isNil ifTrue: idiom

Jimmie Houchin-3
Why is

addresses isNil ifTrue: [self initAddresses].

used in AIDA as opposed to

addresses ifNil: [self initAddresses].

?

Is ifNil unavailable in VW? or is there something I don't understand?

Thanks.

Jimmie

Re: isNil ifTrue: idiom

Rob Rothwell-3
I must say I have been wondering that myself...!

Rob

Jimmie Houchin-3 wrote
Why is

addresses isNil ifTrue: [self initAddresses].

used in AIDA as opposed to

addresses ifNil: [self initAddresses].

?

Is ifNil unavailable in VW? or is there something I don't understand?

Thanks.

Jimmie

Re: isNil ifTrue: idiom

Janko Mivšek
Dear all,

Let me first apologize for such an unresponsiveness and a backlog of
your  posts to be answered. I have all of them blue tagged on my
Thunderbird, so they will be answered, sooner or later. Thanks again for
your understanding!

isNil ifTrue: instead if ifNil: is used mostly from two reasons:
historical and portability.

Historical: back in 1996 there was no ifNil: on VW. This came later,
first as extensions by some packages and just in recent years as part of
core image.

Portability: because of ifNil: is probably still not part of all
Smalltalks it is just better to avoid it in core Aida.

But it is also true that I'm used of old method and that I didn't find
yet a compelling reason to change that habit :)

Best regards
Janko

Rob Rothwell wrote:

> I must say I have been wondering that myself...!
>
> Rob
>

> Jimmie Houchin-3 wrote:
>> Why is
>>
>> addresses isNil ifTrue: [self initAddresses].
>>
>> used in AIDA as opposed to
>>
>> addresses ifNil: [self initAddresses].
>>
>> ?
>>
>> Is ifNil unavailable in VW? or is there something I don't understand?
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> Jimmie

Janko Mivšek
AIDA/Web
Smalltalk Web Application Server
http://www.aidaweb.si

Re: isNil ifTrue: idiom

Jimmie Houchin-3
Janko Mivšek wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> Let me first apologize for such an unresponsiveness and a backlog of
> your  posts to be answered. I have all of them blue tagged on my
> Thunderbird, so they will be answered, sooner or later. Thanks again for
> your understanding!

Not a problem. I'm sure we all understand that you are a busy man. And
we are quite grateful for what you are able to give.

> isNil ifTrue: instead if ifNil: is used mostly from two reasons:
> historical and portability.
>
> Historical: back in 1996 there was no ifNil: on VW. This came later,
> first as extensions by some packages and just in recent years as part of
> core image.
>
> Portability: because of ifNil: is probably still not part of all
> Smalltalks it is just better to avoid it in core Aida.
>
> But it is also true that I'm used of old method and that I didn't find
> yet a compelling reason to change that habit :)

Ok, sounds reasonable. As one who does not quite go back so far and has
only used Squeak, I am quite fond of ifNil:, and will continue to do so
for personal code.

Like you, I have the habit of using a certain idiom, in my case, ifNil:,
and before I made effort to do differently, I just wanted to know if
there was a reason other than personal preference.

Would you like for any code written for AIDA and all of its composite
libraries to use the isNil ifTrue:? If so, then it would be good to add
this to the coding convention page.

Thanks.

Jimmie

Re: isNil ifTrue: idiom

Jimmie Houchin-3
Jimmie Houchin wrote:

> Janko Mivšek wrote:
>> Dear all,
>>
>> Let me first apologize for such an unresponsiveness and a backlog of
>> your  posts to be answered. I have all of them blue tagged on my
>> Thunderbird, so they will be answered, sooner or later. Thanks again for
>> your understanding!
>
> Not a problem. I'm sure we all understand that you are a busy man. And
> we are quite grateful for what you are able to give.
>
>> isNil ifTrue: instead if ifNil: is used mostly from two reasons:
>> historical and portability.
>>
>> Historical: back in 1996 there was no ifNil: on VW. This came later,
>> first as extensions by some packages and just in recent years as part of
>> core image.
>>
>> Portability: because of ifNil: is probably still not part of all
>> Smalltalks it is just better to avoid it in core Aida.
>>
>> But it is also true that I'm used of old method and that I didn't find
>> yet a compelling reason to change that habit :)
>
> Ok, sounds reasonable. As one who does not quite go back so far and has
> only used Squeak, I am quite fond of ifNil:, and will continue to do so
> for personal code.
>
> Like you, I have the habit of using a certain idiom, in my case, ifNil:,
> and before I made effort to do differently, I just wanted to know if
> there was a reason other than personal preference.
>
> Would you like for any code written for AIDA and all of its composite
> libraries to use the isNil ifTrue:? If so, then it would be good to add
> this to the coding convention page.

I just changed the coding-conventions page, reworded a few things and
added this convention.

Let me know if you prefer something different.

Thanks.

Jimmie

Re: isNil ifTrue: idiom

Janko Mivšek
Jimmie Houchin wrote:

>> Would you like for any code written for AIDA and all of its composite
>> libraries to use the isNil ifTrue:? If so, then it would be good to add
>> this to the coding convention page.
>
> I just changed the coding-conventions page, reworded a few things and
> added this convention.
>
> Let me know if you prefer something different.

Perfect! Thanks Jimmie.

Janko