isXXX methods? (was Re: 4 additions to core?)

isXXX methods? (was Re: 4 additions to core?)

Hannes Hirzel
I do not fully get you Juan.

Could you provide a bit more context about what you want to do with the

      isXXX

methods?

HH

On 5/13/15, Juan Vuletich <[hidden email]> wrote:

> There's always more cleanup to be done!
>
> #isHeap is easy to remove. But #isArray might be a bit riskier. These
> isXXX methods that simply answer a constant are extremely fast, and
> never cause context switch. I guess this is important for #isFloat,
> #isInteger, #isFraction, although the default that answers false could
> be defined in Number, and not Object... And I'm not really sure for
> #isArray.
>
> As usual, if you feel like digging into this, contributions are welcome.
>
> Cheers,
> Juan Vuletich
>
> On 5/12/2015 12:18 PM, David Graham wrote:
>> I agree with this. :)  A while back I noticed that some collections
>> have isXXX (like isArray and isHeap), while others don't.  Is this
>> just a matter of cleanup or is there some logic I'm missing?
>>
>> On 5/10/2015 1:31 PM, Juan Vuletich wrote:
>>>

>>> - Character >> isCharacter
>>> I guess we'd also need to add it to Object for this to make sense.
>>> But we all agree that calling isXXX methods is not nice style, right?

Re: isXXX methods? (was Re: 4 additions to core?)

Phil B
On Wed, 2015-05-13 at 19:54 +0000, H. Hirzel wrote:
> I do not fully get you Juan.
>
> Could you provide a bit more context about what you want to do with the
>
>       isXXX
>
> methods?

They've been mostly replaced by #is:.  There have been at least a couple
of discussions about this over the last few years on the list.  I think
it's a nice improvement and streamlines things.

> HH
>
> On 5/13/15, Juan Vuletich <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > There's always more cleanup to be done!
> >
> > #isHeap is easy to remove. But #isArray might be a bit riskier. These
> > isXXX methods that simply answer a constant are extremely fast, and
> > never cause context switch. I guess this is important for #isFloat,
> > #isInteger, #isFraction, although the default that answers false could
> > be defined in Number, and not Object... And I'm not really sure for
> > #isArray.
> >
> > As usual, if you feel like digging into this, contributions are welcome.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Juan Vuletich
> >
> > On 5/12/2015 12:18 PM, David Graham wrote:
> >> I agree with this. :)  A while back I noticed that some collections
> >> have isXXX (like isArray and isHeap), while others don't.  Is this
> >> just a matter of cleanup or is there some logic I'm missing?

Re: isXXX methods? (was Re: 4 additions to core?)

Juan Vuletich-4
Hi Hannes,

On 5/13/2015 4:54 PM, H. Hirzel wrote:
> I do not fully get you Juan.
>
> Could you provide a bit more context about what you want to do with the
>
>        isXXX
>
> methods?
>
> HH

I just think that Object has too many methods, and has a lot of methods
that are not the business of Object at all. A clear example is
#isMethodProperties. Does Object really need to know or care about
MethodProperties?

For the particular case of isXXX methods, in many cases they can be
replaced by a single #is: method that in Object just answers false. See
implementors in Cuis for its use.

There are many isXXX methods still in Cuis. #isHeap is an example.

HTH.

Cheers,
Juan Vuletich

> On 5/13/15, Juan Vuletich<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>> There's always more cleanup to be done!
>>
>> #isHeap is easy to remove. But #isArray might be a bit riskier. These
>> isXXX methods that simply answer a constant are extremely fast, and
>> never cause context switch. I guess this is important for #isFloat,
>> #isInteger, #isFraction, although the default that answers false could
>> be defined in Number, and not Object... And I'm not really sure for
>> #isArray.
>>
>> As usual, if you feel like digging into this, contributions are welcome.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Juan Vuletich
>>
>> On 5/12/2015 12:18 PM, David Graham wrote:
>>> I agree with this. :)  A while back I noticed that some collections
>>> have isXXX (like isArray and isHeap), while others don't.  Is this
>>> just a matter of cleanup or is there some logic I'm missing?

Re: isXXX methods? (was Re: 4 additions to core?)

Hannes Hirzel
Thank you for the clarification, Juan.

I am aiming at semi-automated porting, i.e. to come up with a recipe
of activities to do the port https://github.com/hhzl/Cuis-NeoCSV.

I want to redo it, as Sven has posted a new version last week end.

Replacing

     isCharacter

with

    is: Character

is fine.

Then I'd like to apply the same recipe to his NeoJSON package.

cheers
Hannes

On 5/14/2015 5:52 AM, H. Hirzel wrote:

> Thank you for the clarification, Juan.
>
> I am aiming at semi-automated porting, i.e. to come up with a recipe
> of activities to do the port https://github.com/hhzl/Cuis-NeoCSV.
>
> I want to redo it, as Sven has posted a new version last week end.
>
> Replacing
>
>       isCharacter
>
> with
>
>      is: Character
>
> is fine.

But in Cuis it would be '$a class == Character' or '$a isKindOf:
Character'. A reasonable alternative is to simply add #isCharacter to
SqueakCompatibility.pck.st.

> Then I'd like to apply the same recipe to his NeoJSON package.
>
> cheers
> Hannes

Cheers,
Juan Vuletich

> On 5/14/15, Juan Vuletich<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>> Hi Hannes,
>>
>> On 5/13/2015 4:54 PM, H. Hirzel wrote:
>>> I do not fully get you Juan.
>>>
>>> Could you provide a bit more context about what you want to do with the
>>>
>>>         isXXX
>>>
>>> methods?
>>>
>>> HH
>> I just think that Object has too many methods, and has a lot of methods
>> that are not the business of Object at all. A clear example is
>> #isMethodProperties. Does Object really need to know or care about
>> MethodProperties?
>>
>> For the particular case of isXXX methods, in many cases they can be
>> replaced by a single #is: method that in Object just answers false. See
>> implementors in Cuis for its use.
>>
>> There are many isXXX methods still in Cuis. #isHeap is an example.
>>
>> HTH.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Juan Vuletich

Re: isXXX methods? (was Re: 4 additions to core?)

Hannes Hirzel
OK, for the meantime let's add

dsg

Re: isXXX methods? (was Re: 4 additions to core?)

dsg
Could we remove SqueakCompatability from the Core-Packages.pck.st?  That way we can ensure that our core packages follow the Cuis philosophy.

> On May 14, 2015, at 9:07 AM, Juan Vuletich <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On 5/14/2015 5:52 AM, H. Hirzel wrote:
>> Thank you for the clarification, Juan.
>>
>> I am aiming at semi-automated porting, i.e. to come up with a recipe
>> of activities to do the port https://github.com/hhzl/Cuis-NeoCSV.
>>
>> I want to redo it, as Sven has posted a new version last week end.
>>
>> Replacing
>>
>>      isCharacter
>>
>> with
>>
>>     is: Character
>>
>> is fine.
>
> But in Cuis it would be '$a class == Character' or '$a isKindOf: Character'. A reasonable alternative is to simply add #isCharacter to SqueakCompatibility.pck.st.
>
>> Then I'd like to apply the same recipe to his NeoJSON package.
>>
>> cheers
>> Hannes
>
> Cheers,
> Juan Vuletich
>
>> On 5/14/15, Juan Vuletich<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>>> Hi Hannes,

>>> I just think that Object has too many methods, and has a lot of methods
>>> that are not the business of Object at all. A clear example is
>>> #isMethodProperties. Does Object really need to know or care about
>>> MethodProperties?
>>>
>>> For the particular case of isXXX methods, in many cases they can be
>>> replaced by a single #is: method that in Object just answers false. See
>>> implementors in Cuis for its use.
>>>
>>> There are many isXXX methods still in Cuis. #isHeap is an example.
>>>
>>> HTH.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Juan Vuletich

Re: isXXX methods? (was Re: 4 additions to core?)

Juan Vuletich-4
Yes, you are right!

Will do it in the next commit.

Thanks,