inserting special character 'vector angle' symbol

inserting special character 'vector angle' symbol

Ben Coman
I need to display electrical phasors (which are complex numbers in polar
notation). This requires a special 'vector angle' symbol as shown
http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/vol_2/chpt_2/5.html.

What are my options for displaying such a symbol?

My searching only turned up 'Character characterTable'
I wondered if I can replace one of those bitmap characters with my own.

I also found an online character set converter
http://kanjidict.stc.cx/recode.php
which converted from the character from ISO-8859-1 to UTF-8 "∠"
but that result doesn't mean a lot to me.

Hints would be greatly appreciated.

cheers -ben

Re: inserting special character 'vector angle' symbol

Paul DeBruicker
Do you have a font on your computer or better yet in Pharo that can
display it?  Where do you want to display it (web, image, etc) ?

On 12/09/2012 01:04 AM, Ben Coman wrote:

> I need to display electrical phasors (which are complex numbers in polar
> notation). This requires a special 'vector angle' symbol as shown
> http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/vol_2/chpt_2/5.html.
>
> What are my options for displaying such a symbol?
>
> ∠
>

> My searching only turned up 'Character characterTable'
> I wondered if I can replace one of those bitmap characters with my own.
>
> I also found an online character set converter
> http://kanjidict.stc.cx/recode.php
> which converted from the character from ISO-8859-1 to UTF-8 "∠"
> but that result doesn't mean a lot to me.
>
> Hints would be greatly appreciated.
>
> cheers -ben

Re: inserting special character 'vector angle' symbol

Helene Bilbo
Ben Coman wrote
What are my options for displaying such a symbol?

Check the "Use FreeType..." Checkbox in the Settings Browser, then select a Font that includes this Symbol. On my Mac i just used Menlo that comes with the System. See attached screenshot:

Re: inserting special character 'vector angle' symbol

Ben Coman
Paul,

It is for displaying from in-image for a desktop GUI.  I assumed I did
have a capable font installed (I could copy the ANGLE character from a
web page into OpenOffice) but I could determine which font nor see the
character in any of the many font tables I reviewed.   Most fonts were
missing the U+2220 character.

Helene,

It helped a lot seeing the U+2220 code in your screen snapshot.  At
least I could confirm that the fonts I was looking at not contain it
(the Menlo font is not on Windows 7).  Eventually google brought me to
[1] & [2] from which choosing the system font as DejaVu allowed the
following script to display the ANGLE character.
----
char := Character value: 16r2220.
wideString := String with: char.
wideString inspect.
----
[1] http://www.fileformat.info/info/unicode/char/2220/index.htm
[2] http://www.fileformat.info/info/unicode/char/2220/fontsupport.htm

thanks for your time,
cheers -ben

Helene Bilbo wrote:

> Ben Coman wrote
>
>> What are my options for displaying such a symbol?
>>
>> ∠
>>

> Check the "Use FreeType..." Checkbox in the Settings Browser, then select a
> Font that includes this Symbol. On my Mac i just used Menlo that comes with
> the System. See attached screenshot:
>
> <http://forum.world.st/file/n4658623/angle.png>

Re: inserting special character 'vector angle' symbol

Ben Coman
Is there a way to assign the ANGLE character to a certain keyboard
shortcut for the whole system ?
For example pressing   CTRL + <   to produce a ∠ in the Workspace.

cheers -ben