interview of ESUG president

Stéphane Ducasse
Hi guys

My first interview. I tried to give some nice answers.
after a while you get used to my french accent :)

http://en.citilab.eu/information/opinion/quotsmalltalk-has-some-great-opportunities-ahead-we-can039t-just-say-we039re-bes

See at Barcelona

Re: interview of ESUG president

Tudor Girba
Nice job :)

Cheers,
Doru

On 18 Mar 2010, at 07:56, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

> Hi guys
>
> My first interview. I tried to give some nice answers.
> after a while you get used to my french accent :)
>
> http://en.citilab.eu/information/opinion/quotsmalltalk-has-some-great-opportunities-ahead-we-can039t-just-say-we039re-bes
>
> See at Barcelona
> Stef

www.tudorgirba.com

"Relationships are of two kinds: those we choose and those that
happen. They both matter."

Re: interview of ESUG president

tallman@inbox.ru
> after a while you get used to my french accent :)
I was sure it's german accent. So, it's french?

Re: interview of ESUG president

Igor Stasenko
On 18 March 2010 08:56, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi guys
>
> My first interview. I tried to give some nice answers.
> after a while you get used to my french accent :)
>
> http://en.citilab.eu/information/opinion/quotsmalltalk-has-some-great-opportunities-ahead-we-can039t-just-say-we039re-bes

Good interview.
I didn't knew that AMD using smalltalk to develop chips. Where i can
read about it?

> See at Barcelona
> Stef

Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Re: interview of ESUG president

Stéphane Ducasse
At ESUG :)

> Good interview.
You see I learned how to be politically correct :)

> I didn't knew that AMD using smalltalk to develop chips. Where i can
> read about it?

in a factory at dresden. May be Georg Heeg has a public pointer for us.

Re: interview of ESUG president

Roland Wagener
Look onto our website
        http://www.heeg.de/

Scroll down the page and look for the AMD-Logo, there is a link to a
german PDF of a presentation by AMD in January 2006.

Greetings

Roland
--
Roland Wagener * Senior Consultant * [hidden email]
Tel: x49-231-9 75 99-26   Fax: x49-231-9 75 99-20

On 18 March 2010 10:17, Roland Wagener <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Look onto our website
>        http://www.heeg.de/
>
> Scroll down the page and look for the AMD-Logo, there is a link to a german
> PDF of a presentation by AMD in January 2006.

oh.. the last time i were able to read Deutch were in school about 14
years old :(
But thanks anyways.

> Greetings
>
> Roland
> --
> Roland Wagener * Senior Consultant * [hidden email]
> Tel: x49-231-9 75 99-26   Fax: x49-231-9 75 99-20
> Georg Heeg eK Dortmund
> Handelsregister: Amtsgericht Dortmund  A 12812
>
> Am 18.03.10 08:51, schrieb Igor Stasenko:
>>
>> On 18 March 2010 08:56, Stéphane Ducasse<[hidden email]>
>>  wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi guys
>>>
>>> My first interview. I tried to give some nice answers.
>>> after a while you get used to my french accent :)
>>>

>>> http://en.citilab.eu/information/opinion/quotsmalltalk-has-some-great-opportunities-ahead-we-can039t-just-say-we039re-bes
>>>
>> Good interview.
>> I didn't knew that AMD using smalltalk to develop chips. Where i can
>> read about it?
>>
>>> See at Barcelona
>>> Stef

Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Re: interview of ESUG president

Andreas Tönne
Nobody seems to remember the presentation of AMD (given by Heeg) at Lugano?

http://csl.ensm-douai.fr/Esug2007Media/uploads/1/HonorableSquiresLecture.pdf

Andreas

Am 18.03.10 09:20 schrieb "Igor Stasenko" unter <[hidden email]>:

> On 18 March 2010 10:17, Roland Wagener <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Look onto our website
>>        http://www.heeg.de/
>>
>> Scroll down the page and look for the AMD-Logo, there is a link to a german
>> PDF of a presentation by AMD in January 2006.
>>
> oh.. the last time i were able to read Deutch were in school about 14
> years old :(
> But thanks anyways.
>
>> Greetings
>>
>> Roland
>> --
>> Roland Wagener * Senior Consultant * [hidden email]
>> Tel: x49-231-9 75 99-26   Fax: x49-231-9 75 99-20
>> Georg Heeg eK Dortmund
>> Handelsregister: Amtsgericht Dortmund  A 12812
>>
>> Am 18.03.10 08:51, schrieb Igor Stasenko:

>>> Good interview.
>>> I didn't knew that AMD using smalltalk to develop chips. Where i can
>>> read about it?

Andreas Tönne
Lead Consultant
Cincom Systems GmbH & Co. oHG
Tel.: +49 6196 9003 100
Mobile: +49 172 6159272
Fax: +49 6196 9003 270

Geschäftsführer/Managing Directors: Thomas M. Nies, Gerald L. Shawhan
oHG mit Sitz/based in Schwalbach/Ts. (Amtsgericht Königstein/Ts. HRA 2653)
Pers. haftender Gesellschafter/Partner liable to unlimited extent:
Cincom Systems Verwaltungsgesellschaft mbH (Amtsgericht Königstein/Ts. HRB
5069)

On 18 March 2010 10:48, Andreas Tönne <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Nobody seems to remember the presentation of AMD (given by Heeg) at Lugano?
>
> http://csl.ensm-douai.fr/Esug2007Media/uploads/1/HonorableSquiresLecture.pdf

I wasn't there , so its hard to remember things you never heard about :)

> Andreas
>

> Am 18.03.10 09:20 schrieb "Igor Stasenko" unter <[hidden email]>:
>
>> On 18 March 2010 10:17, Roland Wagener <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Look onto our website
>>>        http://www.heeg.de/
>>>
>>> Scroll down the page and look for the AMD-Logo, there is a link to a german
>>> PDF of a presentation by AMD in January 2006.
>>>
>> oh.. the last time i were able to read Deutch were in school about 14
>> years old :(
>> But thanks anyways.
>>
>>> Greetings
>>>
>>> Roland
>>> --
>>> Roland Wagener * Senior Consultant * [hidden email]
>>> Tel: x49-231-9 75 99-26   Fax: x49-231-9 75 99-20
>>> Georg Heeg eK Dortmund
>>> Handelsregister: Amtsgericht Dortmund  A 12812

> Andreas Tönne
> Lead Consultant
> Cincom Systems GmbH & Co. oHG
> Tel.: +49 6196 9003 100
> Mobile: +49 172 6159272
> Fax: +49 6196 9003 270
>
> Geschäftsführer/Managing Directors: Thomas M. Nies, Gerald L. Shawhan
> oHG mit Sitz/based in Schwalbach/Ts. (Amtsgericht Königstein/Ts. HRA 2653)
> Pers. haftender Gesellschafter/Partner liable to unlimited extent:
> Cincom Systems Verwaltungsgesellschaft mbH (Amtsgericht Königstein/Ts. HRB
> 5069)

Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

AMD on Smalltalk (was interview of ESUG president)

Janko Mivšek
That AMD factory in Dresden was a convincing reference to me going to
Smalltalk back in 1995, so I remember it very well. Smalltalk is used in
so called MES (Manufacturing Execution System) named ControlWORKS,
developed for that factory in record short time and nowadays it still in
active development and marketed by company Adventa Control Technologies.
See also [1] for their presentation.

I remembered well that they even "open-source" the domain model of that
system, because I was influenced quite a lot with an elegance and beauty
of that model.

Best regards
Janko

[1]
http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/main/wp-content/uploads/successes/Adventa%20Helps%20Semiconductor%20Customers%20Reach%20Market%20Faster%20With%20Smalltalk-based%20ControlWORKS.pdf%27

--
Janko Mivšek
AIDA/Web

AW: [Esug-list] AMD on Smalltalk (was interview of ESUG president)

Georg Heeg
Janko,

Nowadays ControlWORKS is owned and marketed by a company called Rudolph Technologies For details see: http://www.rudolphtech.com/AnalysisProduct_ControlWORKS.aspx.

Georg

Georg Heeg eK, Dortmund und Köthen, HR Dortmund A 12812
Tel. +49-3496-214328, Fax +49-3496-214712

Re: AW: [Esug-list] AMD on Smalltalk (was interview of ESUG president)

Geert Claes
Administrator
Georg Heeg wrote
Nowadays ControlWORKS is owned and marketed by a company called Rudolph Technologies For details see: http://www.rudolphtech.com/AnalysisProduct_ControlWORKS.aspx.
> That AMD factory in Dresden was a convincing reference to me going to
> Smalltalk back in 1995, so I remember it very well. Smalltalk is used in so called
> MES (Manufacturing Execution System) named ControlWORKS, developed for
> that factory in record short time and nowadays it still in active development and
> marketed by company Adventa Control Technologies.
This is all very interesting!!  Adventa Control Technologies was acquired by Rudolph Technologies last year, hence the change of companies George mentioned see: http://www.rudolphtech.com/News_News20090803_Adventa.aspx

Re: AW: [Esug-list] AMD on Smalltalk (was interview of ESUG president)

stephane ducasse-2
Do they still develop in our lovely language?

Stef
On Mar 18, 2010, at 10:58 AM, Georg Heeg wrote:

> Janko,
>
> Nowadays ControlWORKS is owned and marketed by a company called Rudolph Technologies For details see: http://www.rudolphtech.com/AnalysisProduct_ControlWORKS.aspx.
>
> Georg
>
> Georg Heeg eK, Dortmund und Köthen, HR Dortmund A 12812
> Tel. +49-3496-214328, Fax +49-3496-214712

NiallRoss
Dear Igor,
    in my combined 2008 report (find it on the www.esug.org website) you
will find a talk by James Savidge about Adventa.  The talk Andreas
mentioned is summarised in my ESUG 2007 report (same website).  My
Smalltalk Solutions 2007 and Vendors conferences report has another AMD
talk.  (It is on the ESUG website but I think lacks its own link;
navigate to the directory where you see the other reports are held.  It
is also on the STIC website: www.stic.st in the download for that
conference.)  A report on Unaxis is in my 2005 Smalltalk Solutions report.

HTH
          Yours faithfully
             Niall Ross

Igor Stasenko wrote:

>On 18 March 2010 10:48, Andreas Tönne <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>>Nobody seems to remember the presentation of AMD (given by Heeg) at Lugano?
>>
>>http://csl.ensm-douai.fr/Esug2007Media/uploads/1/HonorableSquiresLecture.pdf
>>

>I wasn't there , so its hard to remember things you never heard about :)
>

>>Andreas

>>>oh.. the last time i were able to read Deutch were in school about 14
>>>years old :(
>>>But thanks anyways.

>>--
>>Andreas Tönne
>>Lead Consultant
>>Cincom Systems GmbH & Co. oHG
>>Tel.: +49 6196 9003 100
>>Mobile: +49 172 6159272
>>Fax: +49 6196 9003 270
>>
>>Geschäftsführer/Managing Directors: Thomas M. Nies, Gerald L. Shawhan
>>oHG mit Sitz/based in Schwalbach/Ts. (Amtsgericht Königstein/Ts. HRA 2653)
>>Pers. haftender Gesellschafter/Partner liable to unlimited extent:
>>Cincom Systems Verwaltungsgesellschaft mbH (Amtsgericht Königstein/Ts. HRB
>>5069)

Re: AW: [Esug-list] AMD on Smalltalk (was interview of ESUG president)

Geert Claes
Administrator
stephane ducasse-4 wrote
Do they still develop in our lovely language?
Well ... I have been able to find that they have a Gemstone DBA :)

Re: interview of ESUG president

Alexandre Bergel
The complete url is:
http://www.esug.org/data/ReportsFromNiallRoss/

Cheers,
Alexandre

Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu

On 18 March 2010 14:50, Niall Ross <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear Igor,
>   in my combined 2008 report (find it on the www.esug.org website) you will
> find a talk by James Savidge about Adventa.  The talk Andreas mentioned is
> summarised in my ESUG 2007 report (same website).  My Smalltalk Solutions
> 2007 and Vendors conferences report has another AMD talk.  (It is on the
> ESUG website but I think lacks its own link;  navigate to the directory
> where you see the other reports are held.  It is also on the STIC website:
> www.stic.st in the download for that conference.)  A report on Unaxis is in
> my 2005 Smalltalk Solutions report.

Thank you for details.

> HTH
>         Yours faithfully
>            Niall Ross
>
> Igor Stasenko wrote:
>
>> On 18 March 2010 10:48, Andreas Tönne <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>

>>> Nobody seems to remember the presentation of AMD (given by Heeg) at
>>> Lugano?
>>>

>>> http://csl.ensm-douai.fr/Esug2007Media/uploads/1/HonorableSquiresLecture.pdf
>>>

>> I wasn't there , so its hard to remember things you never heard about :)
>>

>>> Andreas

>>> --
>>> Andreas Tönne
>>> Lead Consultant
>>> Cincom Systems GmbH & Co. oHG
>>> Tel.: +49 6196 9003 100
>>> Mobile: +49 172 6159272
>>> Fax: +49 6196 9003 270
>>>
>>> Geschäftsführer/Managing Directors: Thomas M. Nies, Gerald L. Shawhan
>>> oHG mit Sitz/based in Schwalbach/Ts. (Amtsgericht Königstein/Ts. HRA
>>> 2653)
>>> Pers. haftender Gesellschafter/Partner liable to unlimited extent:
>>> Cincom Systems Verwaltungsgesellschaft mbH (Amtsgericht Königstein/Ts.
>>> HRB
>>> 5069)

Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Re: AMD on Smalltalk (was interview of ESUG president)

Janko Mivšek
Thanks Georg, that's why I didn't manage to find their website :)

About "open sourcing" their domain model, well, I found the papers which
were strongly influenced by ControlWORKS, published by organization
SEMATECH (http://www.sematech.org), which is organization of
semiconductor manufacturers. I have in my computer the papers of
SEMATECH Framework back from 1997, 1998:

        CIMFrameworkArchitectureGuide10.pdf
        CIMFrameworkSpecification20.pdf

This frameworks was heavily influenced by ControlWORKS even that you
won't see traces of Smalltalk in those papers, just UML and Corba
interfaces. But OO model is nice and clean and it is not hard to imagine
from where it comes from :)

If anyone is interested you can contact me privately, but even better,
find links to publicly available sources, if they somewhere exist.

Best regards
Janko

On 18. 03. 2010 10:58, Georg Heeg wrote:

> Janko,
>
> Nowadays ControlWORKS is owned and marketed by a company called Rudolph Technologies For details see: http://www.rudolphtech.com/AnalysisProduct_ControlWORKS.aspx.
>
> Georg
>
> Georg Heeg eK, Dortmund und Köthen, HR Dortmund A 12812
> Tel. +49-3496-214328, Fax +49-3496-214712

Janko Mivšek
Svetovalec za informatiko
Eranova d.o.o.
Ljubljana, Slovenija