keyboard shortcut open a warning

Stéphane Ducasse
may be we should simply remove that item.
        menu
                system
                        keyboard shortcuts

Re: keyboard shortcut open a warning

Marcus Denker-3
On Friday, July 31, 2009, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
> may be we should simply remove that item.
>         menu
>                 system
>                         keyboard shortcuts

yes

Marcus Denker  --  [hidden email]
http://www.marcusdenker.de

Re: keyboard shortcut open a warning

Mariano Martinez Peck

On Sat, Aug 1, 2009 at 10:28 AM, Marcus Denker <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Friday, July 31, 2009, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
> may be we should simply remove that item.
>         menu
>                 system
>                         keyboard shortcuts

yes

why? is there other way newbie and not so newbie people can see the list of shortcuts?  Using the mouse is ugly for me and I try to use shortcut as much as possible.

Marcus Denker  --  [hidden email]
http://www.marcusdenker.de

On 01.08.2009, at 18:19, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

> On Sat, Aug 1, 2009 at 10:28 AM, Marcus Denker <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Friday, July 31, 2009, Stéphane Ducasse
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > may be we should simply remove that item.
> >         menu
> >                 system
> >                         keyboard shortcuts
>
> yes
>
> why? is there other way newbie and not so newbie people can see the
> list of shortcuts?  Using the mouse is ugly for me and I try to use
> shortcut as much as possible.

Can you add a bugtracker entry for having some documentation/help
menu? The problem with the shortcuts was that in itself, it
was a bit lonly... but mayne a real help menu would make sense.

        Marcus

Re: keyboard shortcut open a warning

Adrian Lienhard
Just a thought: if all available commands are accessible via a menu
(which they probably should be), and the menu indicates the shortcut
key, then the GUI would be self-explanatory and we would not need a
list of shortcuts.

Adrian

On Tue, Aug 4, 2009 at 2:50 PM, Adrian Lienhard <[hidden email]> wrote:
Just a thought: if all available commands are accessible via a menu
(which they probably should be), and the menu indicates the shortcut
key, then the GUI would be self-explanatory and we would not need a
list of shortcuts.

That's true, however, not all shortcut are accessible by a menu. As an example to tab (move right a tab space) a piece of code, you have to do ctrl + shift + r or  ctrl + shift + l to left. Or to write a ifTrue: (forget about the ugly of ifTrue haha) you can do ctrl + shift + t .... etc.. and all of those things are useful to do with shortcuts but there aren't in any menu.

cheers,
Mariano

Adrian

On Aug 4, 2009, at 17:41 , Marcus Denker wrote:

> On 01.08.2009, at 18:19, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:
>

>> On Sat, Aug 1, 2009 at 10:28 AM, Marcus Denker <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>> On Friday, July 31, 2009, Stéphane Ducasse
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> may be we should simply remove that item.
>>>        menu
>>>                system
>>>                        keyboard shortcuts
>>
>> yes
>>
>> why? is there other way newbie and not so newbie people can see the
>> list of shortcuts?  Using the mouse is ugly for me and I try to use
>> shortcut as much as possible.
>>

> Can you add a bugtracker entry for having some documentation/help
> menu? The problem with the shortcuts was that in itself, it
> was a bit lonly... but mayne a real help menu would make sense.
>
>       Marcus

Re: keyboard shortcut open a warning

Stéphane Ducasse
It would be nice to check
        keymapper
        keybinding
        package statuses
because having a good keymapper is important for the future.

Then may be using pragmas to tag methods with short cut would be a
nice way to document
the default keybdingin.

Stef

On Tue, Aug 4, 2009 at 2:41 PM, Marcus Denker <[hidden email]> wrote:

On 01.08.2009, at 18:19, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

> On Sat, Aug 1, 2009 at 10:28 AM, Marcus Denker <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Friday, July 31, 2009, Stéphane Ducasse
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > may be we should simply remove that item.
> >         menu
> >                 system
> >                         keyboard shortcuts
>
> yes
>
> why? is there other way newbie and not so newbie people can see the
> list of shortcuts?  Using the mouse is ugly for me and I try to use
> shortcut as much as possible.

Can you add a bugtracker entry for having some documentation/help
menu? The problem with the shortcuts was that in itself, it
was a bit lonly... but mayne a real help menu would make sense.

Why you say it is lonely ? because it is wrong to be in "system" and should be under a new menu called "help" ?

       Marcus