jtalk fun

laurent laffont
Go to http://jtalk-project.org/

Open development tools -> Workspace

Evaluate:

Tetris new appendToJQuery: 'body' asJQuery

play.

Laurent.

Re: jtalk fun

Noury Bouraqadi-2
Cool. But how do we move parts?

On 5 avr. 2011, at 15:16, laurent laffont wrote:

> Go to http://jtalk-project.org/
>
> Open development tools -> Workspace
>
> Evaluate:
>
> Tetris new appendToJQuery: 'body' asJQuery
>
> play.
>

> Laurent.

Noury Bouraqadi
http://car.mines-douai.fr/noury
--
-6th National Conference on
“Control Architecture of Robots”

-19th ESUG International Smalltalk Conference
22-26 August 2011, Edinburgh, UK
http://www.esug.org/Conferences/2011

-19èmes Journées Francophones sur les Systèmes Multi-Agents (JFSMA’11)
http://www.univ-valenciennes.fr/congres/jfsma2011/
17-19 Octobre 2011, Valenciennes, France

Re: jtalk fun

Nicolas Petton
Le mercredi 06 avril 2011 à 12:28 +0200, Noury Bouraqadi a écrit :
> Cool. But how do we move parts?

Hmm, you don't...

I only wrote the field and pieces, the game isn't working yet (and I
didn't think someone would find it... kudos to Laurent :-)

Cheers,
Nico

> On 5 avr. 2011, at 15:16, laurent laffont wrote:
>
> > Go to http://jtalk-project.org/
> >
> > Open development tools -> Workspace
> >
> > Evaluate:
> >
> > Tetris new appendToJQuery: 'body' asJQuery
> >
> > play.
> >

> > Laurent.
>
> Noury Bouraqadi
> http://car.mines-douai.fr/noury
> --
> -6th National Conference on
> “Control Architecture of Robots”
> 24-25 may 2011, Grenoble area, France
> http://car2011.inrialpes.fr/
>
> -19th ESUG International Smalltalk Conference
> 22-26 August 2011, Edinburgh, UK
> http://www.esug.org/Conferences/2011
>
> -19èmes Journées Francophones sur les Systèmes Multi-Agents (JFSMA’11)
> http://www.univ-valenciennes.fr/congres/jfsma2011/
> 17-19 Octobre 2011, Valenciennes, France

--
Nicolas Petton
http://www.nicolas-petton.fr

Re: jtalk fun

laurent laffont

On Wed, Apr 6, 2011 at 12:48 PM, Nicolas Petton <[hidden email]> wrote:
Le mercredi 06 avril 2011 à 12:28 +0200, Noury Bouraqadi a écrit :
> Cool. But how do we move parts?

Hmm, you don't...

I only wrote the field and pieces, the game isn't working yet (and I
didn't think someone would find it... kudos to Laurent :-)

Ahaha I was just looking for examples and this is in the example category ;)

Laurent

Cheers,
Nico

> On 5 avr. 2011, at 15:16, laurent laffont wrote:
>
> > Go to http://jtalk-project.org/
> >
> > Open development tools -> Workspace
> >
> > Evaluate:
> >
> > Tetris new appendToJQuery: 'body' asJQuery
> >
> > play.
> >

> > Laurent.
>
> Noury Bouraqadi
> http://car.mines-douai.fr/noury
> --
> -6th National Conference on
> “Control Architecture of Robots”
> 24-25 may 2011, Grenoble area, France
> http://car2011.inrialpes.fr/
>
> -19th ESUG International Smalltalk Conference
> 22-26 August 2011, Edinburgh, UK
> http://www.esug.org/Conferences/2011
>
> -19èmes Journées Francophones sur les Systèmes Multi-Agents (JFSMA’11)
> http://www.univ-valenciennes.fr/congres/jfsma2011/
> 17-19 Octobre 2011, Valenciennes, France

--
Nicolas Petton
http://www.nicolas-petton.fr

Re: jtalk fun

Richard Durr-2
Cool. The only problem in JTalk is for interfacing with JS you have to create new classes and use jsbody-methods ({'alert("hello")'}). In OMeta's JS/Smalltalk, you can reference and call JS-Objects directly (alert value: 'hello') at the cost of semantic ("atput" "a: t: p: u: t:" and "atput:" all refer to the same method/function, for example).

Somehow I find CoffeeScript cleaner in this regard. CoffeeScript is no Smalltalk, though. :(

On Wed, Apr 6, 2011 at 1:34 PM, laurent laffont <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Wed, Apr 6, 2011 at 12:48 PM, Nicolas Petton <[hidden email]> wrote:
Le mercredi 06 avril 2011 à 12:28 +0200, Noury Bouraqadi a écrit :
> Cool. But how do we move parts?

Hmm, you don't...

I only wrote the field and pieces, the game isn't working yet (and I
didn't think someone would find it... kudos to Laurent :-)

Ahaha I was just looking for examples and this is in the example category ;)

Laurent

Cheers,
Nico

> On 5 avr. 2011, at 15:16, laurent laffont wrote:
>
> > Go to http://jtalk-project.org/
> >
> > Open development tools -> Workspace
> >
> > Evaluate:
> >
> > Tetris new appendToJQuery: 'body' asJQuery
> >
> > play.
> >

> > Laurent.
>
> Noury Bouraqadi
> http://car.mines-douai.fr/noury
> --
> -6th National Conference on
> “Control Architecture of Robots”
> 24-25 may 2011, Grenoble area, France
> http://car2011.inrialpes.fr/
>
> -19th ESUG International Smalltalk Conference
> 22-26 August 2011, Edinburgh, UK
> http://www.esug.org/Conferences/2011
>
> -19èmes Journées Francophones sur les Systèmes Multi-Agents (JFSMA’11)
> http://www.univ-valenciennes.fr/congres/jfsma2011/
> 17-19 Octobre 2011, Valenciennes, France

--
Nicolas Petton
http://www.nicolas-petton.fr

Re: jtalk fun

Nicolas Petton
Good point Richard, and this isn't written in stone ;)

nico

2011/4/8 Richard Durr <[hidden email]>
Cool. The only problem in JTalk is for interfacing with JS you have to create new classes and use jsbody-methods ({'alert("hello")'}). In OMeta's JS/Smalltalk, you can reference and call JS-Objects directly (alert value: 'hello') at the cost of semantic ("atput" "a: t: p: u: t:" and "atput:" all refer to the same method/function, for example).

Somehow I find CoffeeScript cleaner in this regard. CoffeeScript is no Smalltalk, though. :(

On Wed, Apr 6, 2011 at 1:34 PM, laurent laffont <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Wed, Apr 6, 2011 at 12:48 PM, Nicolas Petton <[hidden email]> wrote:
Le mercredi 06 avril 2011 à 12:28 +0200, Noury Bouraqadi a écrit :
> Cool. But how do we move parts?

Hmm, you don't...

I only wrote the field and pieces, the game isn't working yet (and I
didn't think someone would find it... kudos to Laurent :-)

Ahaha I was just looking for examples and this is in the example category ;)

Laurent

Cheers,
Nico

> On 5 avr. 2011, at 15:16, laurent laffont wrote:
>
> > Go to http://jtalk-project.org/
> >
> > Open development tools -> Workspace
> >
> > Evaluate:
> >
> > Tetris new appendToJQuery: 'body' asJQuery
> >
> > play.
> >

> > Laurent.
>
> Noury Bouraqadi
> http://car.mines-douai.fr/noury
> --
> -6th National Conference on
> “Control Architecture of Robots”
> 24-25 may 2011, Grenoble area, France
> http://car2011.inrialpes.fr/
>
> -19th ESUG International Smalltalk Conference
> 22-26 August 2011, Edinburgh, UK
> http://www.esug.org/Conferences/2011
>
> -19èmes Journées Francophones sur les Systèmes Multi-Agents (JFSMA’11)
> http://www.univ-valenciennes.fr/congres/jfsma2011/
> 17-19 Octobre 2011, Valenciennes, France

--
Nicolas Petton
http://www.nicolas-petton.fr

Re: jtalk fun

Richard Durr-2
I do hope ^^

This makes working with "native" Javascript-Libraries hard (remembers me of how this is done in ObjJ).
Another problem is the extension of native JS "types" which can conflict with other libraries as well. I have a feeling that his can be solved by using some form of automatic wrapping like underscore.js uses to extend native JS-Arrays: _(someArray).canCallCoolforEachMethodNow() .

A ST dispatch method (asSmalltalkObject(someJavascriptObject).nowICanCallSmalltalkObjectsMethods() ) could also swap "undefined" and "null" for nil then automatically. However, this would bring a small runtime cost. Switching to a fully externalized and decoupled message-send implementation like in ObjJ would allow DNU then as well. smalltalkMessageSend(someObject, 'doSomething:', anObject);

RD

Le vendredi 08 avril 2011 à 22:18 +0200, Richard Durr a écrit :
> I do hope ^^
>

> This makes working with "native" Javascript-Libraries hard (remembers
> me of how this is done in ObjJ).
Does it look *that* hard?

> Another problem is the extension of native JS "types" which can
> conflict with other libraries as well. I have a feeling that his can
> be solved by using some form of automatic wrapping like underscore.js
> uses to extend native JS-Arrays:
> _(someArray).canCallCoolforEachMethodNow() .
Yes, but I like the fact that Jtalk maps Smalltalk constructs
one-to-one with JS equivalents.

> A ST dispatch method
> (asSmalltalkObject(someJavascriptObject).nowICanCallSmalltalkObjectsMethods() ) could also swap "undefined" and "null" for nil then automatically. However, this would bring a small runtime cost. Switching to a fully externalized and decoupled message-send implementation like in ObjJ would allow DNU then as well. smalltalkMessageSend(someObject, 'doSomething:', anObject);

That's really interesting. Now, again, I would worry about the runtime
cost. Jtalk maps message sends to function calls. That's what makes
Jtalk fast.

Cheers,
Nico

--
Nicolas Petton
http://www.nicolas-petton.fr

Re: jtalk fun

Richard Durr-2

On Mon, Apr 18, 2011 at 9:51 AM, Nicolas Petton <[hidden email]> wrote:

> This makes working with "native" Javascript-Libraries hard (remembers
> me of how this is done in ObjJ).
Does it look *that* hard?

Yes, it makes me work with Javascript and not Smalltalk. Well maybe hard is not the real word, ugly fits better.

> Another problem is the extension of native JS "types" which can
> conflict with other libraries as well. I have a feeling that his can
> be solved by using some form of automatic wrapping like underscore.js
> uses to extend native JS-Arrays:
> _(someArray).canCallCoolforEachMethodNow() .
Yes, but I like the fact that Jtalk maps Smalltalk constructs
one-to-one with JS equivalents.

Yeah, that is obviously nice but the change would be invisible to the smalltalk user.

> A ST dispatch method
> (asSmalltalkObject(someJavascriptObject).nowICanCallSmalltalkObjectsMethods() ) could also swap "undefined" and "null" for nil then automatically. However, this would bring a small runtime cost. Switching to a fully externalized and decoupled message-send implementation like in ObjJ would allow DNU then as well. smalltalkMessageSend(someObject, 'doSomething:', anObject);

That's really interesting. Now, again, I would worry about the runtime
cost. Jtalk maps message sends to function calls. That's what makes
Jtalk fast.

In a trivial test I did with Objective J, it did cost about half of the speed, but gives sending to null and undefined as well als DNU.

Sigh. It would be so cool to have the compatability of CoffeeScript with the Synta and Functionality of Smalltalk without having to write JS.^^

RD

Re: jtalk fun

Nicolas Petton
Le vendredi 22 avril 2011 à 16:20 +0200, Richard Durr a écrit :

> In a trivial test I did with Objective J, it did cost about half of
> the speed, but gives sending to null and undefined as well als DNU.

Half the speed is really something. Another problem would be the
resulting JS code. Right now the JavaScript output is very readable, and
it makes debugging easy.

Cheers,
Nicolas

--
Nicolas Petton
http://www.nicolas-petton.fr

Re: jtalk fun

Hannes Hirzel
On 4/5/11, laurent laffont <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Go to http://jtalk-project.org/
>
> Open development tools -> Workspace
>
> Evaluate:
>
> Tetris new appendToJQuery: 'body' asJQuery
>
> play.
>

> Laurent.

Hello Laurent

I like that you continue to work on jtalk by adding examples to make
it more easily accessible to play with.

I evaluated the expression above but it did not start.

Inspecting
Tetris new

gives an inspector on
   aTetris

Inspecting
Tetris new appendToJQuery: 'body' asJQuery

opens another inspector on aTetris

Nothing shows up.
I am using Firefox 5.0

Do you have any suggestions how to find out where the error is?
Hannes

P.S. Would it be possible to have a simple AJAX example which, e.g.
which loads a list of key/value pairs (e.g. web colors
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_colors (X11)) into a Smalltalk
dictionary and display them in a dictionary browser? Maybe a variant
with a plain text list and a JSON object list.

P.S 2  The canvas is a HTMLcanvas in the sense of Seaside, not a HTML5
graphical canvas to draw on, right? I'd love to have a class Pen with
the HTML5 graphical canvas. Even just with a subset of the methods.
Then it would be possible to run classical examples from the purple
book (e.g. Turtle graphic)

P.S. 3. Tetris is fine but much simpler examples are probably better
to help people getting started.

Re: jtalk fun

Hannes Hirzel
Nicolas

Another idea for an example

Connect the
JavaScript InfoVis Toolkit (http://thejit.org/) and display the class
hierarchy of JTalk  in a view like
http://thejit.org/static/v20/Jit/Examples/RGraph/example1.html or one
of the other examples at http://thejit.org/demos/
Displaying the class hierarchy of JTalk would be one thing. Or in
combination with an AJAX example displaying a graph defined in a JSON
file.

#Besides porting the InfoVis Toolkit Nicolas Garcia Belmonte (
http://blog.thejit.org/2009/09/30/force-directed-layouts/) develops
PhiloGL. It is a WebGL framework for data visualization, creative
coding and game development.

--Hannes

On 6/25/11, H. Hirzel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 4/5/11, laurent laffont <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Go to http://jtalk-project.org/
>>
>> Open development tools -> Workspace
>>
>> Evaluate:
>>
>> Tetris new appendToJQuery: 'body' asJQuery
>>
>> play.
>>

>> Laurent.
>>

> Hello Laurent
>
> I like that you continue to work on jtalk by adding examples to make
> it more easily accessible to play with.
>
> I evaluated the expression above but it did not start.
>
> Inspecting
> Tetris new
>
> gives an inspector on
>    aTetris
>
> Inspecting
> Tetris new appendToJQuery: 'body' asJQuery
>
> opens another inspector on aTetris
>
> Nothing shows up.
> I am using Firefox 5.0
>
> Do you have any suggestions how to find out where the error is?
> Hannes
>

> P.S. Would it be possible to have a simple AJAX example which, e.g.
> which loads a list of key/value pairs (e.g. web colors
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_colors (X11)) into a Smalltalk
> dictionary and display them in a dictionary browser? Maybe a variant
> with a plain text list and a JSON object list.
>

> P.S 2  The canvas is a HTMLcanvas in the sense of Seaside, not a HTML5
> graphical canvas to draw on, right? I'd love to have a class Pen with
> the HTML5 graphical canvas. Even just with a subset of the methods.
> Then it would be possible to run classical examples from the purple
> book (e.g. Turtle graphic)
>
> P.S. 3. Tetris is fine but much simpler examples are probably better
> to help people getting started.

Re: jtalk fun

Stéphane Ducasse

On Jun 25, 2011, at 8:25 AM, H. Hirzel wrote:

> Nicolas
>
> Another idea for an example
>
> Connect the
> JavaScript InfoVis Toolkit (http://thejit.org/) and display the class
> hierarchy of JTalk  in a view like
> http://thejit.org/static/v20/Jit/Examples/RGraph/example1.html or one

I would love to see such kind of animation in SMalltalk.
I do not understand why this is possible in javascript and not in Smalltalk.

Stef

Le samedi 25 juin 2011 à 10:27 +0200, Stéphane Ducasse a écrit :

> On Jun 25, 2011, at 8:25 AM, H. Hirzel wrote:
>
> > Nicolas
> >
> > Another idea for an example
> >
> > Connect the
> > JavaScript InfoVis Toolkit (http://thejit.org/) and display the class
> > hierarchy of JTalk  in a view like
> > http://thejit.org/static/v20/Jit/Examples/RGraph/example1.html or one
>
> I would love to see such kind of animation in SMalltalk.
> I do not understand why this is possible in javascript and not in Smalltalk.

Because such animations are done on the client side. So this is possible
in Jtalk :)

Cheers,
Nico
--
Nicolas Petton
http://www.nicolas-petton.fr

Re: jtalk fun

Tudor Girba-2

On 25 Jun 2011, at 10:27, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

> On Jun 25, 2011, at 8:25 AM, H. Hirzel wrote:
>
>> Nicolas
>>
>> Another idea for an example
>>
>> Connect the
>> JavaScript InfoVis Toolkit (http://thejit.org/) and display the class
>> hierarchy of JTalk  in a view like
>> http://thejit.org/static/v20/Jit/Examples/RGraph/example1.html or one
>
> I would love to see such kind of animation in SMalltalk.
> I do not understand why this is possible in javascript and not in Smalltalk.

We need a better canvas :).

Doru

> Stef
>

>> of the other examples at http://thejit.org/demos/
>> Displaying the class hierarchy of JTalk would be one thing. Or in
>> combination with an AJAX example displaying a graph defined in a JSON
>> file.
>>
>> #Besides porting the InfoVis Toolkit Nicolas Garcia Belmonte (
>> http://blog.thejit.org/2009/09/30/force-directed-layouts/) develops
>> PhiloGL. It is a WebGL framework for data visualization, creative
>> coding and game development.
>>
>> --Hannes

>>> Hello Laurent
>>>
>>> I like that you continue to work on jtalk by adding examples to make
>>> it more easily accessible to play with.
>>>
>>> I evaluated the expression above but it did not start.
>>>
>>> Inspecting
>>> Tetris new
>>>
>>> gives an inspector on
>>>  aTetris
>>>
>>> Inspecting
>>> Tetris new appendToJQuery: 'body' asJQuery
>>>
>>> opens another inspector on aTetris
>>>
>>> Nothing shows up.
>>> I am using Firefox 5.0
>>>
>>> Do you have any suggestions how to find out where the error is?
>>> Hannes
>>>

>>> P.S. Would it be possible to have a simple AJAX example which, e.g.
>>> which loads a list of key/value pairs (e.g. web colors
>>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_colors (X11)) into a Smalltalk
>>> dictionary and display them in a dictionary browser? Maybe a variant
>>> with a plain text list and a JSON object list.
>>>

>>> P.S 2  The canvas is a HTMLcanvas in the sense of Seaside, not a HTML5
>>> graphical canvas to draw on, right? I'd love to have a class Pen with
>>> the HTML5 graphical canvas. Even just with a subset of the methods.
>>> Then it would be possible to run classical examples from the purple
>>> book (e.g. Turtle graphic)
>>>
>>> P.S. 3. Tetris is fine but much simpler examples are probably better
>>> to help people getting started.

--
www.tudorgirba.com

"Don't give to get. Just give."

Re: jtalk fun

client side has nothing to do with the problem.
We need a better canvas and related.

Stef

On Jun 25, 2011, at 12:47 PM, Nicolas Petton wrote:

> Le samedi 25 juin 2011 à 10:27 +0200, Stéphane Ducasse a écrit :
>> On Jun 25, 2011, at 8:25 AM, H. Hirzel wrote:
>>
>>> Nicolas
>>>
>>> Another idea for an example
>>>
>>> Connect the
>>> JavaScript InfoVis Toolkit (http://thejit.org/) and display the class
>>> hierarchy of JTalk  in a view like
>>> http://thejit.org/static/v20/Jit/Examples/RGraph/example1.html or one
>>
>> I would love to see such kind of animation in SMalltalk.
>> I do not understand why this is possible in javascript and not in Smalltalk.
>
> Because such animations are done on the client side. So this is possible
> in Jtalk :)
>
> Cheers,
> Nico
> --
> Nicolas Petton
> http://www.nicolas-petton.fr

Re: jtalk fun

Nicolas Petton
Le samedi 25 juin 2011 à 13:55 +0200, Stéphane Ducasse a écrit :
> client side has nothing to do with the problem.
> We need a better canvas and related.

I thought you meant in a web page :)

Nicolas

--