linux version download problem

Nicolas Cellier
I play the newbie again
I'm interested in linux version
I download stuff from http://www.pharo-project.org/download

primary link: http://ftp.squeak.org/Exupery/vms/exupery-vm-0.15.1-linux.tz
does not seem to integrate a ready-to-use squeak... (no plugin)
it contains only a build directory with not much help to install (make
does not work)

alternative link:
http://squeakvm.org/unix/release/Squeak-3.10-4.i686-pc-linux-gnu.tar.gz
does have a simple INSTALL, but:

$ squeak pharo0.1-10268dev09.04.1.image
This interpreter (vers. 6502) cannot read image file (vers. 6504).
Press CR to quit...

Sorry to bother, but it's not usable

Nicolas

Re: linux version download problem

Mariano Martinez Peck

On Sun, Apr 12, 2009 at 6:49 PM, Nicolas Cellier <[hidden email]> wrote:
I play the newbie again
I'm interested in linux version
I download stuff from http://www.pharo-project.org/download

primary link: http://ftp.squeak.org/Exupery/vms/exupery-vm-0.15.1-linux.tz
does not seem to integrate a ready-to-use squeak... (no plugin)
it contains only a build directory with not much help to install (make
does not work)

This seems to have all plugins for me. I uncompress the tar.gz and have a "build" directory with lots of plugins. There is also the "squeak" executable.

What plugin are you talking about ?

2009/4/12 Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]>:

> On Sun, Apr 12, 2009 at 6:49 PM, Nicolas Cellier
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I play the newbie again
>> I'm interested in linux version
>> I download stuff from http://www.pharo-project.org/download
>>
>> primary link: http://ftp.squeak.org/Exupery/vms/exupery-vm-0.15.1-linux.tz
>> does not seem to integrate a ready-to-use squeak... (no plugin)
>> it contains only a build directory with not much help to install (make
>> does not work)
>

> This seems to have all plugins for me. I uncompress the tar.gz and have a
> "build" directory with lots of plugins. There is also the "squeak"
> executable.
>
> What plugin are you talking about ?

OK, thanks, in between I tried to copy the whole build/ to /somewhere
and executed /somewhere/build/squeak *.image and it works fine.
Sorry, procedure was not clear to me compared to usual squeak
distribution with INSTALL instructions.
Especially, providing files like libtool Makefile and unusual
XXXPlugin/XXX.lo instead of /usr/local/lib/squeak-3.10.Y/XXXPlugin is
misleading.

Nicolas

Re: linux version download problem

Stéphane Ducasse
Hi nicolas

normally you should be able to use the default squeak with closure vm.
expurery was there to help people test it.

Sorry lot of us are on mac.

Stef

> 2009/4/12 Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]>:
>>

>> On Sun, Apr 12, 2009 at 6:49 PM, Nicolas Cellier
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> I play the newbie again
>>> I'm interested in linux version
>>> I download stuff from http://www.pharo-project.org/download
>>>
>>> primary link: http://ftp.squeak.org/Exupery/vms/exupery-vm-0.15.1-linux.tz
>>> does not seem to integrate a ready-to-use squeak... (no plugin)
>>> it contains only a build directory with not much help to install
>>> (make
>>> does not work)
>>

>> This seems to have all plugins for me. I uncompress the tar.gz and
>> have a
>> "build" directory with lots of plugins. There is also the "squeak"
>> executable.
>>
>> What plugin are you talking about ?
>>

> OK, thanks, in between I tried to copy the whole build/ to /somewhere
> and executed /somewhere/build/squeak *.image and it works fine.
> Sorry, procedure was not clear to me compared to usual squeak
> distribution with INSTALL instructions.
> Especially, providing files like libtool Makefile and unusual
> XXXPlugin/XXX.lo instead of /usr/local/lib/squeak-3.10.Y/XXXPlugin is
> misleading.
>
> Nicolas

Re: linux version download problem

Damien Cassou
On Sun, Apr 12, 2009 at 11:49 PM, Nicolas Cellier
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> I play the newbie again
> I'm interested in linux version
> I download stuff from http://www.pharo-project.org/download
>
> primary link: http://ftp.squeak.org/Exupery/vms/exupery-vm-0.15.1-linux.tz
> does not seem to integrate a ready-to-use squeak... (no plugin)
> it contains only a build directory with not much help to install (make
> does not work)

You are right. What about adding a README file and renaming build/ to
squeak-0.15.1? The README could contain:

This directory contains a pre-built squeak Virtual Machine (VM).To run
it within your file manager (like Nautilus or Dolphin), associate the
extension .image with the squeak executable. To run it through the
command line:

$ cd directory/with/the/image
$ /path/to/squeak image_filename.image

You can also add the squeak executable to your path:

$ cd /usr/local/bin
$ sudo ln -sf /path/to/squeak

and then

$ cd directory/with/the/image
$ squeak image_filename.image

What do you think?

--
Damien Cassou
http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st

Re: linux version download problem

Bryce Kampjes
On Mon, 2009-04-13 at 00:14 +0200, Nicolas Cellier wrote:
> 2009/4/12 Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]>:

> OK, thanks, in between I tried to copy the whole build/ to /somewhere
> and executed /somewhere/build/squeak *.image and it works fine.
> Sorry, procedure was not clear to me compared to usual squeak
> distribution with INSTALL instructions.
> Especially, providing files like libtool Makefile and unusual
> XXXPlugin/XXX.lo instead of /usr/local/lib/squeak-3.10.Y/XXXPlugin is
> misleading.

It's true that the packaging procedure could do with some more work.
When I originally started producing pre-packaged VMs for Exupery this is
what people wanted.

Bryce

Re: linux version download problem

Schwab,Wilhelm K
Are you sure about the cd to get a local path to the image?  I just give the full path to both the vm and image, and it seems to work.

Bill

On Tue, Apr 14, 2009 at 3:23 AM, Schwab,Wilhelm K <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Are you sure about the cd to get a local path to the image?  I just give the full path to both the vm and image, and it seems to work.

do you get the directory package-cache in the image directory if you
load things through monticello?

--
Damien Cassou
http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st

Re: linux version download problem

Schwab,Wilhelm K
Damien,

I think so, but is there a specific test that would answer it for you?  I'm happy to try it and report back, but I fear that I could miss something if left to my own devices to plan the test.

Bill

On Tue, Apr 14, 2009 at 3:23 AM, Schwab,Wilhelm K <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Are you sure about the cd to get a local path to the image?  I just give the full path to both the vm and image, and it seems to work.

do you get the directory package-cache in the image directory if you load things through monticello?

--
Damien Cassou
http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st

Re: linux version download problem

Michael Rueger-6
Bryce Kampjes wrote:

> It's true that the packaging procedure could do with some more work.
> When I originally started producing pre-packaged VMs for Exupery this is
> what people wanted.

so is this an exupery VM or a "normal" one?

I just wrote a similar email like Nicolas, but then remembered this
thread :-)

Michael

On Fri, 2009-04-24 at 14:41 +0200, Michael Rueger wrote:

> Bryce Kampjes wrote:
>
> > It's true that the packaging procedure could do with some more work.
> > When I originally started producing pre-packaged VMs for Exupery this is
> > what people wanted.
>
> so is this an exupery VM or a "normal" one?
>
> I just wrote a similar email like Nicolas, but then remembered this
> thread :-)

Both.

An Exupery VM is a normal VM with a few extra primitives and a few hooks
to allow native code to be executed instead of interpreted code. If
Exupery isn't used it's just a normal VM.

For Windows there's more of a difference as I'm not maintaining the
Windows Exupery VM to the same level as the Linux one.

Bryce

On Sat, 2009-04-25 at 02:09 +0200, Henrik Sperre Johansen wrote:
> Speaking of which, how's the work on making Exupery (the JIT, not the
> VM :) ) compatible with a Closure VM going?

I haven't yet started on making Exupery work with closures. I'm likely
to do that after I finish the first stage of dynamic method inlining
which is underway now.

Progress will be slow as we've a 1 week old baby.

Bryce