indexedType: #illegal

Vincent Lesbros-2
What is the meaning of "illegal" indexedType ?
If I file out the package with this, I can't read it again without
replacing the "illegal" by "none"

Smalltalk.UnPackage defineClass: #UneClasse
        superclass: #{Core.Object}
        indexedType: #illegal
        private: false
        instanceVariableNames: ''
        classInstanceVariableNames: ''
        imports: ''
        category: ''

Re: indexedType: #illegal

Dennis smith-4
It means that somehow the "format" of your class got garbled.  The
""format" is a number that encodes
a few things, including the "indexedType".

If you have an old saved "image" you might get the valid format from it
-- but note that it includes other
things other than just the indexedType.

On perhaps simple solution would be to file-it-out, edit the file
(changing #illegal to #none) then filing it back in,
then try a file-out again and see if the indexedType is now #none.

I ran into this a couple of weeks ago and and never thought of the
file-out/file-in idea, so basically managed to get it corrected without
that.

On 2013-05-09 9:16 AM, Vincent Lesbros wrote:

> What is the meaning of "illegal" indexedType ?
> If I file out the package with this, I can't read it again without
> replacing the "illegal" by "none"
>

> Smalltalk.UnPackage defineClass: #UneClasse
> superclass: #{Core.Object}
> indexedType: #illegal
> private: false
> instanceVariableNames: ''
> classInstanceVariableNames: ''
> imports: ''
> category: ''

Dennis Smith                         +1 416.798.7948
Cherniak Software Development Corporation   Fax: +1 416.798.0948
509-2001 Sheppard Avenue East        [hidden email]
Toronto, ON M2J 4Z8              sip:[hidden email]
Canada         http://www.CherniakSoftware.com
Entrance off Yorkland Blvd south of Sheppard Ave east of the DVP

Re: indexedType: #illegal

Vincent Lesbros-2
Thanks,

In fact, in one of the class method, I set the "format" variable that
I wanted to use as a temporary variable,
(but, with the use of letting the browser declare automatically the
temporary variables, I did not see that the "format" variable was
allredy used).

I'll remember, allways declare manually temporary variables.

2013/5/9 Dennis Smith <[hidden email]>:

> It means that somehow the "format" of your class got garbled.  The ""format"
> is a number that encodes
> a few things, including the "indexedType".
>
> If you have an old saved "image" you might get the valid format from it --
> but note that it includes other
> things other than just the indexedType.
>
> On perhaps simple solution would be to file-it-out, edit the file (changing
> #illegal to #none) then filing it back in,
> then try a file-out again and see if the indexedType is now #none.
>
> I ran into this a couple of weeks ago and and never thought of the
> file-out/file-in idea, so basically managed to get it corrected without
> that.
>

> On 2013-05-09 9:16 AM, Vincent Lesbros wrote:
>>
>> What is the meaning of "illegal" indexedType ?
>> If I file out the package with this, I can't read it again without
>> replacing the "illegal" by "none"
>>

>> Smalltalk.UnPackage defineClass: #UneClasse
>>         superclass: #{Core.Object}
>>         indexedType: #illegal
>>         private: false
>>         instanceVariableNames: ''
>>         classInstanceVariableNames: ''
>>         imports: ''
>>         category: ''

> Dennis Smith                                     +1 416.798.7948
> Cherniak Software Development Corporation   Fax: +1 416.798.0948
> 509-2001 Sheppard Avenue East        [hidden email]
> Toronto, ON M2J 4Z8              sip:[hidden email]
> Canada                           http://www.CherniakSoftware.com
> Entrance off Yorkland Blvd south of Sheppard Ave east of the DVP

Re: indexedType: #illegal

mkobetic
I find that syntax highlighting helps me a lot with these types of errors (assuming you're coloring different variable types differently). Even if you happen to override a variable with a temp variable, it will be highlighted differently.