init and bleeding edge

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
What's the easiest way to load the latest Amber (i.e. instead of the stable version) from github into my project - can it be done with "amber init"? Thanks!
Cheers,
Sean

Re: init and bleeding edge

Hannes Hirzel
Yes, see the
  amber init
thread of last Monday

--Hannes

On 4/17/14, Sean P. DeNigris <[hidden email]> wrote:

> What's the easiest way to load the latest Amber (i.e. instead of the stable
> version) from github into my project - can it be done with "amber init"?
> Thanks!
>

> -----
> Cheers,
> Sean

Re: init and bleeding edge

philippeback
npm -g install amber-cli
mkdir myproject
cd myproject
amber init
<answer questions, put a namespace in or else>
amber serve

Make sure popups are allowed to localhost or Helios will not show.

​HTH

Re: init and bleeding edge

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
H. Hirzel wrote
Yes, see the
  amber init
thread of last Monday
I searched for "init" and found two threads active on Monday, depending on whether you meant 4/14 or 4/7:
http://forum.world.st/amber-kickstart-td4752935.html
http://forum.world.st/amber-init-working-td4754452.html

I read all the way through both, but didn't see any instructions on how to load the last commit on the master branch instead of the default tagged release. What am I missing?
Cheers,
Sean

Re: init and bleeding edge

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
philippeback wrote
...amber init...
Yes, but this gets me a tagged Amber release. I'm asking how to get the current master branch.
Cheers,
Sean

Re: init and bleeding edge

sebastianconcept

On Apr 17, 2014, at 3:24 PM, Sean P. DeNigris <[hidden email]> wrote:

What's the easiest way to load the latest Amber (i.e. instead of the stable
version) from github into my project - can it be done with "amber init"?
Thanks!

AFAIK, no.

But you can fork and clone

Re: init and bleeding edge

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Sean P. DeNigris wrote
can it be done with "amber init"? Thanks!
I guess I could just:
cd bower_components
rm -rf amber
git clone https://github.com/amber-smalltalk/amber.git

Not too hard and that would have the advantage of continuous control over amber updates...
Cheers,
Sean

Re: init and bleeding edge

Herby Vojčík

"Sean P. DeNigris" <[hidden email]>napísal/a:

Sean P. DeNigris wrote
> can it be done with "amber init"? Thanks!

I guess I could just:
cd bower_components
rm -rf amber
git clone https://github.com/amber-smalltalk/amber.git

The correct way is not monkey pstching bower's contents by hand, but use bower;

```sh
# remove existing amber dependency
bower uninstall amber --save
# install bleeding edge dependency
bower install git://github.com/amber-smalltalk/amber.git#master --save
```

Re: init and bleeding edge

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Herby Vojčík wrote
The correct way is not monkey pstching bower's contents by hand, but use bower;
And Bob's your uncle :)

Out of curiosity, what's the advantage of doing it the correct way?
Cheers,
Sean

Re: init and bleeding edge

Herby Vojčík

Sean P. DeNigris wrote:
> Herby Vojčík wrote
>> The correct way is not monkey pstching bower's contents by hand, but use
>> bower;
>
> And Bob's your uncle :)

???

> Out of curiosity, what's the advantage of doing it the correct way?

Are you serious by asking that question?

Re: init and bleeding edge

Nicolas Petton

Herby, I think that was an idiomatic sentence :)

Sean, the reason is that you tell bower which version you want instead of manually updating like you did. You may not see any difference now but later use of bowercin your project might lead to surprises ;)

Nico

On Apr 17, 2014 11:57 PM, "Herby Vojčík" <[hidden email]> wrote:

Sean P. DeNigris wrote:
Herby Vojčík wrote
The correct way is not monkey pstching bower's contents by hand, but use
bower;

And Bob's your uncle :)

???

Out of curiosity, what's the advantage of doing it the correct way?

Are you serious by asking that question?

Re: init and bleeding edge

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Nicolas Petton wrote
Herby, I think that was an idiomatic sentence :)
ha ha, yes. Sorry. It means something like "et voilà" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob's_your_uncle

Nicolas Petton wrote
later use of bowerc in your project might lead to surprises ;)
Ah yes, as I have no experience with js tools (only used js in Lively Kernel), I was wondering when that "later use" might come into play. Is the idea that I might want to change my project to depend on a different version of Amber, and that bower could manage any dependency changes that might cause?

I haven't really thought through the workflow. Do you version control the whole project directory together, including all the dependencies? So I could clone my project update the Amber version via bower, and then push the whole thing back to origin?
Cheers,
Sean

Re: init and bleeding edge

sebastianconcept
this is why we need regular hangouts peeps.

We need to share a sense of good practices and possibilities

On Apr 17, 2014, at 7:33 PM, Sean P. DeNigris <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Nicolas Petton wrote
>> Herby, I think that was an idiomatic sentence :)
>
> ha ha, yes. Sorry. It means something like "et voilà"
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob's_your_uncle
>

> Nicolas Petton wrote
>> later use of bowerc in your project might lead to surprises ;)
>
> Ah yes, as I have no experience with js tools (only used js in Lively
> Kernel), I was wondering when that "later use" might come into play. Is the
> idea that I might want to change my project to depend on a different version
> of Amber, and that bower could manage any dependency changes that might
> cause?
>
> I haven't really thought through the workflow. Do you version control the
> whole project directory together, including all the dependencies? So I could
> clone my project update the Amber version via bower, and then push the whole
> thing back to origin?
>

> -----
> Cheers,
> Sean

Re: init and bleeding edge

Herby Vojčík

Sean P. DeNigris wrote:

> Nicolas Petton wrote
>> Herby, I think that was an idiomatic sentence :)
>
> ha ha, yes. Sorry. It means something like "et voilà"
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob's_your_uncle
>

> Nicolas Petton wrote
>> later use of bowerc in your project might lead to surprises ;)
>
> Ah yes, as I have no experience with js tools (only used js in Lively
> Kernel), I was wondering when that "later use" might come into play. Is the
> idea that I might want to change my project to depend on a different version
> of Amber, and that bower could manage any dependency changes that might
> cause?

Yes, this is precisely what it does. bower.json list the dependencies,
bower install / bower update resolves them (including the dependencies
of the dependencies etc., warning if there are unresolvable constraints
on versions). Those statement I posted changed the bower.json (--save),
thus saved your preference to use the master branch of git itself.

Not to mention one of the easiest way to deploy: git clone ... && bower
install.

> I haven't really thought through the workflow. Do you version control the
> whole project directory together, including all the dependencies? So I could

Of course not! That's why those package managers are there for. Look
into .gitignore: dependencies are out of VCS; only their list in .json
files go in. IOW, you should look at bower_components (and node_modules)
as generated; so changing their contents by hand is same as editing a
generated file: very brittle, when it's re-generated, your changes are
gone; and you're off-sync with master data.

> -----
> Cheers,
> Sean
> --

Herby

Re: init and bleeding edge

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Herby Vojčík wrote
That's why those package managers are there for. Look
into .gitignore: dependencies are out of VCS; only their list in .json
files go in
Aha! Now I understand completely. Duh - that's why I have to do "npm install" and "bower install" after git clone! Thank you for all the support :)

- s
Cheers,
Sean