isResizeable?

Scott Deans
Hi

I'm a Smalltalk novice who's just bought Dolphin 4 Value. It's a great
environment.

Is there a way of setting a shell to be non-resizable in the view-composer
i.e.. an attribute?
If not is there a way of doing it?

Many thanks

Scott Deans
Scotland

Re: isResizeable?

Bill Schwab-2
Scott,

> Is there a way of setting a shell to be non-resizable in the view-composer
> i.e.. an attribute?
> If not is there a way of doing it?

A quick search of Ian's newsgroup archive (see NewsgroupArchives on the
Wiki) turned up the following:
"Yes, a Shell will only attempts to adjust its default size on load if it
thinks that it can sensibly lay out its contents.  Therefore, if you set the
layoutManagerClass aspects to None the Shell will not attempt to resize.

Also, if you actually want a layout manager then you can force the size at
which the Shell will appear when it is loaded by setting its
#preferredExtent aspect appropriately."

To Andy's comments above, I'd add that you might have to set the
#usePreferredExtent aspect of the shell (it's possible that this second
aspect  might not have existed when he posted this).

Have a good one,

Bill

--
Wilhelm K. Schwab, Ph.D.

Re: isResizeable?

Andy Bower
Scott,

> I'm a Smalltalk novice who's just bought Dolphin 4 Value. It's a great
> environment.

That's always good to hear.

> Is there a way of setting a shell to be non-resizable in the view-composer
> i.e.. an attribute?
> If not is there a way of doing it?

I think what your looking for is is the inaptly named #hasThickFrame aspect.
Set this to false and it will get rid of the sizing border. The poor name
comes from Windows where the style that turn this on and off is called
WM_THICKFRAME.

Once you've got rid of the resizing borders, you'll probably want to ensure
that the window isn't automatically sized to some preferred dimensions
chosen by the Windows desktop. To do this you need to set #usePreferred
extent to false, in which case Dolphin will open the shell at the size you
specify in the View Composer.

Best Regards,

Andy Bower
Dolphin Support