limiting dataset combo box column values to choices only

limiting dataset combo box column values to choices only

MarkPetersen
Has anyone come across a way to limit the value of a dataset column of type combo box to the choices menu values only.  I know I could use validation and/or notification to code something, but would be very useful to have the widget take care of this option for me.  If I provide a menu of choices for the user to select, I may not want them typing something else in.  The combo box widget by itself has this behavior if you provide a choices menu and them it read only.  Would be nice if the dataset combo box inherited this behavior.  Thanks.

Mark

AW: limiting dataset combo box column values to choices only

Christian Haider
Hi Mark,

maybe I have something you are looking for. The package DatasetMenuButton is attached.

HTH,
        Christian

--- package comment ---
A MenuButton for the Aragon DataSet

This package provides a MenuButton to be embedded in columns of a DataSet. It has a drop down list from which an item can be selected. The selected item can not be edited.

Do
        ExampleUI open
for a simple example.

The code is used in production in smallCharts, but will not be maintained. This work is obsolete when moving to Widgetry.

Basically this is a small collection of bug fixes to make this work. One override was necessary.

I didnt check if it would work with the regular DataSet, because I never used it.

Licence: MIT (do whatever you want with it on your own risk)

Have fun,
        Christian Haider
> Has anyone come across a way to limit the value of a dataset
> column of type
> combo box to the choices menu values only.  I know I could
> use validation
> and/or notification to code something, but would be very
> useful to have the
> widget take care of this option for me.  If I provide a menu
> of choices for
> the user to select, I may not want them typing something else
> in.  The combo
> box widget by itself has this behavior if you provide a
> choices menu and
> them it read only.  Would be nice if the dataset combo box
> inherited this
> behavior.  Thanks.
>
> Mark

DatasetMenuButton.zip (12K) Download Attachment

Re: AW: limiting dataset combo box column values to choices only

MarkPetersen
Thanks for the tip, Christian.  I'll look into it.

Mark

Christian Haider wrote