introducing RPackage :)

Stéphane Ducasse
Hi guys

I would like to give a try to introduce RPackage = a complete rewrite of PackageInfo.
Moose people use it and I will sync with them to know.

It would be great if some of you could load and play with the system

Gofer new
       squeaksource: 'PharoInbox';
       package: 'ConfigurationOfRPackage';
       load.
 (Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfRPackage) perform: #loadDefault.

Note that RPackage is based on announcement. So there is just one place that register to systemNotifier.
So one of the following goal is to remove SystemChangeNotifier and replace it with announcement.

Re: introducing RPackage :)

Tudor Girba
Hi,

We use RPackage in Moose, and it works fine. We only encountered a small problem raised when renaming a class, but Cyrille fixed that, too. I am quite confident in it.

The way to load it is like this (different repo):
Gofer new
      squeaksource: 'PharoTaskForces';
      package: 'ConfigurationOfRPackage';
      load.
(Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfRPackage) perform: #loadDefault.

The translation of SystemChangeNotifier into Announcements happens in SystemAnnouncements package.

Just a note, until we can remove the SystemChangeNotifier, we have to first get Monticello work with RPackage and SystemAnnouncements. Afterwards, we should hook Announcements directly in the system, and yet afterwards remove the categories and get the tools work with RPackage.

Cheers,
Doru

--
www.tudorgirba.com

"Every thing should have the right to be different."

Re: introducing RPackage :)

Stéphane Ducasse

On Feb 26, 2011, at 8:12 PM, Tudor Girba wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We use RPackage in Moose, and it works fine. We only encountered a small problem raised when renaming a class, but Cyrille fixed that, too. I am quite confident in it.
>
> The way to load it is like this (different repo):
> Gofer new
>      squeaksource: 'PharoTaskForces';
>      package: 'ConfigurationOfRPackage';
>      load.
> (Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfRPackage) perform: #loadDefault.
>
> The translation of SystemChangeNotifier into Announcements happens in SystemAnnouncements package.

thanks doru I will talk with cyrille monday.

> Just a note, until we can remove the SystemChangeNotifier, we have to first get Monticello work with RPackage and

What do you mean by "we have to first get Monticello work with RPackage " It does not?

I will have a look.

> SystemAnnouncements. Afterwards, we should hook Announcements directly in the system, and yet afterwards remove the categories and get the tools work with RPackage.
>
> Cheers,
> Doru
>

> On 26 Feb 2011, at 18:59, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>
>> Hi guys
>>
>> I would like to give a try to introduce RPackage = a complete rewrite of PackageInfo.
>> Moose people use it and I will sync with them to know.
>>
>> It would be great if some of you could load and play with the system
>>

>> Gofer new
>>      squeaksource: 'PharoInbox';
>>      package: 'ConfigurationOfRPackage';
>>      load.
>> (Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfRPackage) perform: #loadDefault.
>>
>> Note that RPackage is based on announcement. So there is just one place that register to systemNotifier.
>> So one of the following goal is to remove SystemChangeNotifier and replace it with announcement.
>>
>> Stef
>>

> --
> www.tudorgirba.com
>
> "Every thing should have the right to be different."

Re: introducing RPackage :)

jannik laval
Hi,

There is also a nighty build in hudson server.

Cheers,
Jannik

On Feb 26, 2011, at 21:48 , Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

> On Feb 26, 2011, at 8:12 PM, Tudor Girba wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> We use RPackage in Moose, and it works fine. We only encountered a small problem raised when renaming a class, but Cyrille fixed that, too. I am quite confident in it.
>>
>> The way to load it is like this (different repo):
>> Gofer new
>>     squeaksource: 'PharoTaskForces';
>>     package: 'ConfigurationOfRPackage';
>>     load.
>> (Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfRPackage) perform: #loadDefault.
>>
>> The translation of SystemChangeNotifier into Announcements happens in SystemAnnouncements package.
>
> thanks doru I will talk with cyrille monday.
>

>> Just a note, until we can remove the SystemChangeNotifier, we have to first get Monticello work with RPackage and
>
> What do you mean by "we have to first get Monticello work with RPackage " It does not?
>
> I will have a look.
>
>> SystemAnnouncements. Afterwards, we should hook Announcements directly in the system, and yet afterwards remove the categories and get the tools work with RPackage.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Doru
>>

>> On 26 Feb 2011, at 18:59, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>>
>>> Hi guys
>>>
>>> I would like to give a try to introduce RPackage = a complete rewrite of PackageInfo.
>>> Moose people use it and I will sync with them to know.
>>>
>>> It would be great if some of you could load and play with the system
>>>

>>> Gofer new
>>>     squeaksource: 'PharoInbox';
>>>     package: 'ConfigurationOfRPackage';
>>>     load.
>>> (Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfRPackage) perform: #loadDefault.
>>>
>>> Note that RPackage is based on announcement. So there is just one place that register to systemNotifier.
>>> So one of the following goal is to remove SystemChangeNotifier and replace it with announcement.
>>>
>>> Stef
>>>

>> --
>> www.tudorgirba.com
>>
>> "Every thing should have the right to be different."

Re: introducing RPackage :)

Carla F. Griggio
I'll try it with smallUML, it would be great to link diagrams to a package instead of a special class like it's done now :)

On Feb 28, 2011, at 2:08 AM, Carla F. Griggio wrote:

> I'll try it with smallUML, it would be great to link diagrams to a package instead of a special class like it's done now :)

But pay attention the package is an object and you will still need to put the spec of your diagram somewhere.
And I still would love to have smallUML improved to the point we can use it to document all the pharo package.