inst var name lenght in 3.5.0?

GLASS mailing list
Hi -

I am having trouble making an inst var longer than 64 characters in GS 3.5.0.  IS there a setting I need to change? I see in the programming guide it should be possible to make them 1024 characters.

The 65 character inst var name:
abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyzABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ1234567890123

doesn't work but the 64 character version:

abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyzABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ123456789012

does.

Thanks

Paul

Re: inst var name lenght in 3.5.0?

GLASS mailing list
Paul DeBruicker wrote
> Hi -
>
> I am having trouble making an inst var longer than 64 characters in GS
> 3.5.0.  IS there a setting I need to change? I see in the programming
> guide it should be possible to make them 1024 characters.

Thanks for reporting this, Paul. Verified in both 3.5.0 and the newly
released 3.5.1. Did previous versions work for you?
I've filed bug #48481 for it.

How much of a problem does this create for you?

Sent from: http://forum.world.st/GLASS-f1460844.html

Re: inst var name lenght in 3.5.0?

GLASS mailing list
Richard Sargent wrote

> Paul DeBruicker wrote
>> Hi -
>>
>> I am having trouble making an inst var longer than 64 characters in GS
>> 3.5.0.  IS there a setting I need to change? I see in the programming
>> guide it should be possible to make them 1024 characters.
>
> Thanks for reporting this, Paul. Verified in both 3.5.0 and the newly
> released 3.5.1. Did previous versions work for you?
> I've filed bug #48481 for it.

The limit of 64 characters has been in the server code since the 32-bit
product. (!)
Symbols are allowed to be as large as 1024 characters, so this is probably
why the documentation says variable names can be that long.

The 64 character limitation does seem unnecessary.