installation on server

oliver oli
hello,

i'm new to pier and seaside. the wiki and seaside looks great. what i find really painful is the way you install and run seaside and pier in squeak. how do i easily install pier on a server in a shell (without a GUI)?

Re: installation on server

Lukas Renggli-2
> i'm new to pier and seaside. the wiki and seaside looks great. what
> i find really painful is the way you install and run seaside and
> pier in squeak.

Painful? There is a one-click installer on SqueakMap that provides
automatically loads all the requirements to run Pier. I will soon
provide a similar one-click installation for Seaside, as discussed at
Smalltalk Solutions, unfortunately that had to wait because I was
busy finishing my Master Thesis.

> how do i easily install pier on a server in a shell (without a GUI)?

You copy a ready image, that you created on a desktop machine, to the
server. This is what we are doing for most of our applications.

The nature of Smalltalk allows one to interact, e.g. update code, fix
problems, load plugins, with the application while it is running.
There is usually no need to have a down-time or to setup a second
server to take over while doing maintenance work. It is possible to
run Squeak without a graphical user interface though, however this
will take away a lot of power from the environment. If you server
doesn't allow to have a graphical user interface it is also possible
to install a VNC server in your image so you can interact like that.

Cheers,
Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

[ANN] Magritte -- Meta-Described Web Application Development

Lukas Renggli-2
>> unfortunately that had to wait because I was  busy finishing my
>> Master Thesis.
>>
> did you ;)  ?
>
> If possible can you send me a copy ?  even of a draft version

The final version of my Master Thesis is available to download from
the SCG repository. It covers Magritte and Pier and should give some
insight and additional documentation about the use and the
implementation of those frameworks. It can be downloaded from:

<http://www.iam.unibe.ch/~scg/cgi-bin/oobib.cgi?
query=Reng06a&abstract=yes>

Abstract:

Developing applications that end users can customize is a challenge,
since end users are domain experts but still have concrete
requirements. In this master thesis we present how we used a meta-
driven approach to support the end user customization of Web
applications. We present Magritte, a recursive meta-data meta-model
integrated into the Smalltalk reflective meta-model. The adaptive
model of Magritte enables to not only describe existing classes but
also let end users build their own meta-models on the fly. Further on
we describe how meta-interpreters automatically build views, reports,
validating editors and persistency mechanisms.

As a complete example of how we applied a meta-model to a Web
application we present Pier, the second version of a fully object-
oriented implementation of a content management system and Wiki
engine. Pier is implemented with objects from the top to the bottom
and is designed to be customizable to accommodate new needs. The
integration of a powerful meta-description layer makes it a breeze to
extend the running system with new functionality without having to
patch the core engine.

We describe the lessons learned from using the Magritte meta-model to
build applications. Both projects described in this thesis are open
source and can be downloaded from the Web site of the author.

Have fun,
Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: [ANN] Magritte -- Meta-Described Web Application Development

Lukas Renggli-2
> <http://www.iam.unibe.ch/~scg/cgi-bin/oobib.cgi?
> query=Reng06a&abstract=yes>

If the link does not work try this one:

        <http://tinyurl.com/e7b3b>

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

RE: [ANN] Magritte -- Meta-Described Web Application Development

Ramon Leon-5
> The final version of my Master Thesis is available to
> download from the SCG repository. It covers Magritte and Pier
> and should give some insight and additional documentation
> about the use and the implementation of those frameworks. It
> can be downloaded from:
>
> <http://www.iam.unibe.ch/~scg/cgi-bin/oobib.cgi?
> query=Reng06a&abstract=yes>
>
> Lukas Renggli
> http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Congratulations man, I look forward to reading it, I'm sure it'll help the
community a lot.
    -- Ramon Leon