Previous Topic Next Topic

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

italic comments

bernhardHoefner
There was a small code modification in Version 5i to force all code comments style be italic.
Does anyone know how to do that in Version 7.10.1?

in Version 5i:

!Kernel.ColorTextParser methodsFor: 'bernhardHoefner'!\
\
methodTextColors\
        "changed by bernhardHoefner Mittwoch, 3. Oktober 2001 10:07:31.000\
        to add italic to comments"\
        ^Array with: (self coloringPreferencesFor: #methodCommentColor) with: #italic\
\
        "^self coloringPreferencesFor:  #methodCommentColor"! !\
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: italic comments

Michael Lucas-Smith-2
I believe most people use RBCodeHighlighting to style their source code < 8.0. In 8.0 we’ve integrated theming as part of the coding tools.

Cheers,
Michael

On 18 Jul 2014, at 9:40 pm, Bernhard Höfner <[hidden email]> wrote:

> There was a small code modification in Version 5i to force all code comments style be italic.
> Does anyone know how to do that in Version 7.10.1?
>
> in Version 5i:
>
> !Kernel.ColorTextParser methodsFor: 'bernhardHoefner'!\
> \
> methodTextColors\
> "changed by bernhardHoefner Mittwoch, 3. Oktober 2001 10:07:31.000\
> to add italic to comments"\
> ^Array with: (self coloringPreferencesFor: #methodCommentColor) with: #italic\
> \
> "^self coloringPreferencesFor:  #methodCommentColor"! !\
> _______________________________________________
> vwnc mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://lists.cs.uiuc.edu/mailman/listinfo/vwnc

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: italic comments

bernhardHoefner
Thank you Michael, I will try it.
Regards, Bernhard

Am 18.07.2014 14:45, schrieb Michael Lucas-Smith:

> I believe most people use RBCodeHighlighting to style their source code < 8.0. In 8.0 we’ve integrated theming as part of the coding tools.
>
> Cheers,
> Michael
>
> On 18 Jul 2014, at 9:40 pm, Bernhard Höfner <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> There was a small code modification in Version 5i to force all code comments style be italic.
>> Does anyone know how to do that in Version 7.10.1?
>>
>> in Version 5i:
>>
>> !Kernel.ColorTextParser methodsFor: 'bernhardHoefner'!\
>> \
>> methodTextColors\
>> "changed by bernhardHoefner Mittwoch, 3. Oktober 2001 10:07:31.000\
>> to add italic to comments"\
>> ^Array with: (self coloringPreferencesFor: #methodCommentColor) with: #italic\
>> \
>> "^self coloringPreferencesFor:  #methodCommentColor"! !\
>> _______________________________________________
>> vwnc mailing list
>> [hidden email]
>> http://lists.cs.uiuc.edu/mailman/listinfo/vwnc
>

Reply | Threaded
|

Class Diagramming Tools?

Hildebrant, Richard
In reply to this post by bernhardHoefner
Hello All,
        I'd like to gather up any of your thoughts, experience, and need for class diagramming tools in your Smalltalk projects.  I have always found it to be, not just useful, but necessary in developing software whose complexity goes much beyond "Hello World".  The ADvance tool has always been my choice - actually, the only one I know of - but it has not been supported sufficiently, beyond occasional fixes by third party users that may eventually get rolled into a VW commercial update.  It, for example, is not working well enough to use in VW7.10.1 PUL, and has not been since, maybe, VW7.6.

My sense is that very few use class diagramming tools for some reason, but I don't.  So, do you have a need/desire to use class diagramming in your development?  What do you use to do that, if anything?  Would you do more class diagramming if the tools were available?  What do you know about the continued support or even viability of ADvance going forward?  Any input will be appreciated.

Thanks in ADvance,
Rick Hildebrant

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Class Diagramming Tools?

Paul Baumann
Hi Rick,

I'm not familiar with ADvance.

Last time I created class diagrams was about seven years ago, and I'd used these techniques years earlier too. I used code that would be run as a background process while application code is running. It would sample and document how attributes are used. #allInstancesOfClasses: queries of domain classes would be used to update class methods that would answer all of the kinds of instances observed for each attribute. The class method was named #myAttributeTypes and attributes of a superclass would be described in the superclass method of that name. The method would answer a literal array with code like this:

myAttributeTypes
        "Answer a collection of attribute names and bindings to observed types."
        ^#(
                (location       ( #{Location} ) )
                (deliveryBegin  ( #{Date} ) )
                (deliveryEnd    ( #{Date} ) )
                (expireDate     ( #{Date} ) )
                (type   ( #{ByteString} #{ByteSymbol} ) )
        )

Once you have that information then the class diagrams can be generated for a set of classes. I had found a graphing tool used by other languages. All I had to do was write the class attribute information in the file format expected by the graphing tool. Last time I did this for VW I didn't bother to document what kinds of objects are found in attributes that hold collections; what this did was good enough for our needs.

I've done this for GS/S domain objects too. In that case I'd started with root collections and did a deep traversal through object graphs (and collections) to update persistent objects that document relationships. There were rules to determine how far to search for new attribute uses, and the rules were smart enough to search deeper in areas where new attribute uses are discovered.

People usually figure out class relationships the hard way. A class diagram would be a useful communication aid for new requirements and development training. A useful tool would generate a class diagram to show the relationships for a specific set of classes. The graphing tool would allow discussion-irrelevant attributes and connections to be trimmed from display. The business analysts writing requirements usually don't care about the underlying object model. If tools like these get used outside of the programmers that need them then the organization can end up with micro-managed development where developers lose the flexibility they need to implement a better solution.

Regards,

Paul Baumann

-----Original Message-----
From: [hidden email] [mailto:[hidden email]] On Behalf Of Hildebrant, Richard
Sent: Monday, August 04, 2014 14:45
To: VWNC
Subject: [vwnc] Class Diagramming Tools?

Hello All,
        I'd like to gather up any of your thoughts, experience, and need for class diagramming tools in your Smalltalk projects.  I have always found it to be, not just useful, but necessary in developing software whose complexity goes much beyond "Hello World".  The ADvance tool has always been my choice - actually, the only one I know of - but it has not been supported sufficiently, beyond occasional fixes by third party users that may eventually get rolled into a VW commercial update.  It, for example, is not working well enough to use in VW7.10.1 PUL, and has not been since, maybe, VW7.6.

My sense is that very few use class diagramming tools for some reason, but I don't.  So, do you have a need/desire to use class diagramming in your development?  What do you use to do that, if anything?  Would you do more class diagramming if the tools were available?  What do you know about the continued support or even viability of ADvance going forward?  Any input will be appreciated.

Thanks in ADvance,
Rick Hildebrant

This message may contain confidential information and is intended for specific recipients unless explicitly noted otherwise. If you have reason to believe you are not an intended recipient of this message, please delete it and notify the sender. This message may not represent the opinion of Intercontinental Exchange, Inc. (ICE), its subsidiaries or affiliates, and does not constitute a contract or guarantee. Unencrypted electronic mail is not secure and the recipient of this message is expected to provide safeguards from viruses and pursue alternate means of communication where privacy or a binding message is desired.