install system fonts on linux

jhancock
In pharo 1.1, in the settings manager, I can "Update fonts from system"
and have access to all/most ubuntu fonts.  This works on Ubuntu 10.04
and Mint 10 (ubuntu 10.10).  With pharo 1.2.1 and 1.3, I get nothing.
I'm left with DejuVu and Accuny.  Does anyone know a solution for this?

thanks, Jon

Re: install system fonts on linux

Igor Stasenko
On 19 July 2011 18:26, Jon Hancock <[hidden email]> wrote:
> In pharo 1.1, in the settings manager, I can "Update fonts from system" and
> have access to all/most ubuntu fonts.  This works on Ubuntu 10.04 and Mint
> 10 (ubuntu 10.10).  With pharo 1.2.1 and 1.3, I get nothing.  I'm left with
> DejuVu and Accuny.  Does anyone know a solution for this?

Please try using vms built on hudson:
https://pharo-ic.lille.inria.fr/hudson/job/Stack%20VM%20Unix/
or
https://pharo-ic.lille.inria.fr/hudson/job/Cog%20Unix/

because if VM doesn't have freetype plugin, an image will just ignore
all requests to update from system.

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Re: install system fonts on linux

jhancock
I did as suggested and downloaded latest cog.zip from
https://pharo-ic.lille.inria.fr/hudson/job/Cog%20Unix/
I stubbled about the PharoOneClick1.3.app directory structure.  This I
also retrieved from Hudson build:
https://pharo-ic.lille.inria.fr/hudson/view/Pharo/job/Pharo%201.3/lastSuccessfulBuild/artifact/PharoOneClick1.3.zip.

I'm assuming this is cog based.  But how do I tell which VM it is as I
see the executable in all one-click download scripts such as
PharoOneClick1.3.sh referencing squeak or squeakvm, yet the cog.zip file
names the executable 'CogVM'??

So I see under Contents/Linux a few .so files that are also in the
cog.zip I download.  I see that libFT2Plugin.so is in cog.zip but not in
PharoOneClick1.3.app/Contents/Linux.  So I try copying this over in the
hopes that the FT in the file name alludes to FreeType.  But no luck.

Any more ideas?  Some pointers on docs or discussion thread on how
plugins work, how to tell which vm is in use, why the FreeType plugin is
no longer included in the one-click builds, etc may be useful.

thanks, Jon

On 20 July 2011 02:28, Jon Hancock <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I did as suggested and downloaded latest cog.zip from
> https://pharo-ic.lille.inria.fr/hudson/job/Cog%20Unix/
> I stubbled about the PharoOneClick1.3.app directory structure.  This I also
> retrieved from Hudson build:
> https://pharo-ic.lille.inria.fr/hudson/view/Pharo/job/Pharo%201.3/lastSuccessfulBuild/artifact/PharoOneClick1.3.zip.
> I'm assuming this is cog based.  But how do I tell which VM it is as I see
> the executable in all one-click download scripts such as PharoOneClick1.3.sh
> referencing squeak or squeakvm, yet the cog.zip file names the executable
> 'CogVM'??

yes.
from command line type:

./CogVM <path to your image>

while running image you could evaluate:
Smalltalk vmVersion
to get the version information about VM you running.

> So I see under Contents/Linux a few .so files that are also in the cog.zip I
> download.  I see that libFT2Plugin.so is in cog.zip but not in
> PharoOneClick1.3.app/Contents/Linux.  So I try copying this over in the
> hopes that the FT in the file name alludes to FreeType.  But no luck.

one-click bundles contains pretty old VMs. And the plugin compiled for
CogVM won't work with them
because the version of VM interface (interpreterProxy) is different.

We're not building a one-click bundles with updated VM yet. But we
plan to do it in future.

> Any more ideas?  Some pointers on docs or discussion thread on how plugins
> work, how to tell which vm is in use, why the FreeType plugin is no longer
> included in the one-click builds, etc may be useful.

Freetype plugin comes as a third-party plugin. And not all VM
maintainers are not including it by default.
With Hudson i made sure it is built and included into .zips, so people
could again use it.

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.