libevent binding for haro ?

Alain Rastoul-2
Do someone knows about a libevent binding for Pharo , or made
experiments with Pharo and this library ?
After some experiment with the standard socket IO handling, I have the
feeling that it cannot scale on unix and neither on windows ...
TIA

Regards
Alain

Re: libevent binding for haro ?

Marcus Denker-4

> On 26 Nov 2014, at 23:48, Alain Rastoul <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Do someone knows about a libevent binding for Pharo , or made experiments with Pharo and this library ?
> After some experiment with the standard socket IO handling, I have the feeling that it cannot scale on unix and neither on windows …

I would be very interested in that, yes.
If I understand correctly, this is in the core what makes NodeJS scalable, or not?

        Marcus

Re: libevent binding for haro ?

Esteban A. Maringolo

El Thu Nov 27 2014 at 4:23:29 AM, Marcus Denker <[hidden email]> escribió:

> On 26 Nov 2014, at 23:48, Alain Rastoul <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Do someone knows about a libevent binding for Pharo , or made experiments with Pharo and this library ?
> After some experiment with the standard socket IO handling, I have the feeling that it cannot scale on unix and neither on windows …

I would be very interested in that, yes.
If I understand correctly, this is in the core what makes NodeJS scalable, or not?

As far as I understand they moved from livev to libuv (https://github.com/libuv/libuv).

Regards!

Esteban

Re: libevent binding for haro ?

Alain Rastoul-2
Hi Esteban,

Very good pointer, and interesting presentation at:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGn60vDSxQ4
I will make some experiments with that one, it looks nice... :)
Just one point that bother me, the use of epoll that from what I saw
with zeromq lead to some problem with the pharo vm signal handling. BTW
I was suspecting there would be something like that, they are not
thousands of way to handle socket io.
This is a problem, I left it and tried other ways, but sounds like there
are no other. Every problem have a solution, but some headaches in
perspective too ... :(

Just to mention, libev looked good too, much better that libevent in
fact, according to
benchmarks http://libev.schmorp.de/bench.html

Thank you for this pointer

regards,
Alain

El Thu Nov 27 2014 at 5:05:23 PM, Alain Rastoul <[hidden email]> escribió:

Just to mention, libev looked good too, much better that libevent in
fact, according to
benchmarks http://libev.schmorp.de/bench.html

Thank you for this pointer

In 2012's JSConf.ar there was a guy from Joyent explaining why they decided to move node from libev to libuv, all I remember (and understood) was the portability feature.

Other than that I'd love to have some async capabilities in Pharo like node or other platforms have, once the bindings are there, that creates opportunities for frameworks to blossom.

Regards!