installing Pier in Pharo2

Peter H. Meadows
I want to learn/play with Pier.
Starting with Pharo 20500 image, I loaded seaside30 and pier3 from the configurations browser. (ignored some warnings).
Then I do:
PRPierFrame registerAsApplication: 'emptyPier' kernel: PRPierFrame exampleEmpty .

but I get WARequestContextNotFound error.

How can I make it work? Should I be using seaside2.8? What is the difference between pier2 and pier3?

thx.

Re: installing Pier in Pharo2

EstebanLM
hi,

problem is that, since Pharo 2.0 is still beta, there is no configuration to load seaside or pier on it yet.
If you want a fresh start, you better use Pharo 1.4 (and in one month more or less it will be proper configurations for Pharo 2.0).

Esteban

On Jan 31, 2013, at 4:16 PM, "Peter H. Meadows" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I want to learn/play with Pier.
> Starting with Pharo 20500 image, I loaded seaside30 and pier3 from the configurations browser. (ignored some warnings).
> Then I do:
> PRPierFrame registerAsApplication: 'emptyPier' kernel: PRPierFrame exampleEmpty .
>
> but I get WARequestContextNotFound error.
>
> How can I make it work? Should I be using seaside2.8? What is the difference between pier2 and pier3?
>
> thx.

Re: installing Pier in Pharo2

Lukas Renggli
Easiest is, if you start with a ready-made image from
http://jenkins.lukas-renggli.ch/.

The versions roughly work along:

  Pier (1) - Magritte (1) - Seaside 2.8
  Pier 2 - Magritte 2 - Seaside 3.0
  Pier 3 - Magritte 3 - Seaside 3.1

There is no big difference between Pier 2 and 3, except that the Pier
code was updated to work with Magritte 3. Magritte 1 and 2 uses naming
conventions, Magritte 3 annotations to declare meta-descriptions.

Lukas

On 31 January 2013 16:16, Peter H. Meadows
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> I want to learn/play with Pier.
> Starting with Pharo 20500 image, I loaded seaside30 and pier3 from the
> configurations browser. (ignored some warnings).
> Then I do:
> PRPierFrame registerAsApplication: 'emptyPier' kernel: PRPierFrame
> exampleEmpty .
>
> but I get WARequestContextNotFound error.
>
> How can I make it work? Should I be using seaside2.8? What is the difference
> between pier2 and pier3?
>
> thx.

Lukas Renggli
www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: installing Pier in Pharo2

Peter H. Meadows
ah. Well I got seaside3 from configurations browser in 20500, and that seems to work OK!

Anyway, thanks, I will try Pier in 1.4.

On 31 January 2013 15:29, Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]> wrote:
hi,

problem is that, since Pharo 2.0 is still beta, there is no configuration to load seaside or pier on it yet.
If you want a fresh start, you better use Pharo 1.4 (and in one month more or less it will be proper configurations for Pharo 2.0).

Esteban

On Jan 31, 2013, at 4:16 PM, "Peter H. Meadows" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I want to learn/play with Pier.
> Starting with Pharo 20500 image, I loaded seaside30 and pier3 from the configurations browser. (ignored some warnings).
> Then I do:
> PRPierFrame registerAsApplication: 'emptyPier' kernel: PRPierFrame exampleEmpty .
>
> but I get WARequestContextNotFound error.
>
> How can I make it work? Should I be using seaside2.8? What is the difference between pier2 and pier3?
>
> thx.

Re: installing Pier in Pharo2

Peter H. Meadows
I just remembered I have Pier3BookOnPharo20.image from the CI. It works. (How was it made?) That's why I assumed Pier3 would work in Pharo2...

So it doesn't need porting? Just needs a configuration thingy..? I'm not sure how they work. I will try to learn. Maybe I can make one.

On 31 January 2013 15:47, Peter H. Meadows <[hidden email]> wrote:
ah. Well I got seaside3 from configurations browser in 20500, and that seems to work OK!

Anyway, thanks, I will try Pier in 1.4.

On 31 January 2013 15:29, Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]> wrote:
hi,

problem is that, since Pharo 2.0 is still beta, there is no configuration to load seaside or pier on it yet.
If you want a fresh start, you better use Pharo 1.4 (and in one month more or less it will be proper configurations for Pharo 2.0).

Esteban

On Jan 31, 2013, at 4:16 PM, "Peter H. Meadows" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I want to learn/play with Pier.
> Starting with Pharo 20500 image, I loaded seaside30 and pier3 from the configurations browser. (ignored some warnings).
> Then I do:
> PRPierFrame registerAsApplication: 'emptyPier' kernel: PRPierFrame exampleEmpty .
>
> but I get WARequestContextNotFound error.
>
> How can I make it work? Should I be using seaside2.8? What is the difference between pier2 and pier3?
>
> thx.

Re: installing Pier in Pharo2

EstebanLM
ah, that's cool :)

On Jan 31, 2013, at 4:47 PM, "Peter H. Meadows" <[hidden email]> wrote:

ah. Well I got seaside3 from configurations browser in 20500, and that seems to work OK!

Anyway, thanks, I will try Pier in 1.4.

On 31 January 2013 15:29, Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]> wrote:
hi,

problem is that, since Pharo 2.0 is still beta, there is no configuration to load seaside or pier on it yet.
If you want a fresh start, you better use Pharo 1.4 (and in one month more or less it will be proper configurations for Pharo 2.0).

Esteban

On Jan 31, 2013, at 4:16 PM, "Peter H. Meadows" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I want to learn/play with Pier.
> Starting with Pharo 20500 image, I loaded seaside30 and pier3 from the configurations browser. (ignored some warnings).
> Then I do:
> PRPierFrame registerAsApplication: 'emptyPier' kernel: PRPierFrame exampleEmpty .
>
> but I get WARequestContextNotFound error.
>
> How can I make it work? Should I be using seaside2.8? What is the difference between pier2 and pier3?
>
> thx.

Re: installing Pier in Pharo2

Peter H. Meadows
Lukas: Ah, Cool. I didn't realize Pier was on jenkins.
http://www.piercms.com/download only links to pier2. Maybe it could/should link to pier3 as well?

Thanks.

On 31 January 2013 15:59, Peter H. Meadows <[hidden email]> wrote:
I just remembered I have Pier3BookOnPharo20.image from the CI. It works. (How was it made?) That's why I assumed Pier3 would work in Pharo2...

So it doesn't need porting? Just needs a configuration thingy..? I'm not sure how they work. I will try to learn. Maybe I can make one.

On 31 January 2013 15:47, Peter H. Meadows <[hidden email]> wrote:
ah. Well I got seaside3 from configurations browser in 20500, and that seems to work OK!

Anyway, thanks, I will try Pier in 1.4.

On 31 January 2013 15:29, Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]> wrote:
hi,

problem is that, since Pharo 2.0 is still beta, there is no configuration to load seaside or pier on it yet.
If you want a fresh start, you better use Pharo 1.4 (and in one month more or less it will be proper configurations for Pharo 2.0).

Esteban

On Jan 31, 2013, at 4:16 PM, "Peter H. Meadows" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I want to learn/play with Pier.
> Starting with Pharo 20500 image, I loaded seaside30 and pier3 from the configurations browser. (ignored some warnings).
> Then I do:
> PRPierFrame registerAsApplication: 'emptyPier' kernel: PRPierFrame exampleEmpty .
>
> but I get WARequestContextNotFound error.
>
> How can I make it work? Should I be using seaside2.8? What is the difference between pier2 and pier3?
>
> thx.

Re: installing Pier in Pharo2

Lukas Renggli
I've updated the download page.

On 31 January 2013 17:05, Peter H. Meadows
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Lukas: Ah, Cool. I didn't realize Pier was on jenkins.
> http://www.piercms.com/download only links to pier2. Maybe it could/should
> link to pier3 as well?
>
> Thanks.
>

> On 31 January 2013 15:59, Peter H. Meadows <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> I just remembered I have Pier3BookOnPharo20.image from the CI. It works.
>> (How was it made?) That's why I assumed Pier3 would work in Pharo2...
>>
>> So it doesn't need porting? Just needs a configuration thingy..? I'm not
>> sure how they work. I will try to learn. Maybe I can make one.
>>

>> On 31 January 2013 15:47, Peter H. Meadows
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> ah. Well I got seaside3 from configurations browser in 20500, and that
>>> seems to work OK!
>>>
>>> Anyway, thanks, I will try Pier in 1.4.

Lukas Renggli
www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: installing Pier in Pharo2

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Peter H. Meadows wrote
I just remembered I have Pier3BookOnPharo20.image from the CI. It works.
(How was it made?) That's why I assumed Pier3 would work in Pharo2...

So it doesn't need porting? Just needs a configuration thingy..?
Bump. Loading the stable version of Pier3 from sqs/metacellorepository in Pharo 2.0 only warns about using ImageSegment in the persistency package. But the snippet from the OP (PRPierFrame registerAsApplication: 'pier' kernel: PRPierFrame exampleEmpty .) still gives WARequestContextNotFound...
Cheers,
Sean

Re: installing Pier in Pharo2

Damien Cassou
On Thu, Jun 6, 2013 at 4:26 PM, Sean P. DeNigris <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Bump. Loading the stable version of Pier3 from sqs/metacellorepository in
> Pharo 2.0 only warns about using ImageSegment in the persistency package.
> But the snippet from the OP (PRPierFrame registerAsApplication: 'pier'
> kernel: PRPierFrame exampleEmpty .) still gives WARequestContextNotFound...

To make

   PRKernel instanceNamed: 'default'

work, we have to replace includesSubString: by includesSubstring:
(PRExternalLink>>isValidReference:)

Then, you can create an empty pier instance by executing:

    PRPierFrame registerAsApplication: 'pier' kernel: (PRKernel
instanceNamed: 'default').

Still, there is a problem in PRContext>>urlOn: as that code depends on
Seaside 3.1 which is unstable. Can we make it depend on Seaside 3.0
instead ? Nick, do you have an idea?

--
Damien Cassou
http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st