installation of packages on 6.1

Hans Baveco

Trying to install Territorial the installation got stuck on the installation of Roassal2 1.35, with error “LGitObjectNotInitialized”

Transcript says:

“Project: Roassal2 1.35

I got an error while cloning: There was an authentication error while trying to execute the operation: error authenticating: failed connecting agent.

This happens usually because you didn't provide a valid set of credentials.

You may fix this problem in different ways:

1. adding your keys to ssh-agent, executing ssh-add ~/.ssh/id_rsa in your command line.

2. adding your keys in settings (open settings browser search for "Use custom SSH keys" and

add your public and private keys).

3. using HTTPS instead SSH (Just use an url in the form HTTPS://etc.git). I will try to clone the HTTPS variant.”

I have encountered this several times before, for different packages (on windows 7, pharo 6.1 (Image: Pharo6.0 [Latest update: #60540])) and have no idea how to deal with this.

Any suggestions?

Hans

PharoDebug.log (20K) Download Attachment

Re: installation of packages on 6.1

hernanmd
Hi Hans,

How did you tried?
Using the following expression I got a different error:

Gofer it
  smalltalkhubUser: ’hernan’ project: ’Territorial’;
  configuration;
  loadBleedingEdge.

LGit_GIT_ERROR: Failed to connect to github.com: Invalid argument.

> Trying to install Territorial the installation got stuck on the installation
> of Roassal2 1.35, with error “LGitObjectNotInitialized”
>

> Transcript says:
>

> “Project: Roassal2 1.35
>
> I got an error while cloning: There was an authentication error while trying
> to execute the operation: error authenticating: failed connecting agent.
>
> This happens usually because you didn't provide a valid set of credentials.
>
> You may fix this problem in different ways:
>

> 1. adding your keys to ssh-agent, executing ssh-add ~/.ssh/id_rsa in your
> command line.
>
> 2. adding your keys in settings (open settings browser search for "Use
> custom SSH keys" and
>
> add your public and private keys).
>
> 3. using HTTPS instead SSH (Just use an url in the form HTTPS://etc.git). I
> will try to clone the HTTPS variant.”
>

> I have encountered this several times before, for different packages (on
> windows 7, pharo 6.1 (Image: Pharo6.0 [Latest update: #60540])) and have no
> idea how to deal with this.
>

> Any suggestions?
>

> Hans

Re: installation of packages on 6.1

Hans Baveco

I used:

Metacello new
                smalltalkhubUser: 'hernan' project: 'Territorial';
                configuration: 'Territorial';
                version: #'bleedingEdge';
                load

I don't think the problem is related to Territorial; same thing happened when trying to load Roassal2 directly or some other packages
Hans

Using the following expression I got a different error:

Gofer it
  smalltalkhubUser: ’hernan’ project: ’Territorial’;
  configuration;
  loadBleedingEdge.

LGit_GIT_ERROR: Failed to connect to github.com: Invalid argument.

> Trying to install Territorial the installation got stuck on the
> installation of Roassal2 1.35, with error “LGitObjectNotInitialized”
>

> Transcript says:
>

> “Project: Roassal2 1.35
>
> I got an error while cloning: There was an authentication error while
> trying to execute the operation: error authenticating: failed connecting agent.
>
> This happens usually because you didn't provide a valid set of credentials.
>
> You may fix this problem in different ways:
>

> 1. adding your keys to ssh-agent, executing ssh-add ~/.ssh/id_rsa in
> your command line.
>
> 2. adding your keys in settings (open settings browser search for "Use
> custom SSH keys" and
>
> add your public and private keys).
>
> 3. using HTTPS instead SSH (Just use an url in the form
> HTTPS://etc.git). I will try to clone the HTTPS variant.”
>

> I have encountered this several times before, for different packages
> (on windows 7, pharo 6.1 (Image: Pharo6.0 [Latest update: #60540]))
> and have no idea how to deal with this.
>

> Any suggestions?
>

> Hans

Re: installation of packages on 6.1

Stephane Ducasse-3
Hi hans

did you succeed to download any other github stored projects?

Stef

On Thu, Apr 5, 2018 at 6:02 PM, Baveco, Hans <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Trying to install Territorial the installation got stuck on the installation
> of Roassal2 1.35, with error “LGitObjectNotInitialized”
>

> Transcript says:
>

> “Project: Roassal2 1.35
>
> I got an error while cloning: There was an authentication error while trying
> to execute the operation: error authenticating: failed connecting agent.
>
> This happens usually because you didn't provide a valid set of credentials.
>
> You may fix this problem in different ways:
>

> 1. adding your keys to ssh-agent, executing ssh-add ~/.ssh/id_rsa in your
> command line.
>
> 2. adding your keys in settings (open settings browser search for "Use
> custom SSH keys" and
>
> add your public and private keys).
>
> 3. using HTTPS instead SSH (Just use an url in the form HTTPS://etc.git). I
> will try to clone the HTTPS variant.”
>

> I have encountered this several times before, for different packages (on
> windows 7, pharo 6.1 (Image: Pharo6.0 [Latest update: #60540])) and have no
> idea how to deal with this.
>

> Any suggestions?
>

> Hans

Re: installation of packages on 6.1

Hans Baveco
Hi Stef,

No, for example loading GToolkit with

Metacello new
   baseline: 'GToolkit';
   repository: 'github://feenkcom/gtoolkit/src';
   load.

Immediately results in an "LGit_GIT_ERROR: failed to get server certificate: The handle is in the wrong state for the requested operation"

Hans

did you succeed to download any other github stored projects?

Stef

On Thu, Apr 5, 2018 at 6:02 PM, Baveco, Hans <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Trying to install Territorial the installation got stuck on the
> installation of Roassal2 1.35, with error “LGitObjectNotInitialized”
>

> Transcript says:
>

> “Project: Roassal2 1.35
>
> I got an error while cloning: There was an authentication error while
> trying to execute the operation: error authenticating: failed connecting agent.
>
> This happens usually because you didn't provide a valid set of credentials.
>
> You may fix this problem in different ways:
>

> 1. adding your keys to ssh-agent, executing ssh-add ~/.ssh/id_rsa in
> your command line.
>
> 2. adding your keys in settings (open settings browser search for "Use
> custom SSH keys" and
>
> add your public and private keys).
>
> 3. using HTTPS instead SSH (Just use an url in the form
> HTTPS://etc.git). I will try to clone the HTTPS variant.”
>

> I have encountered this several times before, for different packages
> (on windows 7, pharo 6.1 (Image: Pharo6.0 [Latest update: #60540]))
> and have no idea how to deal with this.
>

> Any suggestions?
>

> Hans

Re: installation of packages on 6.1

Ben Coman

On 6 April 2018 at 00:02, Baveco, Hans <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

On Windows you need to use option 2.  World Menu > Settings > etc...

cheers -ben

Re: installation of packages on 6.1

Hans Baveco

Thanks Ben!

I created a github account, installed git and git bash, created SSH keys, added keys to my github account, and changed the settings in Pharo to use these keys, and finally was able to install the packages I wanted to try. (roassal2 still not installing though).

Question remains, is this really the only way to get these packages that live on github into the image? I had no plans to work with git/github, but was now forced to spent quite some time on it....

Cheers,

Hans

cheers -ben

Re: installation of packages on 6.1

Herby Vojčík
No, it is possible to install them without github account.

You need to set protocol to https:

  Iceberg enableMetacelloIntegration: true; remoteTypeSelector: #httpsUrl.

Herby

Baveco, Hans wrote:

> Thanks Ben!
>
> I created a github account, installed git and git bash, created SSH
> keys, added keys to my github account, and changed the settings in
> Pharo to use these keys, and finally was able to install the packages
> I wanted to try. (roassal2 still not installing though).
>
> Question remains, is this really the only way to get these packages
> that live on github into the image? I had no plans to work with
> git/github, but was now forced to spent quite some time on it....
>
> Cheers,
>
> Hans

wur.nl

> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     Trying to install Territorial the installation got stuck on the
>     installation of Roassal2 1.35, with error “LGitObjectNotInitialized”
>
>     Transcript says:
>
>     “Project: Roassal2 1.35
>
>     I got an error while cloning: There was an authentication error
>     while trying to execute the operation: error authenticating:
>     failed connecting agent.
>
>     This happens usually because you didn't provide a valid set of
>     credentials.
>
>     You may fix this problem in different ways:
>
>     1. adding your keys to ssh-agent, executing ssh-add ~/.ssh/id_rsa
>     in your command line.
>
>     2. adding your keys in settings (open settings browser search for
>     "Use custom SSH keys" and
>
>     add your public and private keys).
>
>     3. using HTTPS instead SSH (Just use an url in the form
>     HTTPS://etc.git). I will try to clone the HTTPS variant.”
>
>     I have encountered this several t
imes before, for different

>     packages (on windows 7, pharo 6.1 (Image: Pharo6.0 [Latest update:
>     #60540])) and have no idea how to deal with this.
>
>     Any suggestions?
>
>     Hans
>
> On Windows you need to use option 2. World Menu > Settings > etc...
>
> cheers -ben

Re: installation of packages on 6.1

Stephane Ducasse-3
Hans

just a meta remark (I personally find the API of git quite terrible -
In addition I do not really like the github UI it feels like these
ugly google noUIDesigned "UI")
now you should consider that more and more people find git cool and
powerful. And as a matter of fact it is.
So you should consider that understanding and learning git is a way to
look less obsolete in the future. And it has nothing to do with Pharo.
Except that Pharo is becoming less foreign for mamy people thank to this.
I worked super well with git and iceberg on projects managing my dev
in a branch before it is ready to be incorporated.
So solid branches was what was really missing to monticello and before
you use it you may have problems to really assess them
but once you work with them you get the power they bring and the comfort.
Guille is working on a nice explanation of Git and central concept of
branch and you may want to read (at least I will read it because
Guille
understand it super super well).

Stef

On Wed, Apr 11, 2018 at 11:23 AM, Herbert Vojčík <[hidden email]> wrote:

> No, it is possible to install them without github account.
>
> You need to set protocol to https:
>
>  Iceberg enableMetacelloIntegration: true; remoteTypeSelector: #httpsUrl.
>
> Herby
>
> Baveco, Hans wrote:
>>
>> Thanks Ben!
>>
>> I created a github account, installed git and git bash, created SSH keys,
>> added keys to my github account, and changed the settings in Pharo to use
>> these keys, and finally was able to install the packages I wanted to try.
>> (roassal2 still not installing though).
>>
>> Question remains, is this really the only way to get these packages that
>> live on github into the image? I had no plans to work with git/github, but
>> was now forced to spent quite some time on it....
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Hans

Offray Vladimir Luna Cárdenas-2
Hi Baveco,

You don't need all this overcomplex Git paraphernalia to install a
package. I had a really unpleasant morning one day because of that and
mention it on the list and was corrected for the Bloc package.
Unfortunately the default documentation for some package still thinks in
the painful "Git way" (TM) of getting a package.

Despite that, I think that proper branching and creating a bridge with
file system versioning is needed. I hope to be able to help/hold until
Iceberg Fossil integration works without going the Git Way for my own
package but providing the advantages of file based DVCS.

Cheers,

Offray

On 11/04/18 04:23, Herbert Vojčík wrote:

> No, it is possible to install them without github account.
>
> You need to set protocol to https:
>
>  Iceberg enableMetacelloIntegration: true; remoteTypeSelector: #httpsUrl.
>
> Herby
>
> Baveco, Hans wrote:
>> Thanks Ben!
>>
>> I created a github account, installed git and git bash, created SSH
>> keys, added keys to my github account, and changed the settings in
>> Pharo to use these keys, and finally was able to install the packages
>> I wanted to try. (roassal2 still not installing though).
>>
>> Question remains, is this really the only way to get these packages
>> that live on github into the image? I had no plans to work with
>> git/github, but was now forced to spent quite some time on it....
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Hans

To make things merrier, when you set procotol to https, you don't need anything of the cruft from before: no ssh keys, no setting up an account, setting git username etc. You get read-only access to all public github:// and bitbucket:// repos with no additional setup.

The con is the “read-only” - you cannot (easily) develop / contribute to them. But if your only concern is to be able to load dependencies, setting protocol to https is easiest way to go.

Herby

On April 11, 2018 11:23:24 AM GMT+02:00, "Herbert Vojčík" <[hidden email]> wrote:

>No, it is possible to install them without github account.
>
>You need to set protocol to https:
>
>Iceberg enableMetacelloIntegration: true; remoteTypeSelector:
>#httpsUrl.
>
>Herby
>
>Baveco, Hans wrote:
>> Thanks Ben!
>>
>> I created a github account, installed git and git bash, created SSH
>> keys, added keys to my github account, and changed the settings in
>> Pharo to use these keys, and finally was able to install the packages
>
>> I wanted to try. (roassal2 still not installing though).
>>
>> Question remains, is this really the only way to get these packages
>> that live on github into the image? I had no plans to work with
>> git/github, but was now forced to spent quite some time on it....
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Hans

Peter Uhnak
The con is the “read-only”

They are _not_ read-only. If you want to push, they will use http auth for authentication. (Obviously you need an account for pushing, but that's given.)

Peter

Re: installation of packages on 6.1

Herby Vojčík
Yes, sorry, of course technically you can use https access to push as well, I just didn't use it for that purpose for long as I always use ssh for that and so only use of https was to read public repos without need for authorization.

On April 11, 2018 11:21:29 PM GMT+02:00, "Peter Uhnák" <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> The con is the “read-only”
>>

>They are _not_ read-only. If you want to push, they will use http auth
>for
>authentication. (Obviously you need an account for pushing, but that's
>given.)
>
>Peter

Re: installation of packages on 6.1

Herby Vojčík
But it's not easy, as you need username and password and that can be different for each URL. So ssh (with one key) is easier for write-access, IMO. Https is much easier for read(-only) access.

On April 11, 2018 11:25:55 PM GMT+02:00, [hidden email] wrote:

>Yes, sorry, of course technically you can use https access to push as
>well, I just didn't use it for that purpose for long as I always use
>ssh for that and so only use of https was to read public repos without
>need for authorization.
>

>On April 11, 2018 11:21:29 PM GMT+02:00, "Peter Uhnák"
><[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> The con is the “read-only”
>>>

>>They are _not_ read-only. If you want to push, they will use http auth
>>for
>>authentication. (Obviously you need an account for pushing, but that's
>>given.)
>>
>>Peter

Re: installation of packages on 6.1

Hans Baveco
Thanks for this explanation Stef,

Now looking forward to Guilles work - sounds like it will be a very helpful resource when starting to use Git!