listening on INADDR_ANY?

Randal L. Schwartz

After some tracing around, and finally staring at code in .c files, I see that
my only choices for WAKom are "port number" but not "interface", and that the
chosen interface is 255.255.255.255!

What if I wanted to proxy my Seaside behind Apache, and want to make sure
that only Apache connects to it?  The logical thing would be to have
Seaside listen only on 127.0.0.1.  But there's no option for this.

What are other people doing?  How do you restrict access to your Seaside
instance when you have an inward proxy?

Re: listening on INADDR_ANY?

Alexander Lazarevic'
Just guessing: What about two (accept/reject) iptables input-rules for
lo/all other interfaces and dport=WAKomPort?

Alex

Randal L. Schwartz schrieb:

> After some tracing around, and finally staring at code in .c files, I see that
> my only choices for WAKom are "port number" but not "interface", and that the
> chosen interface is 255.255.255.255!
>
> What if I wanted to proxy my Seaside behind Apache, and want to make sure
> that only Apache connects to it?  The logical thing would be to have
> Seaside listen only on 127.0.0.1.  But there's no option for this.
>
> What are other people doing?  How do you restrict access to your Seaside
> instance when you have an inward proxy?

Re: listening on INADDR_ANY?

Andreas.Raab
Newer VMs support specifying the interface for sockets to use. I don't
know how widely this is available for Kom/Seaside though.

Cheers,
   - Andreas

Randal L. Schwartz wrote:

> After some tracing around, and finally staring at code in .c files, I see that
> my only choices for WAKom are "port number" but not "interface", and that the
> chosen interface is 255.255.255.255!
>
> What if I wanted to proxy my Seaside behind Apache, and want to make sure
> that only Apache connects to it?  The logical thing would be to have
> Seaside listen only on 127.0.0.1.  But there's no option for this.
>
> What are other people doing?  How do you restrict access to your Seaside
> instance when you have an inward proxy?

RE: listening on INADDR_ANY?

Sebastian Sastre-2
Firewalling that port for others than localhost. Cheers,

Sebastian

Re: listening on INADDR_ANY?

Randal L. Schwartz

Sebastian> Firewalling that port for others than localhost. Cheers,

The trouble is that I'm using the same host for 8 different IPs,
and if it listens on all of them, then I have to be careful what the
other IPs are doing.

And this affects a lot more than Seaside... because I might also want an RFB
in there.

I see that there *is* a call to specify the interface in Socket class, but
there's no support for it at any level higher (such as WAKom).  Would it be
useful to anyone besides me to allow interface to be specified along with
Port, patching all the packages from top to bottom to make that work?

Re: listening on INADDR_ANY?

Michael Rueger-6
Randal L. Schwartz wrote:

> Sebastian> Firewalling that port for others than localhost. Cheers,
>
> The trouble is that I'm using the same host for 8 different IPs,
> and if it listens on all of them, then I have to be careful what the
> other IPs are doing.

As part of the work for OLPC there is a new version of the Socket Plugin
that works with IPv6 and also supports multiple interfaces and protocols
and such.
AFAIK none of this has been ported to other platforms yet. I think the
code is checked into the VM svn, but not sure.

Michael

Re: [Vm-dev] Re: listening on INADDR_ANY?

Bert Freudenberg

On Dec 19, 2007, at 14:42 , Michael Rueger wrote:

>> Sebastian> Firewalling that port for others than localhost. Cheers,
>> The trouble is that I'm using the same host for 8 different IPs,
>> and if it listens on all of them, then I have to be careful what the
>> other IPs are doing.
>
> As part of the work for OLPC there is a new version of the Socket
> Plugin that works with IPv6 and also supports multiple interfaces
> and protocols and such.
> AFAIK none of this has been ported to other platforms yet. I think
> the code is checked into the VM svn, but not sure.

It is.

- Bert -

Re: listening on INADDR_ANY?

Joshua ben Jore
On Dec 18, 2007 7:35 AM, Randal L. Schwartz <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Sebastian> Firewalling that port for others than localhost. Cheers,
>
> The trouble is that I'm using the same host for 8 different IPs,
> and if it listens on all of them, then I have to be careful what the
> other IPs are doing.
>
> And this affects a lot more than Seaside... because I might also want an RFB
> in there.
>
> I see that there *is* a call to specify the interface in Socket class, but
> there's no support for it at any level higher (such as WAKom).  Would it be
> useful to anyone besides me to allow interface to be specified along with
> Port, patching all the packages from top to bottom to make that work?

It'd be useful to me. I've got a KomHttp server which is highly
private to the running image. I'm going to want that patching sooner
or later.

Josh

Re: listening on INADDR_ANY?

Giovanni Corriga
Joshua ben Jore ha scritto:

>> Sebastian> Firewalling that port for others than localhost. Cheers,
>>
>> The trouble is that I'm using the same host for 8 different IPs,
>> and if it listens on all of them, then I have to be careful what the
>> other IPs are doing.
>>
>> And this affects a lot more than Seaside... because I might also want an RFB
>> in there.
>>
>> I see that there *is* a call to specify the interface in Socket class, but
>> there's no support for it at any level higher (such as WAKom).  Would it be
>> useful to anyone besides me to allow interface to be specified along with
>> Port, patching all the packages from top to bottom to make that work?
>
> It'd be useful to me. I've got a KomHttp server which is highly
> private to the running image. I'm going to want that patching sooner
> or later.

Making Kom listen on one interface only is already on my todo list (see
http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=6752 ). Unfortunately in the past 45
days I've been horribly busy. As soon as I can find some spare time,
I'll try to fix this.

        Giovanni

Re: listening on INADDR_ANY?

Randal L. Schwartz

Giovanni> Making Kom listen on one interface only is already on my todo list
Giovanni> (see http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=6752 ). Unfortunately in the
Giovanni> past 45 days I've been horribly busy. As soon as I can find some
Giovanni> spare time, I'll try to fix this.

Great!  Looking forward to it.