inverse hyperbolic function

12

inverse hyperbolic function

Nicolas Cellier
Just a question of language: how to name them in English ?
Using asinh acosh atanh like any other programming language do would
be that simple...
But Smalltalk did not follow that path and didn't implement asin acos atan...

In French, inverse hyperbolic functions are named like this
argument sinus hyperbolique (argsh ou argsinh)
http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fonction_hyperbolique#Argument_tangente_hyperbolique

So I decided to use argSinh argCosh argTanh quite naturally (like we
have arcSin arcCos arcTan).

However I'm not sure English has same conventions. Can someone enlighten me?

Nicolas

Re: inverse hyperbolic function

Nicolas Cellier
Oops, area hyperbolic function, case of blindness !

So what is a good name for these function ?

2011/4/21 Nicolas Cellier <[hidden email]>:

> Just a question of language: how to name them in English ?
> Using asinh acosh atanh like any other programming language do would
> be that simple...
> But Smalltalk did not follow that path and didn't implement asin acos atan...
>
> In French, inverse hyperbolic functions are named like this
> argument sinus hyperbolique (argsh ou argsinh)
> http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fonction_hyperbolique#Argument_tangente_hyperbolique
>
> So I decided to use argSinh argCosh argTanh quite naturally (like we
> have arcSin arcCos arcTan).
>
> However I'm not sure English has same conventions. Can someone enlighten me?
>
> Nicolas

Re: inverse hyperbolic function

Bert Freudenberg

On 21.04.2011, at 21:24, Nicolas Cellier wrote:

> Just a question of language: how to name them in English ?
> Using asinh acosh atanh like any other programming language do would
> be that simple...
> But Smalltalk did not follow that path and didn't implement asin acos atan...
>
> In French, inverse hyperbolic functions are named like this
> argument sinus hyperbolique (argsh ou argsinh)
> http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fonction_hyperbolique#Argument_tangente_hyperbolique
>
> So I decided to use argSinh argCosh argTanh quite naturally (like we
> have arcSin arcCos arcTan).
>
> However I'm not sure English has same conventions. Can someone enlighten me?
>
> Nicolas

How about hypSin, hypArcSin, etc.? Alternatively, sinHyp, arcSinHyp.

This would fit the existing theme better, since we use arcSin where others use asin, etc. Just appending an "h" looks odd.

- Bert -

Re: inverse hyperbolic function

Frank Shearar
On 2011/04/21 21:18, Bert Freudenberg wrote:

> On 21.04.2011, at 21:24, Nicolas Cellier wrote:
>
>> Just a question of language: how to name them in English ?
>> Using asinh acosh atanh like any other programming language do would
>> be that simple...
>> But Smalltalk did not follow that path and didn't implement asin acos atan...
>>
>> In French, inverse hyperbolic functions are named like this
>> argument sinus hyperbolique (argsh ou argsinh)
>> http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fonction_hyperbolique#Argument_tangente_hyperbolique
>>
>> So I decided to use argSinh argCosh argTanh quite naturally (like we
>> have arcSin arcCos arcTan).
>>
>> However I'm not sure English has same conventions. Can someone enlighten me?
>>
>> Nicolas
>
> How about hypSin, hypArcSin, etc.? Alternatively, sinHyp, arcSinHyp.
>
> This would fit the existing theme better, since we use arcSin where others use asin, etc. Just appending an "h" looks odd.

Heh, I think appending an "h" looks exactly right :)

http://mathworld.wolfram.com/InverseHyperbolicCosine.html for instance
uses "arccosh".

frank

Re: inverse hyperbolic function

Levente Uzonyi-2
On Thu, 21 Apr 2011, Frank Shearar wrote:

> On 2011/04/21 21:18, Bert Freudenberg wrote:
>>
>> On 21.04.2011, at 21:24, Nicolas Cellier wrote:
>>
>>> Just a question of language: how to name them in English ?
>>> Using asinh acosh atanh like any other programming language do would
>>> be that simple...
>>> But Smalltalk did not follow that path and didn't implement asin acos
>>> atan...
>>>
>>> In French, inverse hyperbolic functions are named like this
>>> argument sinus hyperbolique (argsh ou argsinh)
>>> http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fonction_hyperbolique#Argument_tangente_hyperbolique
>>>
>>> So I decided to use argSinh argCosh argTanh quite naturally (like we
>>> have arcSin arcCos arcTan).
>>>
>>> However I'm not sure English has same conventions. Can someone enlighten
>>> me?
>>>
>>> Nicolas
>>
>> How about hypSin, hypArcSin, etc.? Alternatively, sinHyp, arcSinHyp.
>>
>> This would fit the existing theme better, since we use arcSin where others
>> use asin, etc. Just appending an "h" looks odd.
>
> Heh, I think appending an "h" looks exactly right :)
>
> http://mathworld.wolfram.com/InverseHyperbolicCosine.html for instance uses
> "arccosh".

+1 :)

Actually searching my image with the message names browser for 'arcSinH',
I found the following:
arcSinH
testArcSinH
testArcSinHStd

Levente

2011/4/21 Frank Shearar <[hidden email]>:

> On 2011/04/21 21:18, Bert Freudenberg wrote:
>>
>> On 21.04.2011, at 21:24, Nicolas Cellier wrote:
>>
>>> Just a question of language: how to name them in English ?
>>> Using asinh acosh atanh like any other programming language do would
>>> be that simple...
>>> But Smalltalk did not follow that path and didn't implement asin acos
>>> atan...
>>>
>>> In French, inverse hyperbolic functions are named like this
>>> argument sinus hyperbolique (argsh ou argsinh)
>>>
>>> http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fonction_hyperbolique#Argument_tangente_hyperbolique
>>>
>>> So I decided to use argSinh argCosh argTanh quite naturally (like we
>>> have arcSin arcCos arcTan).
>>>
>>> However I'm not sure English has same conventions. Can someone enlighten
>>> me?
>>>
>>> Nicolas
>>
>> How about hypSin, hypArcSin, etc.? Alternatively, sinHyp, arcSinHyp.
>>
>> This would fit the existing theme better, since we use arcSin where others
>> use asin, etc. Just appending an "h" looks odd.
>
> Heh, I think appending an "h" looks exactly right :)
>
> http://mathworld.wolfram.com/InverseHyperbolicCosine.html for instance uses
> "arccosh".
>
> frank

Yes I saw that, thanks, it's just that it sounds incorrect to French ears...
It should also sound incorrect to English ones because the inverse
function does not measure an arc of hyperbole, but rather the area of
a sector of hyperbole.

On 21.04.2011, at 23:01, Levente Uzonyi wrote:

> On Thu, 21 Apr 2011, Frank Shearar wrote:

>>> How about hypSin, hypArcSin, etc.? Alternatively, sinHyp, arcSinHyp.
>>> This would fit the existing theme better, since we use arcSin where others use asin, etc. Just appending an "h" looks odd.
>>
>> Heh, I think appending an "h" looks exactly right :)
>>
>> http://mathworld.wolfram.com/InverseHyperbolicCosine.html for instance uses "arccosh".
>
> +1 :)
>
> Actually searching my image with the message names browser for 'arcSinH', I found the following:
> arcSinH
> testArcSinH
> testArcSinHStd

"H" is much better than "h".

- Bert -

2011/4/21 Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]>:

> On 21.04.2011, at 23:01, Levente Uzonyi wrote:

>>> Heh, I think appending an "h" looks exactly right :)
>>>
>>> http://mathworld.wolfram.com/InverseHyperbolicCosine.html for instance uses "arccosh".
>>
>> +1 :)
>>
>> Actually searching my image with the message names browser for 'arcSinH', I found the following:
>> arcSinH
>> testArcSinH
>> testArcSinHStd
>
> "H" is much better than "h".
>
> - Bert -

Then we should use areaSinH not arcSinH...
Note that there is a sinh/cosh in Complex, and that pair should then
be renamed sinH cosH.
But it sounds like we want to be unique in computer science.

Nicolas

Re: inverse hyperbolic function

Ken G. Brown
+1
Wolfram is a good authority to follow.

Ken,
from my iPhone

On 2011-04-21, at 15:16, Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 21.04.2011, at 23:01, Levente Uzonyi wrote:

>>> Heh, I think appending an "h" looks exactly right :)
>>>
>>> http://mathworld.wolfram.com/InverseHyperbolicCosine.html for instance uses "arccosh".
>>
>> +1 :)
>>
>> Actually searching my image with the message names browser for 'arcSinH', I found the following:
>> arcSinH
>> testArcSinH
>> testArcSinHStd
>
> "H" is much better than "h".
>
> - Bert -

-1
Not according to Wolfram. They suggest lower case 'h'.

Ken,
from my iPhone

On 21.04.2011, at 23:36, Nicolas Cellier wrote:

> 2011/4/21 Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]>:

>>> +1 :)
>>>
>>> Actually searching my image with the message names browser for 'arcSinH', I found the following:
>>> arcSinH
>>> testArcSinH
>>> testArcSinHStd
>>
>> "H" is much better than "h".
>>
>> - Bert -
>>

> Then we should use areaSinH not arcSinH...

Or abbreviate it as arSinH, just like "arc" is short for "arcus"? But either looks fine to me.

> Note that there is a sinh/cosh in Complex, and that pair should then
> be renamed sinH cosH.

Right.

> But it sounds like we want to be unique in computer science.

Duh ;)

- Bert -

On 21.04.2011, at 23:52, Ken G. Brown wrote:

> On 2011-04-21, at 15:16, Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> +1 :)
>>>
>>> Actually searching my image with the message names browser for 'arcSinH', I found the following:
>>> arcSinH
>>> testArcSinH
>>> testArcSinHStd
>>
>> "H" is much better than "h".
>>
>> - Bert -
>>

> -1
> Not according to Wolfram. They suggest lower case 'h'.
>
> Ken,
> from my iPhone

So what? Wolfram's use of "arc" for the hyperbolic inverse is wrong too, as Nicolas pointed out.

- Bert -

On Thu, 21 Apr 2011, Ken G. Brown wrote:

> On 2011-04-21, at 15:16, Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> +1 :)
>>>
>>> Actually searching my image with the message names browser for 'arcSinH', I found the following:
>>> arcSinH
>>> testArcSinH
>>> testArcSinHStd
>>
>> "H" is much better than "h".
>>
>> - Bert -
>>

> -1
> Not according to Wolfram. They suggest lower case 'h'.

Since arccosh is an abbreviation of arcus cosinus hyperbolicus, the
camelcase version should be arcCosH.

Levente

> Ken,
> from my iPhone

Re: inverse hyperbolic function

Nicolas Cellier
2011/4/21 Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]>:

> On 21.04.2011, at 23:36, Nicolas Cellier wrote:

>>> "H" is much better than "h".
>>>
>>> - Bert -
>>>

>> Then we should use areaSinH not arcSinH...
>
> Or abbreviate it as arSinH, just like "arc" is short for "arcus"? But either looks fine to me.

In which case we meet ISO 31-11 recommendations, modulo camelCase
http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fonction_hyperbolique#Notes

Nicolas

On 2011-04-21, at 15:56, Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 21.04.2011, at 23:52, Ken G. Brown wrote:

>>> "H" is much better than "h".
>>>
>>> - Bert -
>>>

>> -1
>> Not according to Wolfram. They suggest lower case 'h'.
>>
>> Ken,
>> from my iPhone
>
> So what? Wolfram's use of "arc" for the hyperbolic inverse is wrong too, as Nicolas pointed out.
>
> - Bert -

So let's pretend Wolfram knows something about mathematical notation.

Ken

2011/4/22 Ken G. Brown <[hidden email]>:

> On 2011-04-21, at 15:56, Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> -1
>>> Not according to Wolfram. They suggest lower case 'h'.
>>>
>>> Ken,
>>> from my iPhone
>>
>> So what? Wolfram's use of "arc" for the hyperbolic inverse is wrong too, as Nicolas pointed out.
>>
>> - Bert -
>>

> So let's pretend Wolfram knows something about mathematical notation.
>
> Ken

Thinking of Wolfram as a God is Religion and there is nothing to
debate in this case.
But thinking of Wolfram as a human creation helps exercizing rational
skeptical inquiry.

Until someone exhibits a good rationale for employing arcus, it will be area.

Nicolas

On Thu, 21 Apr 2011, Nicolas Cellier wrote:

> 2011/4/21 Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]>:

>>> +1 :)
>>>
>>> Actually searching my image with the message names browser for 'arcSinH', I found the following:
>>> arcSinH
>>> testArcSinH
>>> testArcSinHStd
>>
>> "H" is much better than "h".
>>
>> - Bert -
>>

> Then we should use areaSinH not arcSinH...
> Note that there is a sinh/cosh in Complex, and that pair should then
> be renamed sinH cosH.
> But it sounds like we want to be unique in computer science.

>From wikipedia: "The abbreviations arcsinh, arccosh, etc., are commonly
used, even though they are misnomers, since the prefix arc is the
abbreviation for arcus, while the prefix ar stands for area.". My point
is on "commonly used". But if you care about the meaning, then arSinH
or areaSinH is definitely better.

Levente

At 12:58 AM +0200 4/22/11, Nicolas Cellier apparently wrote:

>2011/4/22 Ken G. Brown <[hidden email]>:
><snip>

>>> So what? Wolfram's use of "arc" for the hyperbolic inverse is wrong too, as Nicolas pointed out.
>>>
>>> - Bert -
>>>

>> So let's pretend Wolfram knows something about mathematical notation.
>>
>> Ken
>>

>Thinking of Wolfram as a God is Religion and there is nothing to
>debate in this case.
>But thinking of Wolfram as a human creation helps exercizing rational
>skeptical inquiry.
>
>Until someone exhibits a good rationale for employing arcus, it will be area.
>
>Nicolas

No one is saying Wolfram is a God, I am just saying that he is an authority on mathematical programming.
Mathematica is very successful, and based on sound mathematical principles.
If you do not want to accept Wolfram as an authority, that's up to you I suppose.

I also see Maple uses arcsinh etc.

Mathematica and Maple are two of the main mathematical programs out there.
I see no real useful purpose in going against their standards.
And I think you will be hard pressed to find 'H' in the notation for inverse hyperbolic functions in math textbooks.

Ken

2011/4/22 Levente Uzonyi <[hidden email]>:

> On Thu, 21 Apr 2011, Nicolas Cellier wrote:

>>> "H" is much better than "h".
>>>
>>> - Bert -
>>>

>> Then we should use areaSinH not arcSinH...
>> Note that there is a sinh/cosh in Complex, and that pair should then
>> be renamed sinH cosH.
>> But it sounds like we want to be unique in computer science.
>
>> From wikipedia: "The abbreviations arcsinh, arccosh, etc., are commonly
>
> used, even though they are misnomers, since the prefix arc is the
> abbreviation for arcus, while the prefix ar stands for area.". My point is
> on "commonly used". But if you care about the meaning, then arSinH or
> areaSinH is definitely better.
>

> Levente

Agree, but if commonality was the definitve argument, I would prefer sinh asinh

Nicolas

[OT] Re: [squeak-dev] inverse hyperbolic function

Levente Uzonyi-2
On Thu, 21 Apr 2011, Ken G. Brown wrote:

> No one is saying Wolfram is a God, I am just saying that he is an authority on mathematical programming.
> Mathematica is very successful, and based on sound mathematical principles.
> If you do not want to accept Wolfram as an authority, that's up to you I suppose.
>
> I also see Maple uses arcsinh etc.
>
> Mathematica and Maple are two of the main mathematical programs out there.
> I see no real useful purpose in going against their standards.
> And I think you will be hard pressed to find 'H' in the notation for inverse hyperbolic functions in math textbooks.

Should we do everything like VW or Gemstone, just because those are the
successful commercial smalltalk implementations nowadays? No. So why
should we follow the conventions of the two successful commercial computer
algebra systems? And what about Matlab? That's also a "main mathematical
program", isn't it?

Levente

> Ken

12