libposix-aio

Nick
Hi,

Armed with the excellent instructions in GS64-InstallGuide-Linux-2.4.pdf I set about trying to rectify the warning at startup:
   'startstone[Warning]: /usr/lib64/libposix-aio.so not found, using librt.so'

I'm using Ubuntu 10.04 and as instructed, I downloaded libposix-aio-0.8.1.tar.gz. However compiling failed with an error and the googling the error implied that compilation was failing as some changes were required due to the use of the flag "-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2". The compiler error:

"/usr/include/bits/fcntl2.h:51: error: call to ‘__open_missing_mode’ declared with attribute error: open with O_CREAT in second argument needs 3 arguments"

However not to be deterred I thought I'd try the latest version  libposix-aio-0.8.2.tar.gz. This compiled without a problem and I installed it as instructed. Grepping the process list  shows: stoned_paio - indicating that Gemstone is using the new library. Also the warning is no longer produced at startup

Some questions:

There's a dire warning in the installation guide:

"You must use version 0.8.1 with GemStone/S 64 Bit v2.4; later versions may not work correctly"

sounds serious - am I taking a risk using 0.8.2?

Also when I ran ./configure it produced:

Native AIO features detected:
   Support for default value for max events: no
   Support for AIO signal event: no
   Support for LIO signal event: no
   Support for LIO wait: no
   Support for AIO cancel fd: no
   Support for buffered AIO: no

Does this indicate that my kernel doesn't really support any useful asynchronous IO functionality anyway and I should just ignore the warning and use librt.so instead?

Thanks

Nick

Re: libposix-aio

Dale Henrichs
Nick,

There are issues with AIO support on some Linux kernels the details for
which I am only vaguely familiar, so I'm hoping that someone with more
knowledge jumps in with better information than I can supply...

Dale

Nick Ager wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Armed with the excellent instructions in GS64-InstallGuide-Linux-2.4.pdf
> I set about trying to rectify the warning at startup:
>    'startstone[Warning]: /usr/lib64/libposix-aio.so not found, using
> librt.so'
>
> I'm using Ubuntu 10.04 and as instructed, I downloaded
> libposix-aio-0.8.1.tar.gz. However compiling failed with an error and
> the googling the error implied that compilation was failing as some
> changes were required due to the use of the flag "-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2".
> The compiler error:
>
> "/usr/include/bits/fcntl2.h:51: error: call to ‘__open_missing_mode’
> declared with attribute error: open with O_CREAT in second argument
> needs 3 arguments"
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/CompilerFlags
>
> However not to be deterred I thought I'd try the latest
> version  libposix-aio-0.8.2.tar.gz. This compiled without a problem and
> I installed it as instructed. Grepping the process list  shows:
> stoned_paio - indicating that Gemstone is using the new library. Also
> the warning is no longer produced at startup
>
> Some questions:
>
> There's a dire warning in the installation guide:
>
> "You must use version 0.8.1 with GemStone/S 64 Bit v2.4; later versions
> may not work correctly"
>
> sounds serious - am I taking a risk using 0.8.2?
>
> Also when I ran ./configure it produced:
>
> Native AIO features detected:
>    Support for default value for max events: no
>    Support for AIO signal event: no
>    Support for LIO signal event: no
>    Support for LIO wait: no
>    Support for AIO cancel fd: no
>    Support for buffered AIO: no
>

> Does this indicate that my kernel doesn't really support any useful
> asynchronous IO functionality anyway and I should just ignore the
> warning and use librt.so instead?
>
> Thanks
>
> Nick

Re: libposix-aio

SeanTAllen
If you have a 2.4 kernel, I would avoid the AIO stuff like the plague.
It should be fine on the 2.6 kernels, but I have limited practical
experience with that.

On Mon, Aug 16, 2010 at 6:13 PM, Dale Henrichs <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Nick,
>
> There are issues with AIO support on some Linux kernels the details for
> which I am only vaguely familiar, so I'm hoping that someone with more
> knowledge jumps in with better information than I can supply...
>
> Dale
>
> Nick Ager wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Armed with the excellent instructions in GS64-InstallGuide-Linux-2.4.pdf I
>> set about trying to rectify the warning at startup:    'startstone[Warning]:
>> /usr/lib64/libposix-aio.so not found, using librt.so'
>>
>> I'm using Ubuntu 10.04 and as instructed, I downloaded
>> libposix-aio-0.8.1.tar.gz. However compiling failed with an error and the
>> googling the error implied that compilation was failing as some changes were
>> required due to the use of the flag "-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2". The compiler
>> error:
>>
>> "/usr/include/bits/fcntl2.h:51: error: call to ‘__open_missing_mode’
>> declared with attribute error: open with O_CREAT in second argument needs 3
>> arguments"
>> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/CompilerFlags
>>
>> However not to be deterred I thought I'd try the latest version
>>  libposix-aio-0.8.2.tar.gz. This compiled without a problem and I installed
>> it as instructed. Grepping the process list  shows: stoned_paio - indicating
>> that Gemstone is using the new library. Also the warning is no longer
>> produced at startup
>>
>> Some questions:
>>
>> There's a dire warning in the installation guide:
>>
>> "You must use version 0.8.1 with GemStone/S 64 Bit v2.4; later versions
>> may not work correctly"
>>
>> sounds serious - am I taking a risk using 0.8.2?
>>
>> Also when I ran ./configure it produced:
>>
>> Native AIO features detected:
>>   Support for default value for max events: no
>>   Support for AIO signal event: no
>>   Support for LIO signal event: no
>>   Support for LIO wait: no
>>   Support for AIO cancel fd: no
>>   Support for buffered AIO: no
>>

>> Does this indicate that my kernel doesn't really support any useful
>> asynchronous IO functionality anyway and I should just ignore the warning
>> and use librt.so instead?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Nick

Re: libposix-aio

Martin McClure-3
On 08/16/2010 08:34 AM, Nick Ager wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Armed with the excellent instructions in GS64-InstallGuide-Linux-2.4.pdf
> I set about trying to rectify the warning at startup:
> 'startstone[Warning]: /usr/lib64/libposix-aio.so not found, using librt.so'
>
> I'm using Ubuntu 10.04 and as instructed, I downloaded
> libposix-aio-0.8.1.tar.gz. However compiling failed with an error and
> the googling the error implied that compilation was failing as some
> changes were required due to the use of the flag "-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2".
> The compiler error:
>
> "/usr/include/bits/fcntl2.h:51: error: call to ‘__open_missing_mode’
> declared with attribute error: open with O_CREAT in second argument
> needs 3 arguments"
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/CompilerFlags
>
> However not to be deterred I thought I'd try the latest
> version  libposix-aio-0.8.2.tar.gz. This compiled without a problem and
> I installed it as instructed. Grepping the process list  shows:
> stoned_paio - indicating that Gemstone is using the new library. Also
> the warning is no longer produced at startup
>
> Some questions:
>
> There's a dire warning in the installation guide:
>
> "You must use version 0.8.1 with GemStone/S 64 Bit v2.4; later versions
> may not work correctly"
>
> sounds serious - am I taking a risk using 0.8.2?
>
> Also when I ran ./configure it produced:
>
> Native AIO features detected:
>     Support for default value for max events: no
>     Support for AIO signal event: no
>     Support for LIO signal event: no
>     Support for LIO wait: no
>     Support for AIO cancel fd: no
>     Support for buffered AIO: no
>

> Does this indicate that my kernel doesn't really support any useful
> asynchronous IO functionality anyway and I should just ignore the
> warning and use librt.so instead?

Hi Nick,

We did see some problems when using newer versions of libposix-aio, so
I'd avoid them. Using librt.so should be fine for most cases, although
libposix-aio does have some advantages at very high commit rates,
especially if you're using high-end hardware.

Regards,

-Martin