record it.

On Thu, Apr 27, 2017 at 5:18 AM, Sean P. DeNigris <[hidden email]> wrote:
Peter Uhnak wrote
> clip-on microphone

Yes! Even a cheap lapel mic like the Sony ECM-CS3 would make a world of
difference

-----
Cheers,
Sean

Re: improving audio/video quality of pharo days recordings

MariamWyatt
Trying to find the best mic for discord to improve your gaming communication experience? This article covers the 10 best mics for discord. If you go back to when the games were new, you will see how the discord started. When there wasn't an internet, you wouldn't have been able to use it. Traditionally, you would have competed against your friends in games through shouting. Well, that was just what people did back then. All of our game-playing habits had changed once the internet came into being. Obviously, now there is no need to have a person in the same place at the same time.

A good microphone will satisfy your every need. Mics that don't meet this specification are useless. Don't keep them in your room. I would prefer the addition of other features, such as noise-canceling, power supply, and wireless capabilities get more info. You must look for a mic with all the features necessary to deliver impressive voice quality. Even though looks are important, sound quality always comes first.