linux smalltalk help

Cole Harrup
Hi there.

I am trying to install GNU Smalltalk 3.2 in linux and followed all the
commands etc like ./configure then make then make, make install, make
check etc, abut the shell says it cannot find a make file in the
directory?

Oh and would you know of any tutorials on smalltalk as I am a first
timer at this language, and I cant get any .st files to run in linux.

many thanks

Re: linux smalltalk help

Paolo Bonzini-2
On 09/29/2010 03:30 PM, Cole Harrup wrote:
> Hi there.
>
> I am trying to install GNU Smalltalk 3.2 in linux and followed all the
> commands etc like ./configure then make then make, make install, make
> check etc, abut the shell says it cannot find a make file in the
> directory?

Please cut-and-paste the relevant logs, or at the very least the last
30-40 lines of the terminal.

> Oh and would you know of any tutorials on smalltalk as I am a first
> timer at this language, and I cant get any .st files to run in linux.

There is one included in GNU Smalltalk, just type "info gst" after a
(successful) install.

Paolo

Re: linux smalltalk help

Dmitry Matveev
Hello,

The command sequence is:
autoreconf -vi
./configure
make

2010/9/29, Cole Harrup <[hidden email]>:

> Hi there.
>
> I am trying to install GNU Smalltalk 3.2 in linux and followed all the
> commands etc like ./configure then make then make, make install, make
> check etc, abut the shell says it cannot find a make file in the
> directory?
>
> Oh and would you know of any tutorials on smalltalk as I am a first
> timer at this language, and I cant get any .st files to run in linux.
>
> many thanks

Re: linux smalltalk help

Paolo Bonzini-2
On 09/30/2010 12:36 PM, Dmitry Matveev wrote:
> Hello,
>
> The command sequence is:
> autoreconf -vi

No, this is not needed when compiling from a tarball.

Without more precise information from Cole it's impossible to guess.

Paolo