invalid utf8 input detected

123

Re: invalid utf8 input detected

Stéphane Ducasse

On May 23, 2009, at 7:57 PM, Nicolas Cellier wrote:

> I confirm the scenario:
> 1) update10298 condenseChanges that let (SourceFiles at: 2) class =
> StandardFileStream
>   This is the seed of further problems, because further changes will
> be encoded in latin1 (or MacRoman I don't really wnt to know)
> 2) update10302 changes the methods with non ASCII characters
> 3) Stef save the image after update10304, that does reopen
> (SourceFiles at: 2) in UTF-8, but that's too late, the worm is in the
> apple.
>
> If you save the image just after the condenseChanges, no problem
> because (SourceFiles at: 2) is opened in Latin1 AFTER all the changes
> have gotten into it, and reopened UTF-8 before any changes got into
> it.
> We must track undue usage of StandardFileStream such as
> #condenseChanges.

Ok now we cannot really rollback the changes and I fixed the methods
that were leading to invalid UTF. But it means that we should check
the StandardFileStream
usage.
I"m doing some experiences with umejava code

Stef

> [...]
>> reproduce the problem, so that was vain...
>>
>> THIRD POSSIBLE TRACK:
>>
>> http://gforge.inria.fr/frs/download.php/22283/
>> Pharo0.1Core-10304cl.zip
>> has the invalid UTF-8 problem, just before 10305 changes that
>> introduced decompiled code...
>> So we might attack the problem with another code snippet:
>>
>> (SystemNavigation default browseAllCallsOn: (Smalltalk associationAt:
>> #SourceFiles))...
>>
>> Hmm, I might have a better clue now.
>> The problem might possibly come from the condenseChanges in
>> update10298.
>> What happen in a condenseChanges?
>> Changes are copied to this file:
>>
>> f := FileStream fileNamed: 'ST80.temp'.
>>
>> So far, so good, because the concreteStream is a MultiByteFileStream.
>>
>> But the end finishes with:
>>
>>       SourceFiles
>>               at: 2
>>               put: (StandardFileStream oldFileNamed: oldChanges name)
>>
>> Waouh, no MultiByteFileStream here, so no more UTF-8.
>> But hey, that would be the inverse problem: reading UTF-8 text with
>> latin1 reader: I can't get an error doing this, only some strange
>> sequence of characters... (The UTF-8 encoding)...
>> Unless incriminated methods are further changed in #script376 or any
>> other method... In which case they are written in latin1 in the
>> changeLog...
>> Hmm... That could be the case eventually. We must restart update
>> process from http://gforge.inria.fr/frs/download.php/22167/Pharo0.1Core-10296cl-2.zip
>>
>> One thing is sure, at next returnFromSnapshot, FileDirectory
>> class>>startup will reopen changes UTF-8.
>> So saving the image will reopen UTF-8...
>>
>> But wait... Maybe we get enough pieces of the puzzle:
>> Analyzing the Pharo0.1Core-10304cl.changes tells that Stephane
>> applied
>> several updates before snapshoting the image. So if Kernel and
>> System-Support are changed between 10298 and 10304, then we get the
>> explanation:
>> - condense changes put all in the .changes in UTF-8 but reopen the
>> changes in latin1
>> - further updates up to 10304 write changes in latin1
>> - image snapshot reopen changes in UTF-8 and thus we get further
>> invalid UTF-8...
>>
>> That's easy to reproduce. Stef, can you confirm?
>>
>> That also explain why I did not get the problem at home: I update
>> early and always save my image after.
>> After that we still have to detect and clean while Monticello sources
>> are interpreted UTF-8 when they should not (FIRST TRACK) , and
>> eventually make source code go UTF-8 in Monticello, so that non latin
>> programmers can use their favourite language eventually...
>>
>> Nicolas
>>
>> 2009/5/23 Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]>:
>>> No problem I never interpreted it like that.
>>> Me too I want a system that is working
>>>
>>> Adrian I will publish a fix for DNU now
>>> and I will try later to check the fixes proposed by yoshiki

Adrian Lienhard
Wow, great analysis, Nicolas!

I was trying to find the cause for several hours now. Your third track
exactly matches my findings.

For example in Object>>#doesNotUnderstand: prior to the condensing,
the source contained a non-ASCII character (UTF8 encoded as the two
bytes: 192 160). This gets correctly transferred during the condensing
into the new changes file. When you don't save the image (and hence
have the standard stream without UTF8 encoder) what you see in the
source is the character  (this is 192). That is, we suddenly have two
characters, 192 and 160 where before there was just one. If you load a
package, MC will compare methods and think this is a change. When
producing a unicode character 160. When storing this source to the
file (still without the encoder), it will just directly put 160 there.
At this point we have lost the leading  byte 192. Next time we start
or save the image and have the right encoder again, it will choke
because 160 is an invalid first byte in UTF8.

I think it's save to fix the invalid methods by overriding their
source. So we don't have to backtrack to version 10297.

Thanks,
Adrian

On May 23, 2009, at 19:57 , Nicolas Cellier wrote:

> [...]
>> changes in latin1
>> - further updates up to 10304 write changes in latin1
>> - image snapshot reopen changes in UTF-8 and thus we get further
>> invalid UTF-8...
>>
>> That's easy to reproduce. Stef, can you confirm?
>>
>> That also explain why I did not get the problem at home: I update
>> early and always save my image after.
>> After that we still have to detect and clean while Monticello sources
>> are interpreted UTF-8 when they should not (FIRST TRACK) , and
>> eventually make source code go UTF-8 in Monticello, so that non latin
>> programmers can use their favourite language eventually...
>>
>> Nicolas
>>
>> 2009/5/23 Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]>:
>>> No problem I never interpreted it like that.
>>> Me too I want a system that is working
>>>
>>> Adrian I will publish a fix for DNU now
>>> and I will try later to check the fixes proposed by yoshiki

Excellent!
Thanks guys.
I'm preparing a lectures for torino and I will experiment with umejava
mcz fixes.

Stef

123