installer on l*n*x ?

t olschewski
where are the installer scripts of pharo and squeak ?

earlier squeak versions installed themselves quite comfortably with /bin/sh INSTALL (squeak 3.9) oder make install (3.10)

I need pharo system-wide with a default image residing in a default location like /usr/local/lib/... and the executable in a default location /usr/local/bin/, -plugin path, vm parameters etc. - am I expected to do all this manually and to repeat this anytime I want to upgrade ?

Re: installer on l*n*x ?

Igor Stasenko
On 24 November 2011 19:38, t olschewski <[hidden email]> wrote:

> where are the installer scripts of pharo and squeak ?
>
> earlier squeak versions installed themselves quite comfortably with /bin/sh
> INSTALL (squeak 3.9) oder make install (3.10)
>
> I need pharo system-wide with a default image residing in a default location
> like /usr/local/lib/... and the executable in a default location
> /usr/local/bin/, -plugin path, vm parameters etc. - am I expected to do all
> this manually and to repeat this anytime I want to upgrade ?

i think you need a so-called one-click image. you can visit pharo site
for downloads.

But in practice, when you start work on many different projects, very
soon you will end up with multiple images,
located at different places.
And even multiple different VMs :)

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko.

Re: installer on l*n*x ?

t olschewski
Igor Stasenko wrote
i think you need a so-called one-click image. you can visit pharo site
for downloads.
yes, I am using OneClick 1.3. where's the install script ? I can see a wrapper pharo.sh that runs an image with fixed name pharo.image.
Igor Stasenko wrote
But in practice, when you start work on many different projects, very
soon you will end up with multiple images,
located at different places.
And even multiple different VMs :)
all wide-spread dynamic programming languages I've ever seen on linux have an installer so you can call them by command line without needing to care for paths or vm options.

If I want to run a python program, I type "python myscript.py" in any terminal window.  If I want to run a ruby program, I type "ruby myscript.rb". If I want to run a tcl program, I type "tclsh myscript.tcl" ... even gforth can be called this way.

Actually I consider this an indispensable feature of a programming language running on a linux system. It's quasi-standard behavior. Earlier versions of squeak (eg. 3.9 and 3.10) had an installer.

In case there is really no install script in OneClick and nobody else wants to do this,
maybe I could write an install script that:

* checks for some prerequisites
* copies the (OneClick) Pharo-1.x-.....app tree to /usr/local/lib/
* puts a wrapper script into /usr/local/bin (which is in $PATH)
* tells how to uninstall (remove) that later

Re: installer on l*n*x ?

Alan Rodas
I have some python scrtipts that I use to work with my smalltalk images. I will post them as soon as I get home (probably tomorrow)
With this scripts you can do something like

$ smalltalk open pharo 1.3 with cog

which does what you expect

although its quite hardcoded to my system and my needs so I will have to modify them a little bit before sharing to make them of any use for someone else.

Cheers
Alan Rodas Bonjour

Re: installer on l*n*x ?

Alan Rodas
As I promised..here are the scripts:

http://www.4shared.com/file/y42dR_wS/smalltalk_installertar.html?

I don't know if this is actually something like what you were looking
for, but I hope it helps.
likes. Feel free to modify the scripts as you please, but keep in mind
that the code is badly written and poorly documented, things are
almost always configured to suit my needs and it may contain bugs,
you've been warned :P

I added a README file to help you understand how to use the scripts
without looking at the ugly code, hope it  helps.

BTW sorry for the distribution channel, but it was the fastest way to upload it.

Cheers
Alan Rodas Bonjour

Re: installer on l*n*x ?

Alan Rodas
Sorry, the previous link had a problem...use this one

http://www.4shared.com/file/5F64qhKL/smalltalk_intaller.html?

Cheers
Alan Rodas Bonjour

http://marianopeck.wordpress.com

Re: installer on l*n*x ?

t olschewski
thank you very much. Is there absolutely no other way to share it, maybe by citing essential parts in a forum posting or as a file attachment ?