classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
1 message Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

java, c/c++ solutions and licenses

Tudor Girba-2
Hi,

Just to clarify the situation. We have two parsers that are mature enough for large cases studies. They are both closed source:
- VerveineJ: is closed source and it is likely to gain a license that will allow "friends" to use it for free, or something in this direction. At the moment, the sources and the build are available for anyone (although the license is not yet specified). It is mainly built by Nicolas Anquetil (and I helped a bit).
- inFamix: is free to use in any context, but you have to agree with their license usage (so, no real automated download). It is a subset from the inFusion commercial platform. It also supports C/C++. It is built by www.intooitus.com and I helped them a bit, too.

For what they cover, neither is quite complete in the little details, but they are almost there. VerveineJ is slightly better in the coverage of Annotations and a couple of more details (like References). They both export about the same metrics.

I would be interested in working with someone to build a little comparison infrastructure: we take some source code, and we generate a simple diff report on the build server.

It would be important for this community to get a robust solution for Java. I worked quite long on getting both of these mature enough and in evolving FAMIX to support the new language constructs in Java (e.g., Generics and Annotations), and I would still be interested in continuing this enhancement. inFamix also offers C/C++ support, and there one of the major headaches was given by the type alias possibilities, but that is solved now both in FAMIX and in the parser.

>From my experience, the most tedious work in this area is to go through each case study and deal with all the little details not just at the parser level, but also at the meta-model level. We are getting close to a solid solution for Java, but we need to push for the extra mile.

Talking about the meta-model we need to rethink completely the navigation API and be based solely on MooseChef (and possibly Lift). I would be interested in getting people to work with me on this, as well.

Cheers,
Doru

--
www.tudorgirba.com

"Reasonable is what we are accustomed with."