install Amber in Ubuntu (error initializing project)

12

install Amber in Ubuntu (error initializing project)

Genosse
Hi!
Now I install Amber in Ubuntu.
This command "amber init" causes an error: "/usr/bin/env: node: No such file or directory" (file "env" exists)
Apparently the problem in paths? Does anyone has a quick answer?

Re: install Amber in Ubuntu (error initializing project)

Nicolas Petton
Hi!

You can have a look at this page:
http://docs.amber-lang.net/overview/installing.html

It explains how to get Amber running on Ubuntu.

HTH,
Nico

--
Nicolas Petton
http://nicolas-petton.fr

Re: install Amber in Ubuntu (error initializing project)

philippeback
You miss node.js which is a prerequisite.​

As Nicolas mentioned, the process is described in the link.

It works on my Ubuntu box, so should be working on yours without hassle.

HTH
Phil

Re: install Amber in Ubuntu (error initializing project)

Herby Vojčík
It's probably ubuntu's specialty, but it is pretty strange to have npm but not to have node... in all other system afaik their either install in one package, or npm have node as public prerequisite. So I often presume "you have npm, you have everything you need".

[hidden email] wrote:

> You miss node.js which is a prerequisite.​
>
> http://node.js
>
> As Nicolas mentioned, the process is described in the link.
>
> It works on my Ubuntu box, so should be working on yours without hassle.
>
> HTH
> Phil

Re: install Amber in Ubuntu (error initializing project)

Siemen Baader
Node is there, but it is called nodejs. I made a symlink in /usr/bin (or usr/local/bin) named node.

hth

-- Siemen

пятница, 9 мая 2014 г., 13:04:59 UTC+4 пользователь [hidden email] написал:
You miss node.js which is a prerequisite.​

Well, nodejs is ok (v0.10.28)...

I installed the "bower_components" in the project folder. (described herein http://docs.amber-lang.net/overview/installing.html).
But now command "amber init" gives an error:

********/amber_raspil$ amber init --force
Welcome to Amber version 0.12.4 (NodeJS 0.10.28).
Running "init:/usr/local/lib/node_modules/amber-cli/node_modules/grunt-init-amber" (init) task
This task will create one or more files in the current directory, based on the
environment and the answers to a few questions. Note that answering "?" to any
question will show question-specific help and answering "none" to most questions
will leave its value blank.

Warning: Existing files may be overwritten! Use --force to continue.

Aborted due to warnings.
grunt-init exec error:
{ [Error: Command failed: ] killed: false, code: 6, signal: null }

Re: install Amber in Ubuntu (error initializing project)

Herby Vojčík
amber init is for empty directory

> пятница, 9 мая 2014 г., 13:04:59 UTC+4 пользователь
> [hidden email] написал:
>
>     You miss node.js which is a prerequisite.​
>

> Well, nodejs is ok (v0.10.28)...
>
> I installed the "bower_components" in the project folder. (described
> herein http://docs.amber-lang.net/overview/installing.html).
> But now command "amber init" gives an error:
>
> ********/amber_raspil$ amber init --force
> Welcome to Amber version 0.12.4 (NodeJS 0.10.28).
> Running
> "init:/usr/local/lib/node_modules/amber-cli/node_modules/grunt-init-amber"
> (init) task
> This task will create one or more files in the current directory,
> based on the
> environment and the answers to a few questions. Note that answering
> "?" to any
> question will show question-specific help and answering "none" to most
> questions
> will leave its value blank.
>
> Warning: Existing files may be overwritten! Use --force to continue.

> Aborted due to warnings.
> grunt-init exec error:
> { [Error: Command failed: ] killed: false, code: 6, signal: null }

Re: install Amber in Ubuntu (error initializing project)

Siemen Baader

On 09 May 2014, at 13:03, Александр Р <[hidden email]> wrote:

Well, nodejs is ok (v0.10.28)...

but is it called node ord nodejs? If it is called nodejs, the amber scirpts that look for 'node'  do not find it, and you have to rename or symink it from /usr/local/bin

:)

Siemen

[...]

Sorry, tldr...

You seem to be running node fine (though there is a bug with some ubuntu distros that install node.js as nodejs; not node)

-- Siemen

On 09 May 2014, at 13:04, Herby Vojčík <[hidden email]> wrote:

> amber init is for empty directory
>>

>> пятница, 9 мая 2014 г., 13:04:59 UTC+4 пользователь [hidden email] написал:
>>
>>    You miss node.js which is a prerequisite.​
>>

>> Well, nodejs is ok (v0.10.28)...
>>
>> I installed the "bower_components" in the project folder. (described herein http://docs.amber-lang.net/overview/installing.html).
>> But now command "amber init" gives an error:
>>
>> ********/amber_raspil$ amber init --force
>> Welcome to Amber version 0.12.4 (NodeJS 0.10.28).
>> Running "init:/usr/local/lib/node_modules/amber-cli/node_modules/grunt-init-amber" (init) task
>> This task will create one or more files in the current directory, based on the
>> environment and the answers to a few questions. Note that answering "?" to any
>> question will show question-specific help and answering "none" to most questions
>> will leave its value blank.
>>
>> Warning: Existing files may be overwritten! Use --force to continue.
>

>> Aborted due to warnings.
>> grunt-init exec error:
>> { [Error: Command failed: ] killed: false, code: 6, signal: null }

Re: install Amber in Ubuntu (error initializing project)

Genosse
Black magic! ;)
I deleted the directory "bower_components" of the project directory.
Master installation run! All ok!

But why be good if it did not work before?
All that I changed, so it reinstalled the nodejs as described herein (http://docs.amber-lang.net/overview/installing.html), nothing more...  (but the  nodejs worked fine before)

However, the installation Amber is not trivial....
Thank you for your help!

Александр Р wrote:

> *Black magic! ;)*
> I deleted the directory "bower_components" of the project directory.
> Master installation run! All ok!
>
> But why be good if it did not work before?
> All that I changed, so it reinstalled the nodejs as described herein
> (http://docs.amber-lang.net/overview/installing.html), nothing more...
> (but the nodejs worked fine before)
>
> However, the installation Amber is not trivial....
> Thank you for your help!

It is!

Install npm & node (this is OS stuff), then just npm install -g amber-cli, make empty directory, run amber init in it.

Re: install Amber in Ubuntu (error initializing project)

Genosse
Well.., it would be good to distribute the VM is fully installed Amber, for a quick start. I think so... ))

Александр Р wrote:
> Well.., it would be good to distribute the VM is fully installed
> Amber, for a quick start. I think so... ))

Too hard. amber cli tool is global, project is local.

IOW, there is nothing like 'amber to install'. There is only amber projects which are independent and share amber tooling.

Re: install Amber in Ubuntu (error initializing project)

Hannes Hirzel
On 5/9/14, Александр Р <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Well.., it would be good to distribute the VM is fully installed Amber, for
>
> a quick start. I think so... ))

The 'VM' used is either in node or the JavaScript interpreter in the
browser.....

--Hannes

Re: install Amber in Ubuntu (error initializing project)

Hannes Hirzel
On 5/9/14, Александр Р <[hidden email]> wrote:
> However, the installation Amber is not trivial....
> Thank you for your help!

What in particular did you find difficult. Are there any suggestions
how to update the instructions?

--Hannes

пятница, 9 мая 2014 г., 18:37:02 UTC+4 пользователь Hannes написал:
On 5/9/14, Александр Р <<a href="javascript:" target="_blank" gdf-obfuscated-mailto="eRgbLlqn8XAJ" onmousedown="this.href='javascript:';return true;" onclick="this.href='javascript:';return true;">gen...@...> wrote:

What in particular did you find difficult. Are there any suggestions
how to update the instructions?

--Hannes

Well..,
I think a lot of external dependencies ... Amber -> nodejs & bower, Bower -> nodejs & git......

I have not used the nodejs before. I do not know what a bower.  I do not understand why it is here that need  the git. I want to see how easy to use the program at the front-end js.....

I think that for many neophytes will not care what version of software  (nodejs, bower, git) used on this...  I think that would be good to release versions of the program, which should be laid down in a single click (or virtual machine with a fully configured project "ForExample")
 I think so... ;)

Re: install Amber in Ubuntu (error initializing project)

Genosse
(or virtual machine with a fully configured project "ForExample")

Seriously.., I find it easier to start a few VM for its various projects. Change the mood of the project "ForExample". But I find it difficult to understand the tricky dependencies... Especially that all this software   (nodejs, bower, git)  is not needed for the final result. ;))

Re: install Amber in Ubuntu (error initializing project)

Hannes Hirzel
On 5/9/14, Александр Р <[hidden email]> wrote:
> But I find it difficult to
> understand the tricky dependencies... Especially that all this software
> (nodejs, bower, git)  is not needed for the final result. ;))

node is the only dependency.

Then to use amber you need to do

# Install the CLI tools
sudo npm install -g amber-cli

# Create the project structure
mkdir example-project
cd example-project/

# Create and initialixe a new Amber project
amber init

(copied from http://docs.amber-lang.net/getting-started.html)

I agree that node might not be so easy to install on Ubuntu if you do
not want the version which comes from the Ubuntu repo

HTH

--Hannes

Re: install Amber in Ubuntu (error initializing project)

Darius Clarke
I think Александр might be suggesting something like Aida where a Smalltalk image serves up Amber client with just a copy and run. This introduces one to Amber w/o Amber generating the server app. The developer's server app can be created in Smalltalk alone.

I do see the value of leveraging node for today's production web servers. Perhaps that value is not made more clear on the website.

- Darius

On Fri, May 9, 2014 at 8:49 AM, Александр Р <[hidden email]> wrote:
(or virtual machine with a fully configured project "ForExample")

Seriously.., I find it easier to start a few VM for its various projects. Change the mood of the project "ForExample". But I find it difficult to understand the tricky dependencies... Especially that all this software   (nodejs, bower, git)  is not needed for the final result. ;))

Re: install Amber in Ubuntu (error initializing project)

Herby Vojčík

"H. Hirzel" <[hidden email]>napísal/a:

On 5/9/14, Александр Р <[hidden email]> wrote:
> But I find it difficult to
> understand the tricky dependencies... Especially that all this software
> (nodejs, bower, git)  is not needed for the final result. ;))

node is the only dependency.

Well, sometimes npm and node are installed sepsrately, so count in npm. And bower, which gets installed and used behind the scenes, needs working git.

So list of dependencies is node, npm and git.

OTOH, this list should not be that surptising for a development...