kind of feedback from the presentations I did today

kind of feedback from the presentations I did today

Stéphane Ducasse
Hi guys

today I did two presentations:  smalltalk (pharo) and seaside
presentation at Perl, python and rubyist (haskell and more)
audience. It went well. And I was thinking: luckily we have a cool
look. I think that we damage ourselves with the look of squeak
for too long.

Now we should really work to make our nice language shine.
A guy told me that with IPython (nbot check) you can script your shell
and get a debugger on error
changes on the fly... and I was thinking: let us stop to live in a
museum (yeah our community invented the mouse, people don;t give
a shit about that, you just looks old and rubbish...).

So this is why pharo is really important. We should move and smalltalk
may move too and may be some people will follow.
I believe that
        a real small kernel
        a cool infrastructure (compiler, tools, new Mop....)
        a scripting syntax (I'm working on coral and petitParser is cool: in
1h30 not knowing anything I got the parser working :)).

will make smalltalk much more understandable and cooler.
Let us stop to think that what is have is the best.
Let us fix all the things that get in our way.
Let us make little chicken steps and billion of them.

We have really something to do and to dream about so this is cool.
It will not be easy but this is good. GNU smalltalk shows also that
this is possible to get it bootstrappable....

Re: kind of feedback from the presentations I did today

Schwab,Wilhelm K
Stef,

You say "we damaged ourselves" - I never noted your ridiculing people for wanting a better user interface.  There were many who did just that, and they were the ones who did the damage, IMHO.

Do you remember Jim Benson's Zurgle effort?  Great stuff.  The only thing he did wrong was to not have a lightweight theme.  WinXP offered some mouse-over challenges, so I can understand why he tackled it, but it was too much (not to mention UGLY, because it looked like XP).  That small slip aside, the Squeak community completely ignored what he did; I was offended for him.  It was happening yet again to Pinesoft, but no more, thanks to Pharo.

Bill

Re: kind of feedback from the presentations I did today

Stéphane Ducasse
I can tell you that when I presented smalltalk to students I looked
stupid in the past.
First of all because of look
Second because of certain piece of code (at least smart guys know and
do a difference).

Stef