libssh2 1.7.0 & 1.8.0

Previous Topic Next Topic
 
classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

libssh2 1.7.0 & 1.8.0

Alistair Grant
Hi Esteban,

The VM is currently being built with libssh2 1.7.0, but this doesn't
build on ARM v6 (Raspberry Pi) due to changes in openssl.

libssh2 1.8.0, which was released in October 2016, builds and appears
to function correctly (the VM crashes when attempting to commit from
within Iceberg, but I think this is an unrelated problem).

I've built and done some ad-hoc testing of libssh2 1.8.0 on linux 64
bit (Ubuntu 16.04) and haven't had any issues.

What do you think of upgrading from libssh2 1.7.0 to 1.8.0?

I don't know how close Pharo 7.0 is to release, but I expect this can
wait until Pharo 8.0 if you prefer.

For convenience: https://www.libssh2.org/

Thanks,
Alistair

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: libssh2 1.7.0 & 1.8.0

Guillermo Polito
Hi Alistair,

On Fri, Jan 4, 2019 at 9:25 AM Alistair Grant <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Esteban,

The VM is currently being built with libssh2 1.7.0, but this doesn't
build on ARM v6 (Raspberry Pi) due to changes in openssl.

libssh2 1.8.0, which was released in October 2016, builds and appears
to function correctly (the VM crashes when attempting to commit from
within Iceberg, but I think this is an unrelated problem).

May I ask if you mean commit or push?
Because commiting should not incure into any network activity and thus the ssl is never used.

I don't know about the satus of libssl and libgit, but it is certain that libgit uses libssl, so we have to be careful that the versions of libgit and libssl are compatible.
 
I've built and done some ad-hoc testing of libssh2 1.8.0 on linux 64
bit (Ubuntu 16.04) and haven't had any issues.

What do you think of upgrading from libssh2 1.7.0 to 1.8.0?

I don't know how close Pharo 7.0 is to release

Super close :)
 
, but I expect this can
wait until Pharo 8.0 if you prefer.

Or maybe for a 7.1?
We should be able to have easier and shorter release cycles in the future.

Thanks Alistair ^^


For convenience: https://www.libssh2.org/

Thanks,
Alistair



--

   

Guille Polito

Research Engineer

Centre de Recherche en Informatique, Signal et Automatique de Lille

CRIStAL - UMR 9189

French National Center for Scientific Research - http://www.cnrs.fr


Web: http://guillep.github.io

Phone: +33 06 52 70 66 13

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: libssh2 1.7.0 & 1.8.0

Alistair Grant
Hi Guille,

On Fri, 4 Jan 2019 at 09:54, Guillermo Polito <[hidden email]> wrote:

>
> Hi Alistair,
>
> On Fri, Jan 4, 2019 at 9:25 AM Alistair Grant <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Esteban,
>>
>> The VM is currently being built with libssh2 1.7.0, but this doesn't
>> build on ARM v6 (Raspberry Pi) due to changes in openssl.
>>
>> libssh2 1.8.0, which was released in October 2016, builds and appears
>> to function correctly (the VM crashes when attempting to commit from
>> within Iceberg, but I think this is an unrelated problem).
>
>
> May I ask if you mean commit or push?

I meant commit.  I guess that it is doing a comparison of the image to
the git repository to determine what has changed (to present the
dialog saying which methods have changed).  It's a call to free() that
actually causes the problem.


> Because commiting should not incure into any network activity and thus the ssl is never used.

Which is why I thought it is unrelated :-)


> I don't know about the satus of libssl and libgit, but it is certain that libgit uses libssl, so we have to be careful that the versions of libgit and libssl are compatible.

I cloned the pharo repository as a basic check that they are working
together (plus the testing on Ubuntu).


>> I've built and done some ad-hoc testing of libssh2 1.8.0 on linux 64
>> bit (Ubuntu 16.04) and haven't had any issues.
>>
>> What do you think of upgrading from libssh2 1.7.0 to 1.8.0?
>>
>> I don't know how close Pharo 7.0 is to release
>
>
> Super close :)

:-)

Cheers,
Alistair


>> , but I expect this can
>> wait until Pharo 8.0 if you prefer.
>
>
> Or maybe for a 7.1?
> We should be able to have easier and shorter release cycles in the future.
>
> Thanks Alistair ^^
>
>>
>> For convenience: https://www.libssh2.org/
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Alistair
>>
>
>
> --
>
>
>
> Guille Polito
>
> Research Engineer
>
> Centre de Recherche en Informatique, Signal et Automatique de Lille
>
> CRIStAL - UMR 9189
>
> French National Center for Scientific Research - http://www.cnrs.fr
>
>
> Web: http://guillep.github.io
>
> Phone: +33 06 52 70 66 13

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: libssh2 1.7.0 & 1.8.0

Nicolas Cellier
At the risk of being pedantic, if we were really serious, for mid term, it would be good to not compile ssl, but just link.


Le ven. 4 janv. 2019 à 10:13, Alistair Grant <[hidden email]> a écrit :
Hi Guille,

On Fri, 4 Jan 2019 at 09:54, Guillermo Polito <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi Alistair,
>
> On Fri, Jan 4, 2019 at 9:25 AM Alistair Grant <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Esteban,
>>
>> The VM is currently being built with libssh2 1.7.0, but this doesn't
>> build on ARM v6 (Raspberry Pi) due to changes in openssl.
>>
>> libssh2 1.8.0, which was released in October 2016, builds and appears
>> to function correctly (the VM crashes when attempting to commit from
>> within Iceberg, but I think this is an unrelated problem).
>
>
> May I ask if you mean commit or push?

I meant commit.  I guess that it is doing a comparison of the image to
the git repository to determine what has changed (to present the
dialog saying which methods have changed).  It's a call to free() that
actually causes the problem.


> Because commiting should not incure into any network activity and thus the ssl is never used.

Which is why I thought it is unrelated :-)


> I don't know about the satus of libssl and libgit, but it is certain that libgit uses libssl, so we have to be careful that the versions of libgit and libssl are compatible.

I cloned the pharo repository as a basic check that they are working
together (plus the testing on Ubuntu).


>> I've built and done some ad-hoc testing of libssh2 1.8.0 on linux 64
>> bit (Ubuntu 16.04) and haven't had any issues.
>>
>> What do you think of upgrading from libssh2 1.7.0 to 1.8.0?
>>
>> I don't know how close Pharo 7.0 is to release
>
>
> Super close :)

:-)

Cheers,
Alistair


>> , but I expect this can
>> wait until Pharo 8.0 if you prefer.
>
>
> Or maybe for a 7.1?
> We should be able to have easier and shorter release cycles in the future.
>
> Thanks Alistair ^^
>
>>
>> For convenience: https://www.libssh2.org/
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Alistair
>>
>
>
> --
>
>
>
> Guille Polito
>
> Research Engineer
>
> Centre de Recherche en Informatique, Signal et Automatique de Lille
>
> CRIStAL - UMR 9189
>
> French National Center for Scientific Research - http://www.cnrs.fr
>
>
> Web: http://guillep.github.io
>
> Phone: +33 06 52 70 66 13

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: libssh2 1.7.0 & 1.8.0

Pharo Smalltalk Developers mailing list
On Fri, 4 Jan 2019 at 10:36, Nicolas Cellier
<[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> At the risk of being pedantic, if we were really serious, for mid term, it would be good to not compile ssl, but just link.
>
> https://www.cvedetails.com/vulnerability-list/vendor_id-217/product_id-383/opdos-1/Openssl-Openssl.html

We'll need to keep this on the ToDo list for this year: openssl 1.0.2
goes out of support this December 2019.

The current version we're using, 1.0.2l, is also out of date, the
current release being 1.0.2q.  I'll probably have a go at building
that version.

Cheers,
Alistair