index 33450 is out of bounds

jWarrior
I think I toasted my image, because now I get
'index 33450 is out of bounds' whenever I save
a method.

Is this recoverable? Or should I reload my work into
a clean image, which I just happen to have a copy of?

Thanks.

Donald

Re: index 33450 is out of bounds

Blair McGlashan
Donald

You wrote in message news:98m44o$2vi$[hidden email]...
> I think I toasted my image, because now I get
> 'index 33450 is out of bounds' whenever I save
> a method.

The most likely cause of this is a zombie tool, such as a Debugger, hanging
around and still responding to the event triggered when methods are
added/modified (these events are how the different Dolphin browsers stay in
sync, and how the Debugger reports that a method has become "unbound"). It
is worth trying a panic (the "Scream" icon on the toolbar of the main system
folder window), then save the image and restart. Bear in mind though that
when you do a panic all existing windows will be destroyed, and any unsaved
changes in them will thus be lost.

If that fails stage 2 is to execute: 'View allSubinstances do: [:v | v
destroy]', and again save, exit and restart.

Still not working? Try executing 'Process allInstances' (or if you are a
Dolphin 4.0 Standard or Pro-edition user, open a ProcessMonitor). You should
have 5 processes: Timing, Undertaker, Finalizer, Idler, Main. If there are
extra Main processes, try terminating them. It doesn't matter if you
terminate the wrong one, since the system will automatically start another
(the same goes for the other processes too, with the exception of the Timing
process which I think D3 will not restart). Having got rid of any zombie
processes, try another panic, save, restart.

Still not working? Hit debug. Look to see who is receiving the event and
where it is coming from. You can now, within the debugger, send a
#removeEventsTriggeredFor: message to the event source with the unwanted
target as the second argument. Terminate, and try saving another method.

> Is this recoverable?

Yes. I never give up! Persevere in the Debugger, and you could fix it,
believe me.

>...Or should I reload my work into
> a clean image, which I just happen to have a copy of?

On the other hand it may be less work (if you've tried the above) you might
find it less effort to save your packages, and jump ship. As the image is
still usable for browsing keep it around to make sure you've got everything.

Regards

Blair

Re: index 33450 is out of bounds

jWarrior
Blair,

"Blair McGlashan" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
news:98mb7v$2d66k$[hidden email]...
> Donald
>
> You wrote in message news:98m44o$2vi$[hidden email]...
> > I think I toasted my image, because now I get
> > 'index 33450 is out of bounds' whenever I save
> > a method.
>
> The most likely cause of this is a zombie tool, such as a Debugger,
hanging
> around and still responding to the event triggered when methods are
> added/modified (these events are how the different Dolphin browsers stay
in
> sync, and how the Debugger reports that a method has become "unbound"). It
> is worth trying a panic (the "Scream" icon on the toolbar of the main
system
> folder window), then save the image and restart. Bear in mind though that
> when you do a panic all existing windows will be destroyed, and any
unsaved
> changes in them will thus be lost.

The Scream worked just great, and I have written that little trick down,
so I can make a different mistake next time. I got into this mess because
I put a self halt in the printOn: method of an object I was inspecting in
the
debugger, and it all went bananas. I have to say though that Dolphin has
been VERY stable and I have yet to lose any work except through my
own carelessness.